Do you Purchase or make your own enclosures?

dougle

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a question to you all in this great hobby,I want to know as much as possible how many of you purchase high end acrylic T enclosures ? and how many of you modify your own T containers? The fact is some of the high end acrylic T enclosures cost more than the Ts that go into them with a few exceptions , but I must admit the acrylic enclosures are a work of art and are a great showpiece. The fact is if you were to purchase the high end acrylic enclosures to house your Ts ,the enclosures would be worth more than your collection,what do you all think about that?

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I modify and create every enclosure.

Slings

Juvies

Big gals

Its easier and cheaper to mod and make your own enclosures. And the best thing is that you can make it to your own specs, change your mind and create another version of your creations.

Last year I made 13 of these and it cost me about $20-25 per.

If your handy, go for it.

PIG-

Steve Calceatum

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Nice enclosures PIG!!! I've been modifying standard 5 and 10 gallon aquariums ala Robc. My 10-gallon Pokie viv cost (not including decorative moss, and substrate): $15 for the tank & clips, $15 for plexi and hardware, and $3 for hot-glue sticks. Grand total: $33, and about 4 hours or so to set up. Although, after seeing PIG's enclosure pics and giving it some thought, I might just get some acrylic sheets, sillicone, a skillsaw & T-square, and go to town.

vvx

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Of my display cages, about half were built half were bought. If you try to clone tarantulacages style cages the cost savings are not significant. The largest expense being the acrylic itself. If you want it pre-cut to size expect to pay more. You don't really want to use 1/8" thick and the cost goes up significantly as thickness. For most cages 3/16" is fine, for very large cages you probably wouldn't consider less than 1/4".

So if you have the hookup/connection on an acrylic supplier you can probably save a lot of money. If you choose to build cages in some other fashion, such as modifying kitchen storage jars, michael's cubes, and the like you can save even more.

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If you try to clone tarantulacages style cages the cost savings are not significant.

I bought a sheet of 3/16", had it cut (I cut lids and floors) purchased hinges and hasps, and adhesive all for under $300.00. I made 13 enclosures all for under $25.00 a piece. Now last I ck'd thats a whopping savings over any hobby made enclosure.

All one needs is the desire to do it yourself and alot of money can be saved.
These are over a yr old, two hold my P metallicas and they couldn't be happier.

I have seen other hobbyists make beautiful acrylic enclosures why can't others and save.

If you can't, or don't have the time, then by all means pay someone else, I chose to save a bundle.

PIG-

JDeRosa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I build my own, but only because premade ones have a waste of space. Why put a burrower in a 10 gal. if it's going to live in one corner of it. I could save a lot on substrate.

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Mostly make my own, maybe a couple hundred over that past four years or so.
I like the versatility of tailoring the environment for each individual situation, the expandability, and of course the economic aspects. I've done dozens of different sizes and shapes but nothing really big as the cost goes up exponentially with size and 2.5/5/10 gal tanks are reasonably cheap. Fairly easy to construct if you have a bit of equipment and aptitude for it though I wouldn't recommend it otherwise. A few years ago, following many requests, I put together a DIY/tutorial but it just kept getting bigger and changing as I learned and modified techniques, it seems I never can completely finish it. Maybe I should just put it out there as-is, otherwise I guess it was all a waste of effort.

Bill

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Nice enclosures PIG!!! I've been modifying standard 5 and 10 gallon aquariums ala Robc. My 10-gallon Pokie viv cost (not including decorative moss, and substrate): $15 for the tank & clips, $15 for plexi and hardware, and $3 for hot-glue sticks. Grand total: $33, and about 4 hours or so to set up. Although, after seeing PIG's enclosure pics and giving it some thought, I might just get some acrylic sheets, sillicone, a skillsaw & T-square, and go to town.
Thanks, my next project is to convert some 5 and 10 gallon tanks into seamless tanks. If you know anything about fish tank displays, you would fall in love with european tanks which do not have the plastic molding around the top and bottom.

