Rearing container hammock style (Manual Incubator)

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Here's a bit of info that just may come in handy for rearing eggs with legs through to 2nd instar.All following pictures and info is from LaRiz (John) who gave me permission to post.Thanks LaRiz.

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Drawing of the incubator:

Last edited by a moderator:

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Very easy to make.Get a 1 lb deli container.First drill a few vent holes just above where the substrate will be.Venting here is better.It will prevent nasties from getting at your spiders in the hammock.Next..add some very moist substrate to just below the vent holes.Next lay a paper towel over the delicup.Get another delicup and insert into the first delicup until the hammock has formed.Don't touch the substrate with the paper towel.Now tape the paper towel down around the outside of the delicup.Scotch tape works fine.Once taped secure remove the inset delicup which should leave you with a nice firm paper towel hammock.Take the eggsack...open very carefully and slowly and gently spill the eggs with legs into the cup/hammock.Remove any molds fungus or dead eggs.Snap on a tight fitting lid and your all set.Put into a warm(not too warm) location.You can also sheild it from any bright light.From there you can "gently" roll the eggs with legs around a couple times a day.You can also periodically moisten just the inside lip of the paper towel being careful not to wet the spiders.You can check daily and easily see and remove any nasties or dead spiders.An easy and proven method.Again credit and thanks to LaRiz for the pics,idea and instructions...peace

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I've had GREAT sucess with this method for all but one of my eggsacs.
I do a bit of a variation, in that I use pantyhose as a second layer, in case for some reason the paper toweling fails. I don't let either one touch the substrate and become wet.
I usually keep the cup on top of my computer case, where it's nice and warm, but not too warm.
It worked perfectly in all cases except for my C fasciatum eggs, which I believe were never fertilized, and they dried up.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I use it below the paper towel. I noticed after I tried it alone the first time, the little 1st instar slings had a hard time maneuvering in it!

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I used gauze (the medical type they use in bandages) with my g. roseas, was afraid the paper towel would give way if it got too moist.

JBoyer

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I too used this method. But instead of paper towel I used a piece of soft cotton T shirt. Worked great!

Jennifer

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
hmm i was wondering could you put the cup in a airing cuboard would it be warm enough for them there?

Hallidaykill55

Arachnopeon
more specific

When you say not too warm what exactly do you mean. I'm talking temperarure range. I keep all of my T's in one of those plastic utility cupboards, like the kind you get in the hardware dept of wall mart. And I keep it between 74.2 and 78.8 F. would this be too warm? Let me no as I'm am kind of new to the hobby.

RazorRipley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
its cool that this got posted... I just got done building one exactly the same way a few mins ago. Micheal Jacobi taught me this trick last night. Wish me luck, Ive been keeping Ts for a year and a half, and right now Im juggling my first produced eggsacs.

arline

Arachnopeon
Any preference on the substrate? Getting close to my first breeding and want max success.

Lochala

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How can you tell if the eggs are dead or infertile? (please dont laugh,I'm really dumb.) :rolleyes: ;P

Steelweb

Arachnopeon
works great

after my female gram. rose decided to eat more then half her egg sack, i was forced to put the little guys in the panty sack (using nylons). all fifty are doing awesome a month in now. i'm a first time dad and it's pretty exciting. just waiting for the next molt before i seperate them.

p.s the tarantula keepers guide book by schultz saved the spl's lives (awesome book)

Attachments

snipe4fun

Arachnopeon
What about light? does it matter if the incubator is in a dark location? I know they aren't photosynthetic, but photosensitive perhaps?

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Anybody ever use a coffee filter as a hammock? I've started doing this recently, they offer all the advantages of paper towels but they don't tear as easily, and they don't have the foot entanglement hazzards of fabric/mesh hammocks.

Wade

iluvspydrz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wade said:
Anybody ever use a coffee filter as a hammock? I've started doing this recently, they offer all the advantages of paper towels but they don't tear as easily, and they don't have the foot entanglement hazzards of fabric/mesh hammocks.

Wade
how has the coffee filter been working for you i'm a first time breeder, should i use that?

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, I've only tried it twice, once it worked fine and the other time the spiderlings died, but I think the problem was pre-existing with this batch and had nothing to do with the filter.

Since it seems to be a new idea, you might want to use a more tradiotional material.

Wade