P.ornata commune

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just got some ornata slings (prettiest Pokie slings I've seen!), wondering how they rate among Pokies as far as housing them communally.

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm pretty sure they're not communal... (I could be wrong, but I think thats what I read. maybe someone with more pokie experiance pops in)

WelshTan

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I havn't got ornata but I do have 3 P. regalis which are doing very well in their communal set up. I also have 2 P. striata but they are not in a communal set up. Sorry I can't help you on the ornata's but I would suggest to use a spacious enclosure (but not too big) which will allow the ornata's to establish their own territories within the set up so they are not right on top of each other. Btw how many do you have in your commune? I only have 3 but will expand to more when more become available

WelshTan

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have just done quick searches through other sites and the general rule seems to be that "only P. regalis, P. fasciata, P. rufilata, and P. subfusca are examples of Pokies that will live together. However there is always the chance of cannabalism, so if the pokies you have housed communally are precious to you, or hard to replace, I would suggest housing them individually."

here is the link to a good guide

http://www.arachnidaddicts.com/tarantula-discussion-f2/a-newbie-guide-to-poecilotheria-t168.htm

Agent Jones

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As far as I know, ornatas are pretty intolerant of each other. Maybe try a regalis commune? I'm biased, though, regalis is my favvie.

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've got 6 (just under an inch LS), have had fine success with as many regalises and rufies, but these things already think they're H.macs! Can't believe it -- a Pokie that's actually nasty ;P

Yeah, thought I remembered reading that they were not ones to house together, just checking. Thanks!

maitre

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just started a commune of 3 rufilatas and 3 formosa and they're doing well. Based on what I read, Ornata's are higher risk in terms of housing communally

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have just done quick searches through other sites and the general rule seems to be that "only P. regalis, P. fasciata, P. rufilata, and P. subfusca are examples of Pokies that will live together. However there is always the chance of cannabalism, so if the pokies you have housed communally are precious to you, or hard to replace, I would suggest housing them individually."

here is the link to a good guide

http://www.arachnidaddicts.com/tarantula-discussion-f2/a-newbie-guide-to-poecilotheria-t168.htm
miranda.......

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Been advised by Dan our pokie expert over here that ornata are definately a no no as far as communes go.