plants

endoflove

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
can any one give me a list of plants they use or what dose work for low lighting (i mean occasional window light) for enclouser i was considreing a bunch of luckey banboos (live), and do u get urs form green houses the one im buy uses pesticides and stuff... white residue on the leaves = bad idea

Saf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Have a look into "succulents".

They are accustomed to arid environments, but seem capable of adapting a range of conditions. Coupled with the fact they come in a vast array of shapes sizes and colours, I find they make excellent additions to a terrarium.

Another bonus is that they require very little water, as due to their acclimatization to dry areas, they absorb what water they acquire, and store it in their leaves, to ration it as needed.

They are also very reasonably priced. :)

Last edited:

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
You might also want to place in your set-up in their pots. This will allow you to water them without adding moisture to your substrate, prevent your T from redecorating(digging them up), and you will be able to easily remove it for whatever reason.

photobuggirl

Arachnopeon
I've actually been looking into what plants people use with their spiders too. Just like smallara98, I'm now using pothos plants too. Robc recommends them, which was the reason I went with pothos.

do u get urs form green houses the one im buy uses pesticides and stuff
I was concerned about this as well. I called every nursery in town and couldn't find any (including the really expensive, high end stores) that didn't use insecticides. I had to ask Robc before I felt comfortable with it and he, like you might expect, was really helpful and kind. He mentions that he rinses the plant well, removes all the soil (he'd mentioned that this is where most of the pesticides would be), and plants the pothos in the cocofiber.

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've actually been looking into what plants people use with their spiders too. Just like smallara98, I'm now using pothos plants too. Robc recommends them, which was the reason I went with pothos.

I was concerned about this as well. I called every nursery in town and couldn't find any (including the really expensive, high end stores) that didn't use insecticides. I had to ask Robc before I felt comfortable with it and he, like you might expect, was really helpful and kind. He mentions that he rinses the plant well, removes all the soil (he'd mentioned that this is where most of the pesticides would be), and plants the pothos in the cocofiber.
oh pothos, I looked it up finally. I had no idea that was what they were called. I have bunches of those in my house. I never use pesticides on my plants. These are very hardy and will tolerate the worst of abuses. They reproduce through propagation. A single stem with one leaf will become an entire plant in no time.

super-pede

Arachnobaron
pineapple plants,mini ferns,mini palms,horse tails,draceana,bamboo's,lucky bamboo,elephant ears,lily's,air plants, etc.Ive used all these plants sucesfully.

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
pineapple plants,mini ferns,mini palms,horse tails,draceana,bamboo's,lucky bamboo,elephant ears,lily's,air plants, etc.Ive used all these plants sucesfully.
Sweet, thanks. I want to try live plants in my set-ups as well.

photobuggirl

Arachnopeon
I didn't search a ton about plants that people use successfully in T enclosures, but some of the plants that I wanted to use, I briefly read about online. Something that I found discouraging were the stories I read about people battling with mite problems with the plants I was considering. That's enough to at least make me think twice about the plants I'd use.

I'm not a gardener, but from the little that I read, pothos plants and mite problems occur considerably less than most house plants. That's another reason why I went with pothos.

endoflove

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hmmm ok now how about a soruce? like home depo or local store? dose the regular use pestisced mena a nO NO?

Herpetologydude

Arachnosquire
Yea I use Pothos in a few cages as well, they are probably one of the more widely used plants in regards to terrarium design.

photobuggirl

Arachnopeon
hmmm ok now how about a soruce? like home depo or local store? dose the regular use pestisced mena a nO NO?
It seems almost every place that sells plants will use pesticides. I couldn't find pothos at a large Walmart, but they were available at Lowes near me.

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
Pothos are awesome. Very hardy, very green :)

I took one one out of our chams cage to break apart for other cages. Half of it is sitting in our large container of coco fiber with no water. Been there for 2 weeks and not even the slightest wilt! So you know they would do fine in a dry cage too

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Have a look into "succulents".

