On your mark, get set, GO!

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was reading the thread about stepping stone Ts and it got me to wondering about ranking tarantulas by their speed. What order would you place them from fastest to slowest, based on your experience or opinion. This is in a footrace, perhaps over a 2’ distance (not strike speed). So here’s a list of Ts:

S. cal
H. mac
Pokies
OBT
Taps
Iridopelma (are these fast or more like avics?)
LV (Sing blue)
Psalmos
GBB (heard a few mention they can be pretty fast)

For a genus, if there’s a speed difference between say, a P. metallica and a P. formosa, make mention of it. Feel free to throw any others into the mix. If you think a Ceratogyrus, Phlogius, Cyriopagopus, or Chilobrachys could outpace an OBT, for example, get ‘em in there.

From my experience, H. mac is slightly faster than P. regalis. That, and from what I’ve read, I’d put it something like this:
Taps > S. cal > H. mac > Psalmos > Pokies > LV > OBT > GBB – Iridopelma(I have no idea)

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Unless there is a way to force a T to run at full tilt, and then measure that speed, this 'race' is way too close to call.

Even the, typically slower, terrestrial Ts are capable of surprising speed.

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I can only go by my own experience but pokies seem a bit fast :rolleyes:
Rufs out of that species seem a bit faster too:rolleyes: probably because there legs seem like they are 8 foot long in comparison to their bodies {D
paul