New to the site.... question about my rose hair

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What's up guys, I'm new to the site, and I've done a lot of reading about rose hairs but mine is so random with how it acts, and i'm sure ill probably get the response "oh that's just a typical rose hair" but i'm just double checking. I bought it about a month ago and it wont eat, it won't lay web, it used to climb and now it doesn't, and i've watched it try a couple times and it slides like it can't "stick" anymore. It stays in one spot until I hold it, after I hold it, it moves around a lot, and sits at the corners acting like it wants out. I was hoping it would molt soon as it is missing a leg. Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
oh that's just a typical rose hair....

J/K:p. Really Rosehairs are wierd. My RCF Rosehair just sits around all day but it does move alittle than just mopes. They go on wierd fasts for no reason at all and other times they will eat like crazy. They are really moody tarantulas. If they are just sitting, they are content. As long as the substrate/environment is bone dry and theres a water dish than it will be fine. If its abdomen is shriveled and it won't eat, than that would be cause to worry about it.

My RCF Rosie has not eaten in a month and many years ago, I had one that went 6+ months without eating.

Post a picture.

PrimalTaunt

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What's up guys, I'm new to the site, and I've done a lot of reading about rose hairs but mine is so random with how it acts, and i'm sure ill probably get the response "oh that's just a typical rose hair" but i'm just double checking. I bought it about a month ago and it wont eat, it won't lay web, it used to climb and now it doesn't, and i've watched it try a couple times and it slides like it can't "stick" anymore. It stays in one spot until I hold it, after I hold it, it moves around a lot, and sits at the corners acting like it wants out. I was hoping it would molt soon as it is missing a leg. Anyway, any help would be appreciated.
G. roseas are notorious for fasting but are not notorious for their webbing like P. murinus and others so the lack of it should not surprise you.

Tarantulas will often be on the walls of enclosures when it either doesn't like the substrate or is unfamiliar with the enclosure.

A tarantula that stays in one spot is a happy tarantula. It's probably moving around after you handled it because you invaded what it had felt was its home and no longer feels as secure as it was right before you handled it.

Xian

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Talon and Primal are both telling you exactly what's up with you T. Nothing to worry about what-so-ever!:)

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What's up guys, I'm new to the site, and I've done a lot of reading about rose hairs
Then lets call it by its real name, G. rosea.:)

but mine is so random with how it acts, and i'm sure ill probably get the response "oh that's just a typical rose hair" but i'm just double checking.
It is possible.

I bought it about a month ago and it wont eat, it won't lay web,
It sounds like it isn't settled in yet, or fasting. Both are normal.

it used to climb and now it doesn't, and i've watched it try a couple times and it slides like it can't "stick" anymore.
G. rosea should not be climbing, they are a terrestrial species. It can't stick because it is ill equipped for climbing. If was climbing, my guess is your substrate was too moist.

It stays in one spot until I hold it, after I hold it, it moves around a lot, and sits at the corners acting like it wants out.
My honest opinion on this statement is that your tarantulas is showing you that 'holding' it stresses it out and maybe you should let it settle in before you start 'holding' it. It is not sitting in a corner because it wants out. Does it have a hide? Pictures of its enclosure would be helpful.

I was hoping it would molt soon as it is missing a leg. Anyway, any help would be appreciated.
No one will be able to tell you when it will molt, because it doesn't work like that. Pictures of the T would help us see whether it looks pre-molt, but just because it looks pre-molt doesn't mean it is going to molt soon.

I would suggest you spend some time reading the stickies at the top of this sub-forum. There is one specifically for G. rosea owners and a great one that is linked to in my signature. My guess is that your research could use a turbo boost.;) Welcome to the forum, the hobby and the addiction!:D

splangy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How much substrate do you have in there? When I first got my rosea, there were only about 2 inches of substrate (I hadn't had a chance to go buy a bunch of soil yet, it was a temporary situation...) and she hated it.. she was constantly climbing the walls. Once I got more soil in there (like several more inches), she was right at home and started burrowing immediately. the only time since then that she's tried to climb the walls is when I cleaned out and rearranged her enclosure. (she's now adjusted)

Make sure you don't have much wall for her to climb up! You dont' want her to fall and hurt herself.

