Identify My Tarantula's Gender/Age?

JennieDoomsday

Arachnopeon
Hi. Here are some photos of a Texas Brown Tarantula I caught recently. It was missing two back legs. Can any of you help me figure out the spider's gender and age from these photos?

Also, here's a video of me catching it so you can see the size.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2EEK1VBtdU

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Welcome to this forum as well Jennie. :) Again, nice job on the rescue, and congrats on being "bit" by the tarantula bug. You will really enjoy your new friend.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Welcome to the forum :)

In order to tell if your spider is male or female, we need what is called a "ventral" shot - that is, a picture of the underside of the abdomen. Inbetween the book lungs (the white blobs), will be the furrow... that will allow us to guess on whether or not your T is male or female. If you want to know for sure, you have to examine this same part on the molt :)

As for telling if the spider is mature or not, you'll want to look up the approximate size this species reaches and compare it to the spider you have. A mature male will have hooks and enlarged palps, and a mature female can be sexed by molt.

Congrats on your new additon! :D

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
it doesn't really look mature male to me. nonspikey legs that are still pretty good diameter

the pedipalps are not visible in the pics, but it doesn't hold them like it's knuckle walking either... another slight indicator that it is not a mature male

other than that... no clue. pretty thing, though, for sure!

DanHalen

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'd personally change the substrate to something more suitable.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
From the video you posted I'd say that the tarantula is not mature yet. It's pretty difficult to determine age because it depends so much on how much they eat and temperatures. They have a much more elastic metabolism than mammals do.

As for the substrate, DanHalen makes a good point. You should change it to peat or coco coir (bed-a-beast or jungle bed or whatever trade name you see) Or perhaps native soil where you see these guys as long as you KNOW there are no pesticides, fertilizers, etc in it. It's also better practice not to feed wild caught insects due to the possibility of accumulated pesticieds or parasites. However, since you cought this specimen in the wild anyway it's not really as critical I suppose.

Nice catch! It's a beautiful specimen.