Proper Haplopelma identification

Ms.X

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have been attempting to do some research on the Haplopelma genus, and I'm not quite understanding the proper way to identify certain species. I have a female that was sold to me as an H. longipes, but I've read that longipes are supposed to have a leg IV that is longer and bulkier than leg I, and this doesn't seem to be the case with this particular specimen. I would appreciate some assistance in helping me to become more proficient in identifying particular Haplopelma sp. Here are some photographs (used with kind permission of Joe Stiles) of my female to aid in attempting I.D.

leg I

leg IV

more pictures of body/carapace

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Not H. longipes, most likely something in the minax group like H. sp. "Vietnam/vonwirthi". If it were longipes you would see the scopula going most of the way up the metatarsus of leg IV and a brushy tuft of long hairs on same.

Bill

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Agree with Bill 100%
Your spider is Haplopelma sp."Vietnam/Vonwirthi"
-Chris

Ms.X

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thank you for your assistance. I respect your identification skills, and appreciate the confirmation of my inquiry about leg IV. Is leg IV the only defining characterstic that separates longipes from sp. "Vietnam/Vonwirthi"?

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I jus picked up a new T from the local LPS where im from......it looks identical to yours.....was sold to me as Cryiopagapus paganus....but im sure it is Hap. sp for sure,........Thanx....sorry for the slight hi-jack.............i will post some pics for id soon

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
The relative leg lengths as you already stated, minax group are closer to being equal. I'm sure there are other things but these are what is obvious to see without magnification and a disassembled spider

Bill

Ms.X

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Excellent paper, thank you again :worship: