What do male hooks look like?

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I recently purchased a hude g.porteri.when it walks on me,it feels like claws.I know you can tell males by "hooks",but where are they located and what do I look for?

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would draw you a sweet picture in paint but I'm at work and don't have access to paint. It would be located on the tibia of the first set of legs. If it's a MM then it will also have emboli (boxing gloves) on it's palps.

If you feel the 'claws' while handling it would be the tarsal hooks that they have at the very end of each set of legs.

Cass

Ms.X

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What you are feeling when he is walking on you are the tarsal claws which are located on the end of each leg. A mature male that has tibial apophysis (hooks) will have them located on the underside of leg I (tibial segment), and you wouldn't feel them as he walked across you. Here are the 'hooks' from a mature male L. violaceopes:

Cass is too quick for me :)

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
here's a couple more pics.

these are the males hooks:

hooks (and bulbs):

just bulbs (because i like the shot :D):

but yeah, you wouldn't feel those hooks from a male, you would be feeling the tarsal claws, so,
If you feel the 'claws' while handling it would be the tarsal hooks that they have at the very end of each set of legs.
pretty much nailed it.

robd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Great pics. Thank you for sharing. I had once seen those bulbs on a T at an expo and do have three MM's right now, but haven't seen bulbs myself and confirmed as such until now.

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my MM L difficilis has the largest bulbs and hooks i've ever seen, when i get home i'll do my best to photo them and upload

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here's my L difficilis' hooks (he wasn't letting me see his bulbs as i've just rehoused him so he was hiding)

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
This pic isn't very well lit and was taken hastily on a crappy phone camera. I thought the pose showed a MMs physical characteristics quite well. He didn't hold it long enough for me to grab a decent camera though :wall:.

[/IMG]

robd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey Joe do you still have that C fasciatum? I have a female that just molted 2 days ago, dude.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No, he was never mine to begin with. He's probably long dead by now. Sorry.