To that end, I bought a plumers torch, and I intend to take the plastic retainers off by heating them till the adhesive melts. Then I plan on removing one end of the tank and replacing it with wire mesh. Next I will add a glass substrate retainer and a glass door.

The reason that I want an all glass tank is strictly for looks and practicality. Its eaisier to clean glass and it won't haze with years of exposure.

I plan on completing a few within a couple of weeks.
I'll post pics when done.

PIG-

Spyder 1.0

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
wow,wow,wow,wow,wow

hold on a minute.

LOL Post whatever DIY stuff you have asap! Those look gorgeous.

dougle

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
dougle

You guys are very skillful ,man I wish I could do that

LadyVenom

Arachnopeon
Bill, your enclosures are gorgeous, but I have to say, I LOVE your P. metallica. They have always been my favorite.

DreadLobster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Those acrylic setups look great.

Important to note though- don't ever spend much on an enclosure. Good deals are all over, you just have to know where to look, and be creative. I recommend The Container Store (look them up online if they don't have an actual store near you). For smaller T's or slings, you can get nice looking acrylic cubes for literally 75 cents for the small ones and less than 4 or 5 dollars for a bigger one. They also have all sorts of bigger display cases, plastic shoe boxes and food containers that can be made into perfect enclosures. Robc has a tutorial somewhere on here about how to make the shoe box ones into nice terrestrial enclosures... and I think they're only around $7 if I'm not mistaken.

I use a few aquariums... but don't ever pay much for one of those either. You can find them super cheap if you look around goodwill or craigs list and not the pet store.

Also, if you're using an aquarium... most of the time, the lid costs as much if not more as the actual tank. So I would highly recommend making your own lid out of acrylic or wood/screen or whatever you can think of. It'll be cheaper, and you can set it up to fit your needs and the needs of your T.

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
billopelma and WARPIG, you guys should make a video and post it on youtube. Those cages are awesome.

TarantulaCages.com

Arachnopeon
I make my own, and also sell them for you to purchase. I keep all of my spiders in them, except for spiderlings.

My acrylic design, which I have been producing since 2007 has worked out very well for my customers, which is why they buy them. I believe an enclosure can be a factor that determines the life or death of your spider, so why not house it in one that will ensure it livelihood. Not to mention they look very attractive compared to traditional setups.

Many people prefer not to build their own, since not everyone considers themselves handy with tools etc. Just like many things you buy in life, it is wiser to buy it from a professional to save yourself the time, grief, and money to get the quality item you desire. Most people tell me they saved time and money by buying cages from me, since they made many mistakes with the expensive acrylic they were trying to work with.

As far as the comparison of cost of the tarantula to the enclosure it is in... most enclosures can outlive its inhabitant, which I believe increases its overall value, and the two together as one is what is really important.

biomarine2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I make my own, and also sell them for you to purchase. I keep all of my spiders in them, except for spiderlings.

My acrylic design, which I have been producing since 2007 has worked out very well for my customers, which is why they buy them. I believe an enclosure can be a factor that determines the life or death of your spider, so why not house it in one that will ensure it livelihood. Not to mention they look very attractive compared to traditional setups.

Many people prefer not to build their own, since not everyone considers themselves handy with tools etc. Just like many things you buy in life, it is wiser to buy it from a professional to save yourself the time, grief, and money to get the quality item you desire. Most people tell me they saved time and money by buying cages from me, since they made many mistakes with the expensive acrylic they were trying to work with.

As far as the comparison of cost of the tarantula to the enclosure it is in... most enclosures can outlive its inhabitant, which I believe increases its overall value, and the two together as one is what is really important.
To be honest I think your enclosures are the best but a little pricey for me. I'm a DIY man and would rather save the money. If yours were cheaper I might buy a few of them. Maybe thats just me.