They are accustomed to arid environments, but seem capable of adapting a range of conditions. Coupled with the fact they come in a vast array of shapes sizes and colours, I find they make excellent additions to a terrarium.

Another bonus is that they require very little water, as due to their acclimatization to dry areas, they absorb what water they acquire, and store it in their leaves, to ration it as needed.

They are also very reasonably priced. :)
They also need a lot of light. So they aren't good tarantula plants.

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
List of non-toxic plants for your terrarium

Common Name / Scientific name * ABELIA (Abelia grandiflora) * AFRICAN VIOLET (Saintpaulia ionantha) * SWEET ALYSSUM (Allyssum sp.) * ASPERAGUS FERN (Asperagus setaceus plumosis) * ASTER (Aster sp.) * BABY TEARS (Helxine soleirolii) * BIRD'S NEST FERN (Asplenium nidus) * BOSTON FERN (Nephrolepsis exalta) * BOTTLE BRUSH (Callistemom) * BOUGANVILLEA (Bouganvillea) * BRIDAL VEIL (Tripogandra multiflora) * BROMELIADS (Aechmea; Bilbergia; Cryptanthus) * CACTUS, SPINELESS (Astrophytum) * CAMELLIA (Camellia japonica) * COLEUS (Coleus) * CORN PLANT (Dracaena fragrans) * CREEPING CHARLIE (Pilea nummulariifolia)* * CROTON (Codiaeum sp.) * DRACAENA (Dracaena) * EMERALD RIPPLE (Peperomia caperata) * EUGENIA (Peperomia caperata) * FUSCHIA (Fuschia) * GERANIUM (Pelargonium sp.) * HEN AND CHICKS SUCCULENT (Echeveria) * HIBISCUS (Hibiscus rosa-sinensis) * HOYA (Hoya exotica) * ICEPLANT (Mesembryanthemum crystallinum) * IMPATIENS (Impatiens) * JADE PLANT (Crassula argentea) * JAPANESE ARALIA (Fatsia japonica) * JASMINE (Jasminum officinale: J. grandifloum) * LAVENDER (Lavandula officinalis) * MARIGOLD (Calendula officinalis) * MONKEY PLANT (Ruellia makoyana) * MOTHER OF PEARL (Graptopetalum paraguayen) * NATAL PLUM (Carissa grandiflora) * PAINTED NETTLE (Coleus) * PALMS (Areca sp.) * PAMPAS GRASS (Cortaderia selloana) * PARLOR PALM (Chamaedorea elegans) * PEPEROMIA (Peperomia caperata) * PETUNIA (Petunia) * PHOENIX (Phoenix roebelenii) * PIGGYBACK PLANT (Tolmiea menziesii) * PILEA (Pilea sp.) * PINK POLKA-DOT PLANT (H. ypoestes sang.) * PONYTAIL PLANT (Beaucarnea recurvata) * PRAYER PLANT (Maranta leuconeura) * PURPLE PASSION: PURPLE VELVET (Gynura) * SPIDER PLANT (Chlorophytum comosum) * STAGHORN FERN (Platycerium bifurcatum) * SWEDISH IVY (Plectranthus australis) * TREE MALLOW (Lavatera assurgentiflora) * UMBRELLA PLANT (Eriogonum umbrellum)** * VELVET PLANT (Gynura aurantaca) * WANDERING JEW (Tradescantia albiflora) * WARNECKII (Dracaena deremensis) * WAX PLANT (Hoya exotica) * ZEBRA PLANTY (Calathea zebrina) * ZINNIAS (Zinnia sp.)

* Not to be confused with another "creeping charlie," Glecoma heteracea which is toxic

** Not to be confused with another "umbrella" plant, Schefflera actinophylla which is toxic.

flyguycolorado

Arachnopeon
I have used Potho plants in the past-but no longer have any live plants- just easier to take care of that way.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you are looking for a true 'low light' plant, pothos or snake plant work well. Once you start adding lighting, your choices are added to as well. Wandering Jew is a wonderful plant to use, it will grow a ton with decent light and is beautiful to boot. We also use succulents, but they require a light as well.