T. blondi (crooked leg/toe)

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
ok i recently aquired a 1inch T. blondi sling. ive had it for about 3 weeks and last night it molted. well when i got off work today i checked on it and removed the old exo from its enclosure. now this is what i saw. a perfectly fine looking T. but on its L1 leg the basitarsus and the telotarsus seems crooked.:? it basically looks as if it molted in a confined space but thats it, it didnt. it has high humidity(92%) and plenty of room and yet this still happened.:?

any ideas of what caused this?( i will post a pic in a few.)

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Probably awkward molting position, who knows?

I have a P. regalis that has the same thing going on, only it's about halfway down the leg. I figure it'll molt out or cast the leg. It's not interfering with eating so it's not really an issue.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah i know it probly isnt a "big issue" but it makes me nervous to have things go wrong with this sp. from my first molt...seeing as how these do have the molting issues...i just want to know what i could do better next time, so one day it doesnt have a bad molt and die.

anyway here is a pic of the leg.

View attachment 81334

View attachment 81335

Last edited:

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
also just to add.

yes it has pink feet, yesit was old as T. blondi not apophysis(spelling?) as far as i know both parents were captive bred BLONDI. so lets please not turn this into a "debate"

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thay will keep there pink feet till thay reach 3" or sometimes even 4".Don't
worry about the leg.She will molt it out on her next molt.There a cool looking
sling.

spiderfield

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Everything was okay before the molt though, right? Looks like it could have been an awkward molting position, as Joe suggested. If thats the case, it should straighten out next molt.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yours is much more mild than my regalis. I'll try and get some pics.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yes everything was fine before the molt. it ate like a pig and hid out all day long.

and joe lets see that regalis.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cody dont worry about it, that doesnt involve te regular feeding patterns of your T, so she will be just fine ;)

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So after looking at her again, it seems to be exactly like yours.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
sure does..hmm. so do you know what happened to yours? at any rate im just glad my T is still alive and well, hopefully they live up to there "fast growth" status ive heard about and molts soon enough. and i hope your regalis molts out soon too.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks for the good wishes, Cody. Same to your blondi.

As far as I'm concerned, it's the result of a molt. What conditions created it? Beats me.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Normally T blondis dont have any problems molting till they are really large, and just if it helps :) I can tell you that I have had A TON of enormous blondis (Maybe 100 since I started keeping them ? ) and not a single one had any problem at all molting.

Good feeding,variety of prey, propper temps and high humidity will do it cody :)

Good luck for you both :)

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Could you elaborate? Anything specific you had in mind?

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
I think that sling just earned the name "Captain Hook"

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Could you elaborate? Anything specific you had in mind?
I seem to remember reading about improper nutrition causing legs to curl...I am trying to find the source but am not having any luck. To me a nutritional issue seems more likely than an odd molting position, simply from the fact that the bend is in the center of the legs, and not the joints...(nothing really to back that up yet, just my thoughts)

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Id call him Stanky leg. Although I have an extreme level of dislike for that garbage style of music I think it suits as a name in this situation.:D

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think that sling just earned the name "Captain Hook"
hahah, thats a great name!

I seem to remember reading about improper nutrition causing legs to curl...I am trying to find the source but am not having any luck. To me a nutritional issue seems more likely than an odd molting position, simply from the fact that the bend is in the center of the legs, and not the joints...(nothing really to back that up yet, just my thoughts)
it has never been fed a vertabret, and is 1 inch. i have only fed it blata lateralis...so i highly doubt it is due o any nutritional problem. as if this were the case,All of me and joe's tarantulas would have "crooked legs"

Also it is NOT in the middle of the leg, but rather between the Basitarsus and the telotarsus joint. so im at loss as to what exactly happened.

un33dit

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think it is time for a crooked leg thread!!!

Here is a L. parahybana I picked up off of craigs list with a crooked leg!

-Gary