live plants for enclosures

JDeRosa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am seeing a lot of people put these plants that grow along the side of their enclosures. What kinds of plants are these? Do you water them by pouring water directly on the substrate? Where could I get them?

What would be a good plant for an arboreal enclosure?

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am seeing a lot of people put these plants that grow along the side of their enclosures. What kinds of plants are these?
It is usually pothos.

Do you water them by pouring water directly on the substrate?
Yes, but it has very low water requirements. Some research on it would be prudent, before trying to grow it in a tank with a tarantula.

Where could I get them?
It is a very popular plant, because it is so hardy. This means almost anywhere that sells plants, will have some.

What would be a good plant for an arboreal enclosure?
Pothos is, but there are several others. We use many different plants in our adult enclosures.

Buddy up to the search engine, loan it a cigarette and search for planted enclosures or naturalistic enclosures, both should yield you several threads with good information. :D

nickn

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm thinking about doing some live plants as well. I want something nice for the smithi female I plan to buy. Gonna have to figure out how to properly clean and replant the pothos into the Tarantula enclosure though.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm thinking about doing some live plants as well. I want something nice for the smithi female I plan to buy. Gonna have to figure out how to properly clean and replant the pothos into the Tarantula enclosure though.
Pothos wouldn't work well with a B. smithi, they like it too dry. Go for some succulents instead, that is what we have in our G. rosea enclosure.

nickn

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ah yeah, total fail on my part. I dont know what I'm talking about I know better, I'm drying out substrate for it now lol..

Is there any succulents I need to keep away from thats bad for the T? Anything is cool as long as it has no spines or needles to hurt her? Im pretty excited, I found a 3" smithi for 80 lag shipped.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Pothos wouldn't work well with a B. smithi, they like it too dry. Go for some succulents instead, that is what we have in our G. rosea enclosure.
Actyually not true, I water all my pothos with a food injector and the top layer of substrate never gets damp.

nickn

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ill be using the herphaven thats 13"L 5"H 7"W

I gotta come up with a "cave" for her too.

The Dude

Arachnopeon
I usually just use weeds that I find outside like the little clover plants and stuff like that since they are pretty easy to grow. I just wash them off really good and plant them in there. They grow really fast too.

unprofessional

Arachnopeon
"Wandering Jew" also works well if you want something with a bit different color - it's more of a purple. Takes well to cutting.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ah yeah, total fail on my part. I dont know what I'm talking about I know better, I'm drying out substrate for it now lol..

Is there any succulents I need to keep away from thats bad for the T? Anything is cool as long as it has no spines or needles to hurt her? Im pretty excited, I found a 3" smithi for 80 lag shipped.
That's what we paid for ours at that same size, but at a LPS. She is beautiful!

This is what we have currently, but we do have compact flourescents on all planted enclosures, so you would have to check out the light requirements before you purchase any. Plants aren't hard to take care of, but doing some quick research on the basics(if you don't already know), would be helpful.

We have also kept hen and chicks, desert rose and i am blanking on the name of the other one. Truthfully, Mr. Gone does more with the plants inside and i do more outside......

nickn

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
How did he get the plants ready for transfer to the new tank? I just dont wanna take bugs in there. Uproot them and just wash them under tap water?

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
"Wandering Jew" also works well if you want something with a bit different color - it's more of a purple. Takes well to cutting.
It needs a fair amount of light, but it is gorgeous when it finally takes off. We have some in 2 of our enclosures. It is probably my favorite plant that we use.

It is the green and white striped leaves, it is purple on the underside and the stem is a pinky purple.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How did he get the plants ready for transfer to the new tank? I just dont wanna take bugs in there. Uproot them and just wash them under tap water?
Those are buried in the pots they were purchased in.(makes it easier to water just them) We looked them over, but otherwise did nothing else.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Actyually not true, I water all my pothos with a food injector and the top layer of substrate never gets damp.
Aaah but we don't have that nifty contraption! Pothos also doesn't look quite right in a dry loving specie's enclosure, at least to us.;) It's more of a humid, jungly enclosure type plant, but it just boils down to personal preference i guess.

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's what we paid for ours at that same size, but at a LPS. She is beautiful!

This is what we have currently, but we do have compact flourescents on all planted enclosures, so you would have to check out the light requirements before you purchase any.
How do the Ts react to having thier tanks lit? :?

nickn

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well I know a little bit about plants, I just never put them in a cage of a pet. I will take some of the wives pothos and see if I can cut it and get it to root. I will run to petsmart tommarow and see what I can come up with for a cave or wood for her.

Thanks everyone.

Also I didnt get any posts on the post I asked about using the HerpHavens with the vents in the plastic on the sides, near the top (not the actual lid) just wondering if those are safe for use.

nickn

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Im wondering the same question. Mine seem very inactive and seem to dislike that I keep the light on during the day in there room. This isnt even a bright light.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As long as they have a place to get out of the light they are fine.

The G. rosea will sometimes bask in it, the H. sp.Vietnam never comes out except at night(so it's not a problem), our A. metallica didn't seem to mind at all and the P. cambridgei has lots of leaves to hide under and does.