My first Ts!!!! B. vagans and L.parahybana

dubias

Arachnopeon
Went to some herp show last weekend, came back with 2 VERY TINY spiders that I bought 5$ each!
I have them in a delicup each filled with a lil bit of coco fiber (COIR) and I tossed 1 smallest dubias in there but I would like to know if there is anything else I should know/do .. I have NO experience with Ts and I really am willing to give them the best for them.
I will find some caresheet later but the reason I am asking you guys, is if there ever is something special I need to do since they're probably a few days/week old! I am planning on feeding them dubias and crickets mostly, but also a few random worms if they'll have them.
Tx!

PitViper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
pictures would help with the size, but i have 9 L. Parahybana slings and i just mist and feed every 3-5 days, when they start to outgrow their current container upgrade them, nothing really difficult, just that when they are in pre-molt make sure that there aren't crickets in the container.

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:3:Welcome to the wonderful world of B. vagans - I call mine Diablo because he is one HELLCAT of a tarantula: he's a notorious hair-flicker, fiercely defends his domain at the slightest intrusion (for example, if I try to move his water dish - with tongs, let me assure you - it turns into a bout of tug-of-war), he rears up in attack-mode if I so much as disturb the air around him, and he re-decorates his bachelor pad as often as Joan Rivers re-arranges her facelifts. He's also the class clown, and I'm always catching him doing things that make me laugh out loud.

And that's why I love him.

I never tire of telling B vagans stories, and I never tire of reading them ... so please, keep us informed as you get to know your precious little one (he won't stay little for long!)

My L parahybana is, to a lesser extent, a bad-boy too - eats like there's no tomorrow, flicks hairs to the point that he has none left to flick until the next molt, and rarely confines himself to his hide, which is great because pet-holes can become a real bore.

Both are ridiculously easy to take care of, so your first two (of many!) Ts are great choices in my humble opinion. :clap::clap:

p.s. Photos are also greatly appreciated in this forum, hint, hint ....

dubias

Arachnopeon
alright here comes a pics of them right now; i am moving them in 16oz delicups tonight
this is the vagans (it already ate a whole dubias >_>)

this is the parahybana

as you can see, they re both VERY small but I guess you guys are used to babies! you call that slings right?

thanks a lot btw!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Very nice and welcome to the obsession ;)

Slings is correct I believe for the most part anything under 1" DLS (diagonal leg span) and is a concatenated form of "Spiderling" or just "Sling"

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Based on their size I would reccomend you house them in the vials they are in through the next molt, maybe two, before moving them to the 16oz containers.

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Based on their size I would reccomend you house them in the vials they are in through the next molt, maybe two, before moving them to the 16oz containers.
I agree. I would remove the paper towel and opt for some coconut coir or loose peat and put a good 1/4 of the vial full and let them web up.

Paper towel will become soiled and dry too quickly and may have a "desiccant" effect on tiny slings wherein it may upon drying such the moisture out of the slings themselves.

I've seen them used however I've never done them for any amount of time and for such tiny slings.

They are small enough now for a bottom of coco coir and the size of vial they are in now.

PitViper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I also agree with leaving them in the vial until they are around 1", and using some substrate in the vial.

dubias

Arachnopeon
oh ok.... I guess it is for them to easyly find their food?? I will move them back to their tiny vials! I already have a hard time finding them in the big delicups
thanks a lot!

dubias

Arachnopeon
there I moved them from the delicups behind, back to their tiny vials... I ll wait several monthes before putting them back in there.
I put a small amount of coco fiber at the bottom, with a small pieces of wood. I will toss a baby dubias in there every now and then. I will also put a few drops of water to keep humidity high. Anything else I should do?
Thanks again

Last edited by a moderator:

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They don't need the wood in there, neither of them climb. Our B. vagans all burrow down, and I've never had LP slings, but I think they might benefit more from more substrate than that stick. Just my two cents. Good luck with them, they'll grow quickly.

Cass