Has anyone else heard that Calci-Sand harms inverts?

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I did some research and couldn't find it anywhere. Just curious :confused:
I haven't heard that calci-sand harms them in particular, calcium does though.
I would imagine when it is wetted, that those water drops could contain a bit of it. I was going to echo his comments, then you posted this. I wouldn't use it. Go get sand from Lowes. Or, pet store sand that doesn't have calcium supplements at very least. :) good luck-r

rasputin

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Stick to eco earth or vermiculite, calcium harms inverts best to stay safe.
Jack,
He's working with desert species, hence where the question came from. Vermiculite is also not suggested.

Ox,
I'm digging up a study I've referenced on numerous occasions. I emailed it to somebody but I don't recall who so I'm having to shovel through a ton of reports to find it for you. I'll get it though. For the time being, I quote my post from the following thread: "vitamin supplement?"

rasputin

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Here's a little info from Absolute Astronomy that should also tide you over until I dig up that document:

Chitin

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Your best bets for substrates for desert species, imho, are as follows.
Sand from lowes, dried out first, mixed by eye with coco brick wetted. Compact medium and let dry out at least a bit. That's what I do for most of my desert species. I'm sure there is better quality sand. There's stuff at my lps for like $8 a pint or something. But I couldn't afford that for more than a few cages. Coco bricks are $3 at garden stores that I go to. Twice that at the pet stores here. Sand at lowes is about $10 I think for a huge bag. But maybe you only have a few and buy it at the pet store and that's cool, but if you have a bunch, or a limited budget, the sand from lowes has worked fine for me. You could take it a step further if you wanted to "clean it" and rinse it really good before you dry it. You could also get super intense and toss it in the air like wheat, the sand will fall and many impurities would float away with any wind. Just don't throw it in your eyes. Stay up wind from the flying sand! :)

Have fun!

OxDionysus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I replaced it all with play sand from lowes...It's no where near as pretty but oh well looks more natural