Looking for spiderman.

mandipants

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So my boyfriend isn't to into the tarantulas like I am. He is however interested in keeping a few of the smaller "true" spiders. He want's the species that are shown in the movie spiderman (I know, he's a little dorky). I don't even know where to begin tracking these guys down. I've narrowed it down to the genus (which is good enough for me). So, can anyone help me aquire a Salticus (jumping spider) Atrax (funnel web) and Misumena (crab spider)?

-Don't worry, we're not going to try any crazy DNA altering or radiation expermintation on them.

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Salticus sp. arent all that common, and are pretty small, so I wouldnt exactly recommend them...

Atrax... Without going into the fact that they are deadly... Good luck getting one outside of Australia, and even then if you do, it was illegal to export it in the first place.

Misumena, the only good choice on your list. These can be found most anywhere, do decently in captivity(but might need flying prey like bees and houseflies), and are large enough to warrant keeping. Best place to get one is any place in your area with a large number of flowers, just start checking the flowers.

(Though, the spiders actually used were Olios sp., Kukulcania sp., an Agelenidae, and then the "genetically engineered" spiders were all Steatoda grossa painted with acrylic paints.)

mandipants

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for the info! I shall pass it along to my hunny. I think he'd be better off with a T. anyway :p

Salticus sp. arent all that common, and are pretty small, so I wouldnt exactly recommend them...

Atrax... Without going into the fact that they are deadly... Good luck getting one outside of Australia, and even then if you do, it was illegal to export it in the first place.

Misumena, the only good choice on your list. These can be found most anywhere, do decently in captivity(but might need flying prey like bees and houseflies), and are large enough to warrant keeping. Best place to get one is any place in your area with a large number of flowers, just start checking the flowers.

(Though, the spiders actually used were Olios sp., Kukulcania sp., an Agelenidae, and then the "genetically engineered" spiders were all Steatoda grossa painted with acrylic paints.)

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Start with a kuk or two. They are like mini-Ts and actually continue to molt after adulthood...and live a long time. ..and easy to keep, handle, etc.

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
has he seen "eight legged freaks"? there's plenty more true spider cg there:}

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Reading that article made me think how perfect it is in response to your bf's love of Spiderman and as a reference to a disappointment I had with the Spiderman movies.

The article talks about the different kinds of spider silk and its various uses, and about research into producing a man made synthetic version. In the Spiderman comics and the animated TV show, Peter Parker made his own synthetic webbing. He was always using his knowledge of chemistry to improve the formula, and sometimes alter the formula to achieve various characteristics for certain situations.

So, I was sorely disappointed when they did away with that, and made the spinnerets spontaneously appear out of his wrists :rolleyes:, esp. since they kept in his aptitude for science.

Also I thought if anything, he would shoot web from close to his ass if they wanted to make sense homologically. However, the article speculates that spinnerets may have evolved from legs, so in a way it does make more sense that it would come out of his wrists!

toolrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The specimens shown in the movie Spider Man and the one that bit him was a Steatoda Grossa.

Ricardo

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The specimens shown in the movie Spider Man and the one that bit him was a Steatoda Grossa.
Kevin (What) mentioned that.
They had a make-up artist paint a gassed grossa so to have the stupid spiderman underwear colors.
I cant believe how boring those movies are vs how much cash they banked. Goes to show...well... something. :wall:

Animalia

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They had a make-up artist paint a gassed grossa so to have the stupid spiderman underwear colors.
I cant believe how boring those movies are vs how much cash they banked. Goes to show...well... something. :wall:
lulz ^

iv been a spidey fan for ever but

comics > movies
other marvel movies > spidey trilogy
i was very un happy :mad: :evil: :mad: :( :mad: :evil: :mad:

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Jumping spiders are fun. I had one of these I gave to a friend. They are cool. He needs to get over it and get a t though.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer

how much do you think the guy painting the spider gt paid for his "work"? lol

*the next big fashion Painted spiders!* they do it with fish already :/

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
how much do you think the guy painting the spider gt paid for his "work"? lol
Probably enough to buy a nice car. :? ;)

Only superhero movies I liked so far...
The Incredibles, Watchmen, The Maxx(TV series) and Spawn. Push...i need to watch again ...had some awesome looking superhero moments. Iron man ...out of the films about those popular old school comic heros.. it at least was fun.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i would love to see pics or a video of the process of that it sounds interesting. i remember seeing photos of an artist painting the infamous death's head moth from silence of the lambs to make it have a really realistic looking skull on its back, it was a very impressive procedure, and its a shame that after all that work and the cool poster that it never got a very good closeup in the film.

John

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
So my boyfriend isn't to into the tarantulas like I am. He is however interested in keeping a few of the smaller "true" spiders. He want's the species that are shown in the movie spiderman (I know, he's a little dorky). I don't even know where to begin tracking these guys down. I've narrowed it down to the genus (which is good enough for me). So, can anyone help me aquire a Salticus (jumping spider) Atrax (funnel web) and Misumena (crab spider)?

-Don't worry, we're not going to try any crazy DNA altering or radiation expermintation on them.
we have salticus scenicus here in the springs. i could find you a dozen in about 10 min.

other good starter spiders include Steatoda, which are next to impossible to kill, and my favorite- latrodectus (although maybe a few months wait would be advisable with these).