Holothele sp. "Peru" or Rondoni

DDaake

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've got a few of these I'm going to try breeding. Not sure what they are. They're out of peru. I have one young female holding a small sac. I'm wondering if anyone has any input on the ID or any information on any communal behavior.

Here's some pics:

Female

Male

Any information you can throw at me is greatly appreciated.

Dustin

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'd just call them Holothele sp. "Peru" for now unless someone can provide the reason for them being Holothele rondoni. I lack this description paper, though I do believe I have some other papers referencing this species... I'll look around.

I'm wondering if anyone has any input on the ID or any information on any communal behavior.
All of these "true" Holothele in the hobby show minimal communal behavior IMO... but are somewhat tolerant. They can coexist in the right setups, but they do NOT act like H. incei... which is a very different spider that will eventually represent a different genus altogether.

Eric

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It appears that what was previously sold as Holothele rondoni might actually be Maraca cabocla.
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=172653

Nope not the same from what i see as the Maraca cabocla. The cabocla has spikes (looking) hairs on legs 3 and 4. And the Maraca cabocla has all black hairs on the legs. The OP T has creamish colored hairs on top of its black legs.
In both these pics they lack the adbomen hairs. The are supposed to be all black. Heres one complete.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showpost.php?p=1578932&postcount=4

Last edited:

DDaake

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'd just call them Holothele sp. "Peru" for now unless someone can provide the reason for them being Holothele rondoni. I lack this description paper, though I do believe I have some other papers referencing this species... I'll look around.

All of these "true" Holothele in the hobby show minimal communal behavior IMO... but are somewhat tolerant. They can coexist in the right setups, but they do NOT act like H. incei... which is a very different spider that will eventually represent a different genus altogether.

Eric
Thanks Eric

Thats what I needed to know.

Definately not the same as TalonAWD's species.

Dustin

sjl197

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well as the type site for rondoni is about 600Km away from far north peru,
then i have my doubts already.

Type site, Lucas & Bucherl, 1972)
iauarete, amazonas, brazil.

But, i also saw guyana imports sold as H.rondoni... you know, about 2000 km away. So, beware, two species traded under the name, possibly neither rondoni !

Anyone who wants the description paper, send me a message, ie eric. I have it as pdf, obviamente em portugues !

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So the thread is calling them "Peru" and rondoni, but your pic is labeled "Rio Napo"?

I have one I bought as a Holothele sp. "Rio Napo" - are you saying this is the same species as sp. "Peru"?