I take the climbing to mean she's not happy or she feels foreign. She's trying to get away.

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How much substrate do you have in there? When I first got my rosea, there were only about 2 inches of substrate (I hadn't had a chance to go buy a bunch of soil yet, it was a temporary situation...) and she hated it.. she was constantly climbing the walls. Once I got more soil in there (like several more inches), she was right at home and started burrowing immediately. the only time since then that she's tried to climb the walls is when I cleaned out and rearranged her enclosure. (she's now adjusted)

Make sure you don't have much wall for her to climb up! You dont' want her to fall and hurt herself.

I take the climbing to mean she's not happy or she feels foreign. She's trying to get away.
i have to agree with splangy here. my rosea was climbing the walls of his 5.5 when i first set it up, so a week later i added enough eco earth to get it about 4" deep, and he settled down fine after that, no problems since. he's a regular rock now that he's figured out his burrow.

cobaltbrew

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
G. roseas are notorious for fasting but are not notorious for their webbing like P. murinus and others so the lack of it should not surprise you.

Tarantulas will often be on the walls of enclosures when it either doesn't like the substrate or is unfamiliar with the enclosure.

A tarantula that stays in one spot is a happy tarantula. It's probably moving around after you handled it because you invaded what it had felt was its home and no longer feels as secure as it was right before you handled it.
I disagree a little. I think that is a part of why tarantulas climb the walls of an enclosure but my H. Lividum still climbs the walls of its container about once a week in the dead of night when it goes on a few hour stroll before dawn. Then it goes back into its burrow and webs up the entire front. Sounds like a settled in T to me.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
... G. rosea should not be climbing, they are a terrestrial species. ...
Forgive me, but this is incorrect. First, there is some confusion in the hobby about the exact meaning of terrestrial. Many (yours truly included) use the term, where theraphosid tarantulas are concerned, to mean living in association with the ground or soil, at ground level, or in burrows below ground. As opposed to arboreal species that generally live above ground in trees or structures not normally made of or associated with soil.

There is another, related word used in zoology, fossorial, to describe an animal that lives in a burrow (usually, as opposed to one that merely uses a burrow or den as a temporary retreat, like a badger or a bear), or used to describe some anatomical part (e.g., modified limb, like the front paws of a mole) or behavioral pattern (e.g., living more or less permanently underground, like a mole rat - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naked_mole_rat ). However, this term (like "terrestrial") is used to describe a wide assortment of different animals, anatomical parts and behavioral patterns, and it's exact meaning is rather nebulous.

Some use "terrestrial" to signify a very special, vagabond's lifestyle wherein the tarantula seldom, if ever, actually digs or prepares a burrow, or occupies a retreat for very long, but takes advantage of incidental cover as temporary bivouacs, moving on when conditions require. As far as I know, very few or no theraphosid tarantulas actually employ this lifestyle except for the mature males.

G.rosea is a burrowing/fossorial species:

"In 2002 Dr. G. B. Edwards (Curator: Arachnida & Myriapoda Florida State Collection of Arthropods, FDACS, Division of Plant Industry) visited Santiago, Chile and reported seeing large numbers of them living in burrows just a few kilometers outside of the city (personal communication)." [TKG3, pg 338.]

Now, only a moment's thought will reveal that a tarantula that spends almost its entire life in a burrow with vertical walls does almost nothing but climb. To all or almost all tarantulas, a flat, horizontal surface is a distinctly foreign environment, almost alien. And, hanging from the cage walls probably shouldn't be considered abnormal or pathological. Newly imported, wild tarantulas must learn that the flat, horizontal cage floor is as acceptable as the burrow walls its accustomed to in nature, and until they do come to terms with cage life, or if something about the cage or substrate is too offensive to them, they try to hang from the walls as a matter of course.

