problem with eating - scorpion Opisthacanthus Rugiceps

frajer29

Arachnopeon
Hello. I have a question for people familiar with the problem, or having scorpions of the genus Opisthacanthus .... My Scorpion Opisthacanthus Rugiceps a long time do not want to take food. I suspect that it takes about 2 months. I have no idea whether these scorpions can do a hunger strike?

I would add that the scorpion is thin. This is not like an adult individual, so maybe a long time getting ready to molt ?

frajer29

Arachnopeon
Sometimes I try to claw it underlay the mealworm, but pushes on and does not want to eat. Or is the hunger, or he do not know.

Already mealworm head broke off, but probably nothing that could not.

winter_in_tears

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a tiny fork that use to help feed my scorps. Sometimes they respond better to hand feeding than chasing a cricket or a moth. When it comes to meal worms, these are almost always better to hand feed (fork, or spear of some kind, tweezers work too). Be gentle and don't be afraid to annoy your scorp. Bother him with the food until he gets angry and takes it. This does not work all the time because sometimes they just don't want to eat and some individuals are picky and want only certain types of food during a certain period of time.

rasputin

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Winter,
You probably don't understand the broken English but he's ripped the head off of a mealworm and offered it. Scorpions tend to be able to identify prey fairly well so if it so chooses to eat, we will hear about it.

rasputin

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Frajer,

I talked to Luc and this was his response:

Personal email from Luc said:
Inform him that he can set them up and keep them just like Opisthacahthus asper. While mine were primarily arboreal on sub-vertically arranged pieces of cork bark (Quercus suber), they would also excavate shallow burrows at the base of the cork bark and rest in their "chambers" during the day and forage upon the bark during the night. I'd recommend temperatures in the range of 78 to 82F during the day with maybe a 2-4 degree drop during the night. Humidity levels should be moderate (50 to 60%) and they will drink from water bowls or from water droplets sprayed on the cork bark. I had one female that would sit on my hand and drink water from my palm. Behaviorally and ecologically, they are very much like O. asper.

Cheers,
Luc
Hope this proves useful

Cheers,
R.S.

frajer29

Arachnopeon
Yes I know. I know the culture conditions Opisthacanthus Rugiceps. And with me is the temperature to within 24-26 * C (78-80F) and humidity at 55% - that is all OK.

Terrarium photo here below, where I keep the scorpion
http://i48.tinypic.com/2rqbl1w.jpg

scorpion probably hungry because I did not want or mealworm or cockroach:wall: :confused:

Last edited: