P.regalis, fangs dripping liquid.

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
Anyone know what is could be? My P.regalis molted, maybe three days ago, and dripped a single drop of clear liquid from her fangs. Now her fangs have completely dried up and appear to be normal. Anyone know what that single drop was?

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Anyone know what is could be? My P.regalis molted, maybe three days ago, and dripped a single drop of clear liquid from her fangs. Now her fangs have completely dried up and appear to be normal. Anyone know what that single drop was?
Probably venom.

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Tarantulas are known to do this from time to time. There are countless postings on this.

We don't know what it is, exactly, but it's probably not venom. The most likely thing might be some sort of regurgitation, or leftovers from drinking (which probably collect around the mouth, and then appear as drops leaking from the fangs.. even though they've never left the fangs).

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
^^^ Agreed, I've seen this on my MM A. avicularia and on my 1" A. sp. "Flagstaff orange"

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
but it's probably not venom.
it would be helpful to know what was being done at the time this was observed. i've had a couple of very pissed-off T's drip venom.

but i also agree with you that it most likely was not. if it was not being harassed i highly doubt it's venom. probably some sort of cleaning something or other, it's been discussed on here before.

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
it would be helpful to know what was being done at the time this was observed. i've had a couple of very pissed-off T's drip venom.
I wasn't doing anything. I haven't opened her enclosure since I got her in. I just walked into the room and noticed her mouth was wet, kept looking at her for about 5 mins and witnessed a drop form and then go down the enclosure.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
it's 'drool.' an excretion of fluids that aide in cleaning.

spiderfield

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
...just throwing in my observations as well...

I've noticed this in a few of my Ts as well, mostly in my Theraphosas and my Nhandus. They'll leave it on the walls of their enclosures (kritter keepers, aquariums) when they stand and try to reach for the top. Its some sort of clear liquid; always thought it was water, but I doubt it. :?

mickey66

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
^^^ Agreed, I've seen this on my MM A. avicularia and on my 1" A. sp. "Flagstaff orange"
My 1.5" A. New River was doing this last night after feeding...a big drop of venom that just clung there for a long time.

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
I just thought you guys would like to see exactly what I was looking at, and also for recording purposes. Let me just repeat, the P.regalis did not move throughout the whole process. It's fangs went from completely dry to forming a drop of liquid that fell to the bottom of the enclosure.

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
for sure drool, i actually no joke had a H. mac drool and clean herself while on my hand, i freaked out for a min thinking she had been leaking or something....then realized shes good to go and let her do her thing for almost 20 mins then she got pissy and i put her back lol.

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My A. avic does this against her enclosure walls and while initially thinking it was water from a possible water dish raid; instead it stayed on the wall and dried a deep brown, not clear as water would.

I think it's 'drool' as mentioned and aids in flushing out the chelicerian area including the fangs and mouth parts.

I've also seen her ooze this liquid then groom herself. While I can't say it was used AS a grooming solution or a flushing effect after grooming to flush out the remaining `stuff` caught in that area after.

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It's very common for T's to do this.The only time you need to worry is when
the fluid has color to it and if it's white or yellowish white then I would keep
a close watch on her.But when it's clear theres nothing to worry about.