... It can't stick because it is ill equipped for climbing. ...
After you've read the paragraphs above you can understand that this is not true. In fact, most rosea can climb glass with relative ease, hence our frequent warnings to keep them in rather low containers lest they fall and injure themselves.

I might hazard the guess that the conditions under which the tarantula was shipped were so appalling that its scopular pads were damaged (or rotted!) to the point where they no longer can gain a purchase on the smooth glass. But, since we're only beginning to understand how this glass climbing thing really works, I can't offer a more specific explanation. Based on similar instances in the past, after the tarantula molts, thus shedding the old damaged bristles including those of the scopulae, it will be able to climb - and fall to its death - as well as any other tarantula. (Please forgive my attempt at grim humor there. It's really intended as a warning.)

... No one will be able to tell you when it will molt, ...
The rosea in question is apparently a new import. And, in Chile their molting season is during the Northern Hemisphere's fall. Assuming that it's a typical rosea, it won't be molting again until next September or later. Maybe MUCH later! They've been known to wait as long as three years for that first molt and subsequent dinner.

For Chris_Skeleton - I suggest your read the following two webpages before proceeding:

http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/stansrant.html

http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/roses.html

Regarding the missing leg: Complete regeneration of missing limbs requires at least two, often three molts. After the first molt, a miniature copy of the leg will by evident, but one or more molts are required for it to grow to full size.

Because rosea have such a tough time readjusting to the Northern Hemisphere timetable, yours may not molt for a year or more. Thus, figure one to three years to begin molting, then another two years for the leg to completely regenerate, and you will realize that you may have "Stumpy" for four or five years before it looks "normal" again. Don't lose faith. Keeping tarantulas requires a lot of patience, but it's well worth it in the end.

Lastly, Chris, has anyone told you of the tarantula keeper's lament?

"LIKE THOSE POTATO CHIPS, YOU CAN'T HAVE JUST ONE!"

You've been warned!

PrimalTaunt

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I disagree a little. I think that is a part of why tarantulas climb the walls of an enclosure but my H. Lividum still climbs the walls of its container about once a week in the dead of night when it goes on a few hour stroll before dawn. Then it goes back into its burrow and webs up the entire front. Sounds like a settled in T to me.
I never said that there weren't other reasons. However given this bit of information

I bought it about a month ago and it wont eat, it won't lay web, it used to climb and now it doesn't.
Those two just seemed like the most probable in the OP's instance which is why I only listed them. I could have also included wanderlust or because it's in a relatively cold room and there's a heat source directly across from the tank that it's trying to soak up.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Forgive me, but this is incorrect. First, there is some confusion in the hobby about the exact meaning of terrestrial. Many (yours truly included) use the term, where theraphosid tarantulas are concerned, to mean living in association with the ground or soil, at ground level, or in burrows below ground. As opposed to arboreal species that generally live above ground in trees or structures not normally made of or associated with soil.
True, but I was trying to provide a simplified answer to someone who appeared new to the hobby. Perhaps I shouldn't have.

There is another, related word used in zoology, fossorial, to describe an animal that lives in a burrow (usually, as opposed to one that merely uses a burrow or den as a temporary retreat, like a badger or a bear), or used to describe some anatomical part (e.g., modified limb, like the front paws of a mole) or behavioral pattern (e.g., living more or less permanently underground, like a mole rat - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naked_mole_rat ). However, this term (like "terrestrial") is used to describe a wide assortment of different animals, anatomical parts and behavioral patterns, and it's exact meaning is rather nebulous.
I did not use that term, because it isn't widely used on this forum. I would have known what I meant and probably a few others would, but once again I was trying to simplify.:)

Some use "terrestrial" to signify a very special, vagabond's lifestyle wherein the tarantula seldom, if ever, actually digs or prepares a burrow, or occupies a retreat for very long, but takes advantage of incidental cover as temporary bivouacs, moving on when conditions require. As far as I know, very few or no theraphosid tarantulas actually employ this lifestyle except for the mature males.
I do not understand the need to break tarantulas down to more than 2 types, arboreal and not arboreal/ fossorial. Here is a post where I outline my opinions on it.(not simplified) However, like Bill S says, the categories are for humans, tarantulas don't care.

G.rosea is a burrowing/fossorial species:
Don't I know it!:D Our G. rosea is living the high life in a 2 story condo currently. We recently turned the tank around so we could see the entire burrow. It is super cute to see her reach down on her tippy toes to get to the bottom level of her burrow.

I will now use the term fossorial and link to your post as an explanation. I agree that it is a more correct term and would honestly prefer to use it, but I don't to keep it simple. Once again, perhaps I shouldn't.

"In 2002 Dr. G. B. Edwards (Curator: Arachnida & Myriapoda Florida State Collection of Arthropods, FDACS, Division of Plant Industry) visited Santiago, Chile and reported seeing large numbers of them living in burrows just a few kilometers outside of the city (personal communication)." [TKG3, pg 338.]
Yes, i have read that, own your book and refer to it often.:)

Now, only a moment's thought will reveal that a tarantula that spends almost its entire life in a burrow with vertical walls does almost nothing but climb. To all or almost all tarantulas, a flat, horizontal surface is a distinctly foreign environment, almost alien. And, hanging from the cage walls probably shouldn't be considered abnormal or pathological. Newly imported, wild tarantulas must learn that the flat, horizontal cage floor is as acceptable as the burrow walls its accustomed to in nature, and until they do come to terms with cage life, or if something about the cage or substrate is too offensive to them, they try to hang from the walls as a matter of course.
We will always provide enough substrate to burrow in for all of our non-arboreals, because in our experience they will use it and make their own burrow.

After you've read the paragraphs above you can understand that this is not true. In fact, most rosea can climb glass with relative ease, hence our frequent warnings to keep them in rather low containers lest they fall and injure themselves.
I was speaking of our experience with our 1 G. rosea. She couldn't climb the glass well at all, but trees are another story......;)

I might hazard the guess that the conditions under which the tarantula was shipped were so appalling that its scopular pads were damaged (or rotted!) to the point where they no longer can gain a purchase on the smooth glass. But, since we're only beginning to understand how this glass climbing thing really works, I can't offer a more specific explanation. Based on similar instances in the past, after the tarantula molts, thus shedding the old damaged bristles including those of the scopulae, it will be able to climb - and fall to its death - as well as any other tarantula. (Please forgive my attempt at grim humor there. It's really intended as a warning.)
By the time our G. rosea molted, it had a well established burrow. So, I have not seen it try to climb glass after the molt to observe that there was a difference. Thank you for that information.:)

For Chris_Skeleton - I suggest your read the following two webpages before proceeding:

http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/stansrant.html

http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/roses.html
I re-quoted the above for reiteration on their usefulness/ information.

Lastly, Chris, has anyone told you of the tarantula keeper's lament?

"LIKE THOSE POTATO CHIPS, YOU CAN'T HAVE JUST ONE!"

You've been warned!
Truer words have never been said!:D There was a time in my life that I would have been repulsed by the thought of having a tarantula as a pet. Now, I know I will always have some/ many.:)

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
True, but I was trying to provide a simplified answer to someone who appeared new to the hobby. Perhaps I shouldn't have. ...
After I read this and the rest of your response I realized that I came across a bit too strongly. I really didn't mean it to be a criticism, but that's the way it sounds. I'm sorry I sounded so rough. Sometimes the medium we're using doesn't transmit the smile or a twinkle in one's eye.