Having a crunchy lil toast next to my B.smithi, weird happening ?

ReMoVeR

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hello,

it's 4.22am and i cant sleep. I got up from my bed and went to grab a couple of those little and crunchy toasts wich make a LOT of noise when you are actually eating them.

My B.smithi is up an exoterra enclosure at chest level. I was standing near and curved my self having my mouth about 15cm around 6 inches(?) away from her enclosure at my Ts ground level. Here is where something REALLY weird happens: While i was eating the toast my T did a lil jump forward and then backed up real quick to her hole :O :eek: :clap: I was absolutly not moving any part of my body than my mouth and i am sure i was not breathing to the enclosure.

How the hell did that girl(i hope?) feel the vibrations from my chewy toasts?

Has anyone experienced anything like this? :?

cheers,

//Tiago

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't know about eating toast, but I've seen a video with a group of pokies reacting to the vibrations of someone crumpling paper

ReMoVeR

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
wow ! haha :p that is pretty cool!!! =)) can u find that video ??

I found that reaction pretty funny :p hehe oh boy... this hobby does surprise me every day ;D

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You would be surprised how sensitive they are! Just moving your mouth 6 inches from the enclosure probably disturbed the air flow that was going in.. so while you weren't breathing on her, you changed things!

Smitty78

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I can see this happening possibly. I feed my roach containers (6) 35 gallon rubbermaid containers twice a week with fresh oranges, vegetables, etc.. All of these containers are located on the ground, and are not in contact with any of my stainless steel racks. Needless to say the roaches create quite a commotion scattering about for the food. When this happens almost all of my T's come to life and start wandering about. My pokie rack definitely gets the most excited out of this, and it is 10 feet away from any of the roach bins.

ReMoVeR

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yes, it's quite interesting x) must be the type of sound vibrations that it causes right? It seems to be pretty especific don't you think? They dont react much on our voices for example when doing some enclosure routine or something like that ?!?

//Tiago

8by8

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This is why I love this hobby. We know very little about theses creatures, but there is also no shortage of things to learn either. The more we learn the more questions are asked. Was it vibrations in the air working like a breeze, or maybe more like sound waves? How sensitive are they? How do they do it? The list could go on and on.

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well sound is the air vibrating at various frequencies.

I'm sure their are ranges they can `sense` through the use of their hairs (not really hair) and other sensory organs but I've had similar experiences.

Not having the keenest eye-site the use of vibrations both audible and inaudible are their main sensor of detection; friend, foe or prey. They most likely ignore their own form of `white noise` in the vibrations that constantly bombard them such as our own sight and sound.

ReMoVeR

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Crampling paper , eating like i was is(???) very similar to bigger animals in the wild stepping on leafs ? ;o really weird thoughts right now xDD

//Tiago

NBREP

Arachnopeon
I don't know about eating toast, but I've seen a video with a group of pokies reacting to the vibrations of someone crumpling paper
Did you notice that the only ones with a reaction were mare F (female).And the only one marked male had no reaction at all.

mandipants

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm of the belief that T's can most definitely "hear" through the vibrations in the air. If I crinkle paper outside my rosie's cage he goes crazy trying to get to it, every time without fail.

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my Ts can feel when i walk 1 metre away.
im not too surprised.

ReMoVeR

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
when you are walkin it is obvious that they feel it... xD You're heavy and stuff.. this was really surprising though!! =)

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
when you are walkin it is obvious that they feel it... xD You're heavy and stuff.. this was really surprising though!! =)
im pretty light actually.
im 46kg,plus i dont really take heavy steps.
more like slides.
and the Ts are off the ground.

ReMoVeR

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
im pretty light actually.
im 46kg,plus i dont really take heavy steps.
more like slides.
and the Ts are off the ground.
i am just about 10kg heavier than you but i'm sure that the vibrations you make walking can be something bigger than some paper crampling ;o I just can imagine an example when we put ourself up the weighing-machine(not digital) you get the pointer goin up and down real fast till it settles on your weight :eek:

cheers

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wonder if they'd react to crinkling cooking foil? That I wouldn't be surprised if it had a reaction. I didn't even notice there was a male not reacting. Very curious..

I miss my camera again now because I want to experiment.. :wall::rolleyes:

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We have a P. cambridgei that dances to the didgeridoo........ or more specifically will follow the bell of it/ soundwaves around her enclosure. It's quite a sight to see.:D