how does death curl look like?

mozkaynak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
could anyone describe or better show a picture or illustration of death curl?
Thank you very much highly appreciated.

ghordy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Google it.

It's too upsetting for members on this board.

Oh my gawd... Lulu! Lulu!

Miss Bianca

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes! Or better yet, there are probably pictures right here on the boards...

Try 'deathcurl' or 'deceased'..

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Take your hand, palm down on a table.

Now curl your fingers up at the first knuckle like your making a fist but don't go all the way to a fist.

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There's no way you haven't seen a dead spider ever...you ever see one with the legs curled under the body? That's a death curl.

The first guy who posted wasn't kidding when he said many users here don't like the sight of it. I freaked out when my wolf spider was in a death curl....TWICE...

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
could anyone describe or better show a picture or illustration of death curl?
Thank you very much highly appreciated.
You asked for it, you got it. Click the thumbnail if you need a larger version.

Warning: If the tarantula doesn't smell dead it may not be. Immediately move it into an ICU (do a search) and cross your fingers. These creatures are sometimes capable of performing some amazing resurrections!

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My 6" A. geniculata in the death curl. DKS killed her. All legs would be under the spider

She was my favorite and my first tarantula death in 9 years.

satanslilhelper

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
This is by far the most depressing thread I have EVER seen.:eek:

Shame on you. You made someone show my favorite T in a death curl.:embarrassed:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Man, that's like asking what a dog smeared on the road looks like.. no one wants to see it :(

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i agree that what a death curl looks like is something that a T keeper should know, but a search would have been the more considerate route to go.(that's what i did) Why would you want people to post pics of dead Ts when some of us consider them part of the family............:confused:

That said
toes under body=death curl
knees over carapace=pouting/ stressed

Roski

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh well this was a nice thread to wake up to... excuse me while I go check up on my Ts to reassure myself and to get these images out of my head.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh well this was a nice thread to wake up to... excuse me while I go check up on my Ts to reassure myself and to get these images out of my head.
Thanks for the laugh. Theres nothing wrong with seeing dead T's. Its a fact of life. Loved ones die all the time. In the case with the hobby, the death curls often gets confused with other poses that the tarantula does. These are the poses that are similar but are super confortable poses I have found my T's doing. I have many but these are just a couple.
Male P. regalis

Female A. geniculata

Female P. regalis

Female B. boehmei

Last edited:

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A lot of times it seems tarantulas like to clean their feet/palps after a meal and that has startled me a few times.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Forgot to add...
How do you tell the difference? Theres always one or two legs partially extended in these poses. Most of the time its the rear legs. I have been seeing these poses for years. Like I stated above, its only done when they are super confortable. Its like letting their guard down.

DooM_ShrooM

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
its sad to see such a thing.......may i ask something ......its also sad but i just need to know.....what is the distinct smell of a dead T? sorry for the question but....:( i just need to know

JackieFarber

Arachnopeon
wow some people on here get way too seriouse....he wanted to see what a dead tarantula looks like...it's not the end of the world....everything dies....and i love my tarantula but in the end it is a spider and it will die someday...you don't need to go check on your spider because you saw a picture of a dead one....

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
its sad to see such a thing.......may i ask something ......its also sad but i just need to know.....what is the distinct smell of a dead T? sorry for the question but....:( i just need to know
Like something dead...? To me it smells like any dead reptile or small mammal...