requesting a photo of MF B.Vagans

nicholo85

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was wondering if someone could post a photo of a MF B.Vagans that is at least 6 years of age.

I looked at the Brachypelma genus gallery and saw plenty of photos, but none really tell the age. Ive heard various talks on how Vagans can grow over 7 inches and can be considered one of the largest of the Brachypelmas.

So if you have a photo of a fairly large/old B.Vagans, would you mind posting a photo? I would really like to see it.

Thanks!

Edit: Mention their size too! Even better if theres a size reference on the photo :D

Last edited:

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

I have had her as an adult for 7 years, but I couldn't tell you how old she is since she's one of the WC 'Florida' B. vagans.

--Joe

osmbr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

I have had her as an adult for 7 years, but I couldn't tell you how old she is since she's one of the WC 'Florida' B. vagans.

--Joe
thats an awesome looking t you got there

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Xhexdx do you you know if thats a florida or a mexican vagan.I was just
wondering because I see you live in florida.Theres not suppose to be a big
difference between the two.The only difference that I know of is the florida
is suppose to get a little bigger.Anyway great looking vagan.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Xhexdx do you you know if thats a florida or a mexican vagan.I was just
wondering because I see you live in florida.Theres not suppose to be a big
difference between the two.The only difference that I know of is the florida
is suppose to get a little bigger.Anyway great looking vagan.

--Joe
I caught her myself.

;)

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes, but the male was a hobby vagans. Will be interesting to observe them as they grow, and to see if they all have the same colors as each other, or if some look more like hobby vagans and some look like FL vagans.

nicholo85

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks Joe. Whats her size?

Another question, why would the Florida Vagans get bigger than the Mexican one? I imagine if theyre the same specie, then the size difference would be due to its environment. If so, doesnt that mean that we can all get our Vagans to its biggest potential size with the right set up?

Edit: Thats an amazing looking T by the way. As I always say - gimme gimme!

nikinizor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
that is a nice looking T Joe! I was just wondering to myself last night if anyone has seen or caught any of the florida vagans...you answered my question unasked!...I am planning a sabbatical in which to go 'huntin' some T's in the u.s.a. maybe florida should be on my itinerary as well as the southwest states? or are they 'protected' in some way in florida?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
nicholo85 - I need to measure her, but she's at least 5". I'm not sure if one 'morph' of this species would be larger than the other, or why. Sorry.

nikinizor - Np on answering your question. :D I actually have three of them. They're not protected that I know of, but they are on private property.

Satellite Rob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I know some people swear that that florida vagan is bigger.I used drive 75
miles catch the florida Vagans.But I have been there inthe last 10 years.I used
to catch some monsters.I don't know why people say the florida Vagan get
bigger.It could be something as simply as a better diet.Who knows for sure.

Anansis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here's a couple of pictures of a wild B. vagans from Belize. She is much more than 5 inches. As you can see she is sitting on my knee.

I don't think that you can jump to the conclusion that the Florida specimens grow larger by comparing them to hobby specimens. I doubt very much if they grow any larger than other wild B. vagans left to their own resources.

Ollie

Roski

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Another question, why would the Florida Vagans get bigger than the Mexican one? I imagine if theyre the same specie, then the size difference would be due to its environment. If so, doesnt that mean that we can all get our Vagans to its biggest potential size with the right set up?
Most (but by no means all) animals that are closely related or of the same species exhibit decreasing size of the individuals with increasing latitude of the environment. This generally serves to decrease the body surface area to volume ratio, thereby minimalizing heat loss (since it gets colder when you are moving away from the equator). Removing the limiting factor and increasing the temperature of its surroundings may increase its growth rate and ultimate size, since I don't believe such a thing is genetically predetermined in this case, if it's all one species. Completely ignoring other ecological factors that may be present such as prey abundance, predation pressures, and terrain, this is what makes sense to me ;).

That said, I would still never consider Florida "cold" by any means :}

Last edited:

Julia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok, so is there any major difference between the Florida vagans and the South America vagans? Since a size difference has sort of been ruled out, are there noticeable color differences?

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Joe!

--Joe
very nice looking Brachypelma sabulosum you have there, congrats!

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Ollie!

Here's a couple of pictures of a wild B. vagans from Belize. She is much more than 5 inches. As you can see she is sitting on my knee.

I don't think that you can jump to the conclusion that the Florida specimens grow larger by comparing them to hobby specimens. I doubt very much if they grow any larger than other wild B. vagans left to their own resources.Ollie
The same neat B. sabulosum indeed!

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Mikhail,

I don't mind a correction, but I would like to know why you say they're sabulosum.

I'm not arguing, but genuinely curious. Also, do you have a pic of a true vagans to show for comparison?

--Joe