Intensive Care Unit (ICU)

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
One and All -

Because of the number of queries on this and other forums and message boards about the construction and use of an Intensive Care Unit (ICU) over the last little while, I have intended for a long time to post a webpage on them. Well, I finally got around to it. Please visit http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/icu10.html to read it. As always, constructive criticisms are always welcome.

Xian

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, this isn't very constructive, and isn't criticism either, but that is a must read for all who do not know about ICU's, and even those that do.

"BE FOREWARNED! You may be happily surprised at its recovery, but devastated as it leaps to its death on the floor! "

Funny AND True!{D

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
i liked: "Don't obsess over the small stuff." so true :clap:

very good stuff.

about the heat- what temp would you say is good? i've always aimed for a little warmer, like 80 or so (this is about 10 higher than my house). i would think the warmer temps would be better, but i understand you don't want to fry the thing either. so bottom line, do you think it would be better to keep it even more warm than just something like the top of the fridge?

also, one last thing- do you recommend keeping it in a dark place (unless i just missed that part)? what about a burrower or something that can possibly get stressed by the constant light? i would think it might get a little edgy being out in the open daylight with a clear ICU. what are your thoughts?

PrimalTaunt

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I love the "How To Use It" section because there are many tutorials on how to make one but they seldom go beyond, "Put a sick tarantula in this to help it get better," (or something along those lines) in describing how to get the most out of it.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
... about the heat- what temp would you say is good? ...
Probably not terribly important because tarantulas (as most cold blooded animals) are capable of thriving in such a wide range of temperatures. In fact, this part may not be important at all.

Why might we keep a sick tarantula in its ICU a little warmer? Maybe because they heal at a faster rate as their temperature rises.

... i've always aimed for a little warmer, like 80 or so (this is about 10 higher than my house). i would think the warmer temps would be better, but i understand you don't want to fry the thing either. so bottom line, do you think it would be better to keep it even more warm than just something like the top of the fridge? ...
I can't imagine how it might be "better" because I don't know what "better" might be, but if you wish, go for it. As long as you didn't cook it, it would probably be okay.

... do you recommend keeping it in a dark place ...
Keeping it in subdued light certainly wouldn't hurt, but practice has shown that it really isn't necessary. Again, if it makes YOU feel better, go for it! Tarantulas in captivity have already learned to adjust to a whole bunch of unfamiliar things; I don't think this detail would bother them a lot.

By the time matters have progressed to the point where the tarantula is in an ICU the animal is probably much more concerned with trying to come back to life than it is with worrying about whether the temperature is "just right," or the lighting is subdued enough.

"Don't obsess over the small stuff."