transvaalicus spray vid

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Please, DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME, no, I'm not a professional, I'm just crazy! I messed with the scorpion a little beforehand to check it's "mood". But they can be very unpredictable with that strong fast tail, so just tell yourself you're not dumb enough to try this if you have any of these. I'm unnecessarily risky with the bug stuff now and then, a little over confident with them, so ...don't get stung! I really wanted to clear this up because there still seems to be a lot of doubters out there and I finally got around to doing it a while ago. I could've at least used some gloves. So, here is is. I could've have set it up better. You can notice early in the vid that the scorp sprays fairly far to the right, it's hard to catch but once you look for it, you will see it.

Last edited:

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
cool vid but your crazy...;P
and they definatly spray the venom not flick it.

moose

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I looked at the photobucket vid and noticed it lost some quality during the upload, you can't see the time she squirted far at the beginning, it was before I put my right hand up to the scorp.

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Finally a video.
Thanks.

And damn, that's a lot of venom.

Put this on youtube and it'd probably become a hit, lol.

Just like the spitting cobra spraying a lion.(Even though it was edited)

Warren Bautista

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, I had no idea they actually "sprayed" venom, I was under the impression they would flick their tails in order to project the venom.

calum

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
that's a great job you did with the footage.. I never thought I would see one actually do it.

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Is that what they all do, or just that type??
Neat video!! And do you breed them or study them? What would be the reason for doing that??
Thanks for sharing:)

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is that what they all do, or just that type??
Neat video!! And do you breed them or study them? What would be the reason for doing that??
Thanks for sharing:)
This is the only specie of Parabuthus.
Some Hadrurus have been said to do it, but no one has confirmed it.

He did it to show us, duh.

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

thanks
And I meant why did he do it in the first place, does he study them, just his hobby etc...

I just reread his post stating that he's not a professional, so, guess that it's just a hobby....
Still neat, thanks for sharing.

Vidaro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
to be honnest i thought that was a myth coz everyone was all talk but no proof.
Thnx for the vid:)

psychofox

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

It is not only P. transvaalicus. According to Gary a. Polis (The biology of scorpions), venom-squirting has been described in seven species of Parabuthus.

Really nice video Galapoheros:)

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Intersting video, you can clearly see the scorpion squirting considerable amounts of venom from the aculeus (while the vesicle was tapped with the finger). Now there is still the discussion if they can truly aim, or just squirt (not spraying) in the direction they think the threat comes from. That is what this video doesn't proove.

Well, mayne an idea for the next video :D Put it in a enclosure with a nice, big, hungry rat and see if it squirts venom to the rat.

Lucozade3000

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Does the venom have to be injected to be effective? (small preys)
Does it have any corrosive properties? (cld be rash/burn on ur hand) can it be absorbed through the skin layers?
Awesome video! you're insane.

-J

Vidaro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Does it have any corrosive properties? (cld be rash/burn on ur hand) can it be absorbed through the skin layers?

-J
any cut or injury can be infected by the venom if dropped on also if it hits the eyes of course, this type of defense is usually aimed against animals who might go in close to smell or nib on the scorpion like cats dogs,rats etc..

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

-J

It is meant to hit eyes since venom can get to the blood vessels through them.

And any venom can get into the blood stream if there's a cut, or something.

You can drink Venom with no problem.

But if you have a cut in your gums, or along your esophogus, then it would be problematic.

Androctonus_bic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Gala! You get it! :worship:

But don't try to many times that because we need you in the hobby!