Can Babycurus jacksoni climb glass? Because mine is flippin' gone.

x Mr Awesome x

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No joke. Went to check on him. Haven't seen him in a couple of days and he's AWOL. Is this even possible? There was 6" of glass to the top with a screen lid! Oh, and I can't find him. Awesome.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
How big was the B. jacksoni? Sounds like fun. Good luck.
Oh, and no, they can't climb glass.

x Mr Awesome x

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
He was about 3". I dumped the sub out trying to find him and nothing. He was in a 2.5g containor with nothing touching the glass. I kept a heavy flashlight on the lid. I don't get it.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
He was about 3". I dumped the sub out trying to find him and nothing. He was in a 2.5g containor with nothing touching the glass. I kept a heavy flashlight on the lid. I don't get it.
I'm as flummoxed as you. They can't teleport.

Regali$

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i've had the same thing happen with my vittatus.

i was told that prolonged use of non-distilled water for mistings would form a microscopic mineral buildup on the glass that they can hook their little feet(not sure of correct anatomic term) into.

i know b jacksoni would be significantly heavier so i dont know if this applies...

but at least its an idea.

x Mr Awesome x

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I used drinking water only. I only had him for a week. I used coconut fiber over jungle mix and had the sub moist. I can only guess he was dead in the sub somewhere. I sifted and couldn't find him though.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i've had the same thing happen with my vittatus.

i was told that prolonged use of non-distilled water for mistings would form a microscopic mineral buildup on the glass that they can hook their little feet(not sure of correct anatomic term) into.

i know b jacksoni would be significantly heavier so i dont know if this applies...

but at least its an idea.
Yeah, dirty glass maybe. But, it still wouldn't explain it getting the lid off either. Well, of course, we'd have to know flex etc....but, you get where I'm going. I don't think they would get a good enough hold vertically on mineral deposits on glass to push up on a heavy lid and get it open. Maybe. Of course I would have to see it, but I would think most people would be able to tell if the weight was enough. I need coffee. Then maybe I will have a bulb light up.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I used drinking water only. I only had him for a week. I used coconut fiber over jungle mix and had the sub moist. I can only guess he was dead in the sub somewhere. I sifted and couldn't find him though.
Sounds like you need to search again. Maybe in larger container lined with white paper?

Oh, you did mean 3" with metasoma (tail) Because if you mean without it, it could prop itself up on it and get out maybe at 6" high.... just an idea though

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've heard of scorps climbing up on the silicone in the corners of tanks. I think that is more likely than anything else.

Sarcastro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
it's usually smaller instars that climb the corners because they can get both sets sets of tarsals into the silicon but a wide heavier specimen can't really climb that well let alone lift a lid.

NMWAPBT

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sounds like you need to search again. Maybe in larger container lined with white paper?

Oh, you did mean 3" with metasoma (tail) Because if you mean without it, it could prop itself up on it and get out maybe at 6" high.... just an idea though
agreed if there was no holes he could fit through and no way even if he could climb up get out id c if he isnt in the bark or other decor you had post a pic of your setup man

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If your corners are a little rough like was mentioned, I don't know, maybe it could've made it up. No scorp parts?, pretty weird.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
pretty weird.
GHOSTBUSTERS

If there's something strange
in your neighborhood
Who ya gonna call?
GHOSTBUSTERS

If there's something weird
and it don't look good
Who ya gonna call?
GHOSTBUSTERS

I ain't afraid of no ghosts
I ain't afraid of no ghosts

hehe

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You'd be surprised at how good they are at escaping. I had an adult Heterometrus that escaped the 10 gallon tank that it was in. I think it climbed up the cable for the thermometer probe that was hanging down from the top :wall: I never expected it to escape that tank :?

Edit: Yes the tank had a top.

Last edited:

x Mr Awesome x

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well... The story just got a happy ending. Unbelievably, the B. jacksoni can apparently lift a metal lid and shimmy his way under it. I still have no idea how in the hell he managed to get to the top in order to even do that. I tore my house apart for the better part of 10 hours and finally found him. Here's the pic:

I don't know how long he has been in there but could have been as much as a couple of days. He is unharmed and in good shape. The vent was almost completely covered by a pillar that serves as the base of my tarantula display shelf. I could only see a small partial of inside the vent, which was closed, and had to take all sixteen T terrariums down in order to get to the vent. And there he was! I'm relieved. It made me realize how very attached to this little guy I already am! Now I need to name him. Houdini is a little played out so I may go with Chris (Angel) or David (Blane).

-ben

Sarcastro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
WOW! glad you recovered it.that little one did some amazing feats of strength...climbed a glass wall,lifted a a metal lid that's probably ways 50 times its weight,climbed down and escaped into a vent ....still amazed.

asher8282

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
pics

i still wanna see pics of the setup...
please..
and thanks..
glad you found it!

NMWAPBT

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
awsomeeee that is so kool yeat a lil wierd but awsome u got lucky that vent was close man :clap: