Poecilotheria striata (dark form?)

Phalagorn

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Poecilotheria striata (melanism - dark form?)

Poecilotheria striata (melanism - dark form?)

Last edited:

Andrew vV

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmmmm...Interesting. I take it you know for sure that it is not in premoult?? It would be cool to see some updates on this one and see if the colour remains as it grows.

MrBaronIsBack

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Do pokies show sexual dimorphism? If so, perhaps it's adult coloration starting to show through.

Mangrove

Arachnopeon
Originally posted by MrBaronIsBack
Do pokies show sexual dimorphism? If so, perhaps it's adult coloration starting to show through.
Yes, the males do show different coloration(darker/faded). however This individual appears to be too young to be showing male color yet. This is not the rumored "Shadow Pokie", reason being the Himalayans first described that Pokie. P.Striata is from Mysore, India, by far way too much of a distance to be it. Conclusion, This Pokie is either very dark pre-molt or you have a dark phase, wich would be very cool. Definatly post pics of it agian after it's next molt.

Matt.

Phalagorn

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Mangrove
Yes, the males do show different coloration(darker/faded). however This individual appears to be too young to be showing male color yet. This is not the rumored "Shadow Pokie", reason being the Himalayans first described that Pokie. P.Striata is from Mysore, India, by far way too much of a distance to be it. Conclusion, This Pokie is either very dark pre-molt or you have a dark phase, wich would be very cool. Definatly post pics of it agian after it's next molt.

Matt.
of all my P.striata spiderlings it´s only this one who is black! and the picture of mine P.striata (black form) it´s post-molt.
I´l hope that it will remains black.

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Mangrove
This is not the rumored "Shadow Pokie", reason being the Himalayans first described that Pokie.
Matt.
As far as I know no one have described the shadow poke or black poke or even seen it yet.

/Lelle

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wouldn't call it malanism since melanin isn't involved.

Phil

Mangrove

Arachnopeon
Crotalus..

Originally posted by Crotalus
As far as I know no one have described the shadow poke or black poke or even seen it yet.

/Lelle
Yes, you are quite right. It's technically not legally "described", in this I mean you won't find a description written anywhere. It's rumored that this was one of the first Poecilotheriae ever discribed. But it's only hear say, and hasn't been seen since then.
I also, just for the record, believe there are at least three or possably more undiscoved Pokies in India. As the have been no range studies done on them, and most of the pokies you buy come from southern india, or Sri Lanka. (With the exception of P. Miranda, and P. Metallica) With one particular natural forest as large as the whole of Sri-lanka(no pokie collected from this region). Right smack-dab between The southern forests of the typical Pokies, and that of Miranda's habitat. Sri-Lanka yealds like five or six species of Pokies. What are the chances of there being NO Pokies, in a forest that large. The habitat, compared to other Pokie habitats, is suitable.

Peace, Matt.

*edited for typo*

Last edited:

Mangrove

Arachnopeon
Martin H.

I've been conducting some of my own research on Pokies as well. I decided to post my findings on Spidertalk.net. The thread is called "Undiscovered Pokies", it's the result of quite a bit of time researching and studying Pocilotheria. Anyway have a look, it'll burn time if nothing else!!

Peace, Matt.