A seemani ventral sex please!

Sterlingspider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Every time I think I have some idea what I'm doing with ventral sexing I look at a sexing thread and get all sorts of turned around and end up more confused then ever. Picked it up this weekend as a "stripe knee" based on the pretty slate colour and dead sexy price. I think its as safe as any other guess to say it's probably an A seemani.

So I'm asking you, which have I got?
Do I look for another full size tank or a future girlfriend?

Ether way, love the colour on this one! Based on how skinny it was and the lovely sheen I'm pretty sure it must've molted very shortly before I got it, so we'll see how that tone stands up to time.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
To me, that looks female. Here's why:

Male:

Female:

These are H. incei, but you get the idea of the difference between male and female.

--Joe

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yes male, not A. seemanni.

try A. sp"Guatemala"

cheers

Eddy

Sterlingspider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Le sigh....

I was really hoping for a bit more spirited debate than that, but if there's one thing tarantula keeping has taught me, is that you get what you get. Nearly fifteen hours on a tarantula message board with not one dissenting opinion, (and then only one dissenting opinion) that might be some kind of record. :p

Not that I won't be on the next shed with a magnifying glass the minute I can yank it from the tank, but in the meantime I won't get my hopes up and will mollify myself by contemplating the potential of future (just as pretty) babies.

Also it gives me another opportunity to shop for an A seemani.

The re-identification is pretty cool though, makes me feel like I still got a good find. I'm assuming this is based on the diagonal vs vertical line on the metatarsus? That's the only identifying difference I found while goofing off at work anyway.

Last edited:

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
For sure absolutely positively without a doubt a MALE!!!!

Sterlingspider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes I know this is thread necromancy, but given the hot debate at the time of original posting I figured it would be relevant to post my most recent pic of this tarantula...

I think the image speaks for itself :D

(pic also posted in the thread for the other tarantula of the two that were being compared, that one has not yet shed in my care)

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
The original pic is clearly female. The give away is the uniform length setae. Males will have densly packed setae tht are much shorter with 2-4 rows of fusulae. I am still learing to identify gender through ventral observation, but I quite pleased to see that Igot this one right. I must admit, all the "definitely male" responses were shaking my decision.

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey guys, can you tell me what this species is? Thats EXACTLY what mine looks like, and was sold to me as A. seemani. I can put up a picture id...

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You always get them right though. ;)

When I need one done, I'll be hoping for one of your "definitely female" responses. :)
Well, I'm not as good at ventral sexing as people seem to think, but thank you for the compliments. :)

Sterlingspider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey guys, can you tell me what this species is? Thats EXACTLY what mine looks like, and was sold to me as A. seemani. I can put up a picture id...
I thought mine was A seemani too originally, but if you look about a third of the way through this thread that gets corrected. The general consensus seems to be that it's an A. sp. Guatemala. The only obvious identifying characteristic that I've found is that Guatemala has a diagonal line (vs a vertical one for seemani) on the metatarsus.

Both of mine seemed to turn a singularly uninteresting brown in the last few months but the one in postmoult is now back to that lovely smoke/slate blue.