Cyriocosmus ritae, anyone?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So, finally got these two to spend some quality time together:

That last one isn't the best quality but it shows an insertion.

Anyway, I was wondering how many people have experience breeding ritae? I know all about elegans, but can't find much on ritae.

Anyone with experience and advice on this would be appreciated. I'd sure like to get some of these captive bred guys into the hobby. :)

--Joe

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah, they're pretty small. :)

The male is definitely one of my favorites. He's a poo-shooter, though.

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh wow, I've never seen these before. I'm not too familiar with Cyriocosmus outside of elegans and perezmilesi. These little guys are definitely really cool. Hope she produces a sac for you. Good luck and congrats.

-Cass

pouchedrat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Congrats!! My pairing ended badly with my C. ritae. The last time I tried it the female munched the male. They did cohabitate for a week prior to that happening, though, where I am not sure if they mated or not. The male matured 8/20, witnessed sperm webs, paired 10/1 with female.

My female's getting fat, but it's the fourth week now since the last attempted pairing which resulted in the death of my boy, and she's been hanging out right in the open, so I'm assuming it probably wasn't successful. Especially since it's a Cyriocosmus species. I think I read somewhere these guys were somewhat nomadic? I know mine never made a burrow.

My girl shoots poo, too, and she'll even JUMP small distances like an avic!

The male and female (10/1/09, not doing a darn thing, lol, but hanging out together)

My female as of today 11/1/09 (it's been a month, I don't see this as being successful, and I never witnessed anything anyway). Only reason she was on my thumb, she climbed out so I took the opportunity to snap a photo.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
She's definitely chubby. I hope she drops a sac for you. :)

I never let mine cohab, but I put the male in with the female and left them alone for a bit (the initial introduction resulted in both of them bolting in opposite directions). They calmed down, and did their thing. I'm not sure yet if I want to put the male in there again or not (they were together with him making insertions for about 2 1/2 hours). I guess that will depend on how my female acts over the next week or so.

--Joe

EDIT: Just checked on the female, and she has made a burrow and sealed it off with a thin layer of silk. Prior to this, she has never made a burrow, so I'm taking it as a good sign. :)

pouchedrat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Definitely a good sign! I know mine never did, hense why I doubt she'll drop anything for me. Usually Cyrio's drop sacks not too far after the mating, at least C. elegans do. These guys are bigger, but can't be too much of a difference.

I guess I could look into finding another male, but I loved that boy a lot. I was sad to see him go, although I knew the risk.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well, it should be pretty obvious that I have a male... ;)

Not sure how I feel about sending him to a cannibalistic female, though. :}

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Congrats on the successful pairing!

By the sounds of things the female is showing all the right signs for sac making :)

Out of interest, what is the usual mate-to-sac time in this species?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Good question; I wish I knew the answer.

C. elegans is a couple weeks, so I'm assuming it will be something similar.

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
EDIT: Just checked on the female, and she has made a burrow and sealed it off with a thin layer of silk. Prior to this, she has never made a burrow, so I'm taking it as a good sign. :)

Beautiful lil T's, GL. Def good sign that she sealed herself off like that.

What do you feed these slings, they will be so small???

PIG-

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
No experience with ritae yet, but elegans slings will eat cricket legs, small pre-killed crickets, meal worm chunks...they're pretty easy to deal with in that respect.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I wasn't clear yet on how/what I was going to feed them. I was thinking about breeding pinheads and using them; also possibly fruit flies.

After reading Jim's post, I'm pretty confident I'll be able to take care of them without any real issue; also, they will hopefully be popular enough that I won't have to feed them all for too long. ;)

pouchedrat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
yeah Cyrio slings will scavenge for chopped up mealworm bits, and usually eat pretty well, too. Fruit flies work as well

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Cool.

Btw pouchedrat, PM me and we can discuss my male if you need him.