S.A.D.S. I just want to set this straight.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've seen a lot of our newer members referring to "S.A.D.S." (Sudden Avic Death Syndrome) as though it were a legitimate syndrome or disease. It is not.

This term was first coined as a tongue-in-cheek reference to an Avicularia sling's fragility and increased likelihood to die if not taken proper care of, also referencing S.I.D.S. (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome). Some hobbyists were just having sort of a laugh about how fragile these guys are, not attempting to actually name any disease.

I think some newer guys have seen this term and run with it, posting threads talking about it and DKS as though they were both legitimate syndromes, resulting in some confusion. DKS, although not really identified as any specific infection, etc does at least refer to a specific set of symptoms. All "SADS" means is that your Avic sling is dead. It's not a real term.

So I say to you, gentle newb; when discussing the death of your new Avic sling understand that if you say "I think it was SADS" all your really saying is "I think it's dead."

Last edited:

Avicularia Man

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've seen a lot of our newer members referring to "S.A.D.S." (Sudden Avic Death Syndrome) as though it were a legitimate syndrome or disease. It is not.

This term was first coined as a tongue-in-cheek reference to an Avicularia sling's fragility and increased likelihood to die if not taken proper care of, also referencing S.I.D.S. (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome). Some hobbyists were just having sort of a laugh about how fragile these guys are, not attempting to actually name any disease.

I think some newer guys have seen this term and run with it, posting threads talking about it and DKS as though they were both legitimate syndromes, resulting in some confusion. DKS, although not really identified as any specific infection, etc does at least refer to a specific set of symptoms. All "SADS" means is that your Avic sling is dead. It's not a real term.

So I say to you, gentle noob; when discussing the death of your new Avic sling understand that if you say "I think it was SADS" all your really saying is "I think it's dead."
Might want to change "noob" to "newb" there is a difference. Newb meaning somebody new to something, like this hobby. Noob is an insult. A noob is a person not new to something, yet still hasn't learned anything and is hard headed to the point of refusing to learn. I am a newb, but I am no noob. After all, noob did come from gaming and those are the true meaning. So by calling us noob instead of newb, you are insulting us (don't worry, I know you didn't actually mean it that way).

Just throwing that out there. ;)

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
This is why I love this board.
Everyone is so pedantic--but we're all pedantic, and understand that so instead of getting offended it just works.

Mostly.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Very lovely summary!

I say this should be a sticky.. but I don't know how important the topic is.

Elaine

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

So I say to you, gentle newb; when discussing the death of your new Avic sling understand that if you say "I think it was SADS" all your really saying is "I think it's dead."
About bloody time lol. The same goes for people on UK forums. I've been trying to correct it for ages but seem to get nowhere.

I've higlighted the most important of your post :D