Formicarium I built today :D

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hey guys,
This afternoon I built this ant nest out of some viles and small plastic boxs.
Not to sure how well it will work but heres a photo of the finished product!

Think I may need to add some more ventilation and areas for watering but We shall see how it does!
-Chris

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I collected a small colony of Apheanogaster species for it and there in there doing there thing right now!

koolkid98

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey i know you.I'm mike on yuki keeping ants i'll post a reply on your thread.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Looks like fun. Chris, could you give us a brief breakdown of what the multiple chambers are for?

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
excuse the perhaps rather nooby question, but do the ants have any issue climbing the inside of the plastic tubing?

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Looks like fun. Chris, could you give us a brief breakdown of what the multiple chambers are for?
The large box is meant to be kind of a foraging area.The two 50 dram viles both have smaller viles placed inside so they can tunnel and create a nest that will be visible and the other two boxs are just areas for them to use for whatever they wish hehe!

excuse the perhaps rather nooby question, but do the ants have any issue climbing the inside of the plastic tubing?
None yet!They have actually been using the long tube to store all there eggs and larvae.

sparular

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't see any ventilation. Am I missing it? If there isn't any, I'm guessing that may become a problem for them. Maybe add some fine mesh in some of the tops?
What does this species eat?

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I don't see any ventilation. Am I missing it? If there isn't any, I'm guessing that may become a problem for them. Maybe add some fine mesh in some of the tops?
What does this species eat?
Yeah there really isn't any ventilation holes so that could prove to be a problem down the road!
Regarding food for this specific species I'm unsure.I'm going to try honey,sugar water and dead insect prey and see how that goes.
The female has settled in nicely and has already been laying eggs!So far so good!If I have time I will take some new photos tonight.This is a pretty neat species!
-Chris

koolkid98

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
He he dead?I feed my rubras live they sting them and kill them.For some reason my rubras decided to make a new queen wounder why i only have about 10 workers at most.four queens FYI.