Did you see that !!!!!!!

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Alright this was very scary, and after the fact quite funny. I have two A metallicas, about 1/4" in size, I got as a gift housed in 50 dram vials with about a 1/4" of coco fiber/pete substrate and a pair of small silk ivy leaves. Yesterday morning when I was checking on all the little guys and gals, doing the feeding/watering thing, and just general maintenance I got to see the speed of the Avics first hand.
So, I decided to put a small cricket into each of the Avics vials.

I use a plastic tub measuring about 10"h x 16"L x 10"w and place the T's enclosure inside of it. This serves as a secondary containment area in case a T decides to leave home when I am working in their enclosure. This method has worked great for my G pulchras. However, the Avics didn't even notice it was there.

So, I put the first vial into the tub. I rounded up the first cricket, checked the vial and confirmed the little Avic was sitting at the bottom. I slowly opened the lid and prepared to drop the cricket into the vial. The Avic burst out of the vial, which was in my hand down inside the tub, and landed about 2" above my wrist. I dropped the cricket and tried put my other hand in a position to corral the little arachnid cannonball. It then made another Olympic leap from hand to the surface of the cart I was working on; this cart is about four feet high; the reason for the secondary containment tub. As I reached for it again, this determined little acrobat once again shot out into the air, right off the cart.
I was dumbfounded. "Oh no! I just killed an innocent tarantula!" I thought as this amazing little creature appeared to glide down to the floor. I quickly dropped to the floor and scooped the tiny one into my hand very quickly ushered it back into its vial. Fortunately it suffered no harm, can't say the same for me; my heart had stopped beating the moment that bugger leaped off the cart..

This entire event, from the time I opened the vial to the time I put little Evel Knievel back into its vial took less than 10 Seconds. I knew this things were fast. I read the posts, the general care info, and even watched numerous videos, but I was not prepared for what that thing was able to do. :8o

OMG!!! These little A. metallicas are fast!!!!!

Consequently, I will be devising a new method for working with the little Avic's enclosures.

Anyone interested in A. metallica? They are not something I am ready to deal with yet. I have two 1/4" slings:8o

P.S.
Before you go on a tangent. I did not actively seek them out. They were a gift.

Last edited:

mOtOjUnKiE

Arachnopeon
That's the best story I've heard in quite some time!!!

At least nobody got hurt during the whole fiasco :)

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't think you did anything wrong. I wouldn't get rid of them either... As long as you enjoy them. You will become comfortable with them in no time at all. Avics are good spiders to have darting around on you to start with. It could have been much worse.

When I feed my avics, or other speedy spiders, I never take the lid completely off. I just tip it back with one finger while feeding with the other hand. This works especially well with my little huntsman spiders. I can close the lid quickly if needed.

You will be fine... Good luck.

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Well, thank you for the vote of confidence, and the suggestion. I will try it next time I feed.

I don't think you did anything wrong. I wouldn't get rid of them either... As long as you enjoy them. You will become comfortable with them in no time at all. Avics are good spiders to have darting around on you to start with. It could have been much worse.

When I feed my avics, or other speedy spiders, I never take the lid completely off. I just tip it back with one finger while feeding with the other hand. This works especially well with my little huntsman spiders. I can close the lid quickly if needed.

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

This has become a very common practice with some of ours. Not our Avics though...but our Cyriocosmus - those things are way faster than I expected. We underestimated their speed greatly the first time one decided to bolt.

I agree that you should keep them, as they get larger they'll build a tube web that they'll rarely leave. When our A. versicolor was a sling she'd run out all of the time, but now she's about 1.5" and she's made a tube web that I've never ever seen her leave since we rehoused her into her current enclosure.

Cass

Dom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I think you'll find they calm down quite a bit once theyve settled in, often just a few days.
Keep them!!:)

JDeRosa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I got some A. Metallica's as a gift too. They are gorgeous when they molt. And blueish green. A couple got to be 7".

DFW Tfan

Arachnopeon
I am caring for three new 3/4-1" OBT juvies... the lid NEVER comes off completely!

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Thanks to all for your vote of confidance. I am always shoked at the support and comrodery that comes through on this board.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I didn't expect a Blue Fang to be very fast either. I'll miss him. :(

OMG, there's a puking smiley now! {D{D{D

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I assume he did not survive his escape attempt?
He bolted up my arm once during transfer, didn't fall, but after about a week he wasn't doing well.

I've made it a habit of washing my hands after work everyday. It's just possible I contaminated the cage with some sort of flea or tick control. I work with dogs and right now I can't think of any other reason it got sick.

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
He bolted up my arm once during transfer, didn't fall, but after about a week he wasn't doing well.

I've made it a habit of washing my hands after work everyday. It's just possible I contaminated the cage with some sort of flea or tick control. I work with dogs and right now I can't think of any other reason it got sick.
Sorry to hear that, my condolences.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ah yes, learning through experience. Ain't it grand?

I have a couple of slings that are crazy hyper like that. They make runs for freedom almost any time I open the lid. I have to be very careful for feedings and have taken to using a dull hypodermic needle to squirt water through a ventilation hole.

The funny thing about it is that these slings are B. smithi. Who knew?