Happy Mothers' Day

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The nymphs molted into first (or is it second?) instars yesterday, exactly one month after the mother first laid her eggs. They will begin to leave their loving guardian over the next couple of days. Their uniform yellow color does seem a little odd though, judging from the usual appearance of young pedelings of this species (Scolopendra subspinipes mutilans).

super-pede

Arachnobaron
Congratz!I just love sifting through the substrate to find the stray plings then separating the rest don't you?

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Another molt and they'll be turning blue. :D
This is what mine looked like just before turning blue, then they'd start wandering all over the place.
You're not leaving some with mom?

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Another molt and they'll be turning blue. :D
This is what mine looked like just before turning blue, then they'd start wandering all over the place.
You're not leaving some with mom?
Odd, a couple of the babies already have the blueish central body striping typical in pedelings of this species. Maybe they just take a couple of days to develop the color, or do they molt a second time? Also, can they feed at this stage?

I'll definitely be leaving some with the mother.

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Odd, a couple of the babies already have the blueish central body striping typical in pedelings of this species. Maybe they just take a couple of days to develop the color, or do they molt a second time? Also, can they feed at this stage?

I'll definitely be leaving some with the mother.
I really can't remember if they molt another time or not.
I didn't feed them until they were in the blue stage.
I also noticed that when I fed the mom, they would share the food.
Sweet, keep us updated!

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I really can't remember if they molt another time or not.
I didn't feed them until they were in the blue stage.
I also noticed that when I fed the mom, they would share the food.
Sweet, keep us updated!
The mother would share food with the pedelings? Nice! It will be interesting to see how long this behaviour lasts with the bunch of the babies I'll leave in there.

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The mother would share food with the pedelings? Nice! It will be interesting to see how long this behaviour lasts with the bunch of the babies I'll leave in there.
I don't know if the mother did this intentionally or not.
But I saw that those close-by to the prey item when she caught it would share it with her.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't know if the mother did this intentionally or not.
But I saw that those close-by to the prey item when she caught it would share it with her.
Cool.

Here are a few of them. They are quite literally turning blue - look at the difference in color between the front and back halves of their bodies!

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
An early Happy Father's day wish as well.

Gavin, Well, I bet it will be seeing that their father doesn't know them and would be nothin' short of happy to eat them. On 2nd sunday in June you'll be happy having watched 'em grow. So.. Cool pedelings and..............

Happy father's day,

Terry

satanslilhelper

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Leave them alone as much as possible, and make sure the humidity is high.
Thank you!! I've been reading a lot about this tonight. Luckily, the humidity stays pretty high around here naturally. I'd say it's around 70% and that's in a room with a window A/C unit. I'm going to move her tomorrow afternoon to the dining room where she will be left alone.

I have her in the deli cup that I got her in a month ago. I can't really put a piece of bark or rock in there for her to hide under. Is this a big deal?

Sorry for hijacking the thread OP. I'll start my own as soon as I upload the video I took of my girl with her eggs.

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thank you!! I've been reading a lot about this tonight. Luckily, the humidity stays pretty high around here naturally. I'd say it's around 70% and that's in a room with a window A/C unit. I'm going to move her tomorrow afternoon to the dining room where she will be left alone.

I have her in the deli cup that I got her in a month ago. I can't really put a piece of bark or rock in there for her to hide under. Is this a big deal?

Sorry for hijacking the thread OP. I'll start my own as soon as I upload the video I took of my girl with her eggs.
I think she should be fine as long as she's kept dark.