The Eight Enclosure creations from Talonawd

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have made so far eight (8) enclosure creations and they are posted all over. This thread is to include the eight I have made to date (2007-2009) I will show some pictures and a link to the enclosure creations found on the forum where there are much more detailed on how they were created step by step. This way you can access all of them in one place without searching all over.
I'm going to post each one in its own post to make it more organized.

In the begining I made the enclosures for each tarantula I planned to place there. For the first one I did not have my own thread. It started as a question and ended up being a creation.

#1 Green Bottle Blue ExoTerra.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=101657&page=3
(My creation on page 3 post #37 and page 4 post #48)

Close full View. Notice I added a small curved branch (Following the curves of my wall design) to make the wall higher to hide it more under other branch. (I'm referring to the hide I created on the left wall. This small curved brach goes all the way into the ground behind water dish to appear like it grew like that.

Top view.

Bridge view and hiding area behind Branch.

Cave view.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
#7 2.5gal series enclosure

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=169998

These are a new enclosure type I started to use. I used Aquarium style tanks. Smaller but filled with options.

I added plants as cover to make it have an enclosed secluded feeling to the areas of lounging.
Second floor platform

Second floor transition stairway. Looking downward (1st pic) than from bottom up (2nd pic)

Overview. Notice the empty space in front of the transition floor. This will be the area for the water dish.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
#8 2.5gal series enclosure

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=170920

Front view

Cave view

Ledge/loft view. kinda hard to see but similar to #7. Plants make a cover to make it feel safe. You can also see the grass suspended. Substrate will come over the grass up to this ledge/loft area. This is the transistion point.

Top view

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
These are tight. I love the cave access between levels. You make fake plants look less...fake. :worship:

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Awesome job on all these enclosures.. Awesome... Yea thats all I can say.. :D

Struckanerve

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Dsm owners dont know how to make enclosures!! lol ;) nah just playing they all look really good. Your T's will be very happy.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Now it's all in one place. Just bought some corkbark, gonna start making hides and then gonna make a small 2.5 gallon enclosure, a la Talonawd.

So I'll be posting either some pictures of mediocre-good enclosures, or a silicone covered, foamed up Hobo mess sometime in the near future!

StephanieH

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Those are FANTASTIC!!! I really need to try to do this, but I think I may make a foam mess as well.:clap:

Arachnoholic420

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Remarkable... that's a very neat way to use insulation...... very beautiful enclosure's.... but i got a question?? what type of foam and what type of silicone do u use?.... the reason i ask is... how are they in long term use? cuz it is a none natural product??.... they are made from chemical's.... can they harm or cause anyside effects on your t's? i know a having a nice home would be ideal... but would not want to sacrifice a t's health just for look's...

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thank you all for your kind words. I will be making more to add to my collection of designs. I have a dream enclosure that is in the works for a biig 18" cube Exoterra. I have the enclosure and design planned, now I just need the time.

Remarkable... that's a very neat way to use insulation...... very beautiful enclosure's.... but i got a question?? what type of foam and what type of silicone do u use?.... the reason i ask is... how are they in long term use? cuz it is a none natural product??.... they are made from chemical's.... can they harm or cause anyside effects on your t's? i know a having a nice home would be ideal... but would not want to sacrifice a t's health just for look's...
For your question, I use Great stuff foam insulation. If you go to Enclosure 7's link, there is a picture of the materials I use. The foam only deteriates when in direct sunlight. In all my enclosures I wait till the foam is dry. When dry its totally harmless and does not emit a smell. I then cover the foam completely with silicone. This seals the foam in and keeps it away from any light. Than on top of that, I throw the substrate on top of the wet silicone and let dry. When the silicone dries it also becomes totally harmless. I wait up to a month before moving my T's in just to be sure all traces of chemicals are gone. My very first enclosure was made back in 2007. Still looks like the day I made it except that my GBB webbed it all up and the moss is brown instead of green. My GBB, "Destiny", grew up in that enclosure. She was only 3" when I placed her there and now she is all grown up and I even mated her in that enclosure.
There is no sacrifice to any of my T's health. The only sacrifice was taking the time to make it and that was well worth it. Its now more a hobby for me to make these enclosures for my T's. To me it adds to the hobby of tarantula husbandry and its very fun to make.

Arachnoholic420

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
There is no sacrifice to any of my T's health. The only sacrifice was taking the time to make it and that was well worth it. Its now more a hobby for me to make these enclosures for my T's. To me it adds to the hobby of tarantula husbandry and its very fun to make.
Well then those enclosure's are perfect!!!! if ther's no harm to the T. I totally agree i does come hand in hand to the hobby.... thanks for entertaining my post.... i've learned alot and hopefully one day ill try it out...

What is a T without a beuatiful enclosure.....
What is an enclosure without a beautiful T..... :p

Kirsten

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Those are truly amazing!. You are very talented and creative. I'm just happy I can chew gum and tie my shoes at the same time...well almost-jk!