What Tarantulas have you kept communal with success

KenTheBugGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
What Tarantulas have you kept communal

Posting time periods would be neat and amount together. Sizes would be interesting also.

Mine were all slings when put together but many quite a bit larger by the end.
H Incei - lots - over a year
P Meranda -3 - 8 months+
P Regalis- lots - Over year
P Tigriniwessli - however you spell those ;) - 3 - 8 Months+
H Gigas - lots - 6 Months+
P Striata - 3 - 8 Months+
P Pedersini -3 - 8 Months+
Avic avic - Lots - some disappeared though....hmmmm - 6 months plus
Chinese Mantis - whole ooth- TONS disappeared ....thank goodness ;)
......will think some more tommorrow....

Last edited:

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
a very good friend of mine has 3 or 4 H. gigas together right now that hes had together since they were just under an inch in size, and they are now over two inches and doing fine. he started with 10 together and separated a number of them out because he was afraid of loosing them during feeding. when he opened the lid they would all go darting around, some up some down...it got kinda messy so he dropped the number down to a manageable amount.

at the store i work at we commonly keep Avic species together, 3 up to 6 adult/subadults at a time, we have had some get munched but usually not enough where we refuse to do it anymore.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
myself.

H. incei
H. villosella
OBT(though some say it doesnt work, mine did)

tried a p. regalis communal and only 1 lived...

Rick & Brandy

Arachnopeon
Avicularia avicularia: 2 females, 1 male adults. The one female made her sac and we never had a problem.

KenTheBugGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
success

Wouldn't we need to define 'success' first?
Since I made this thread I would say success is that the majority seem to get along fine. The ooth was a joke on mine but the others got along mostly.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Since I made this thread I would say success is that the majority seem to get along fine. The ooth was a joke on mine but the others got along mostly.
We still need more than that...

'The majority' = 51% of the group?

For what period of time?

KenTheBugGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
We still need more than that...

'The majority' = 51% of the group?

For what period of time?
Just majority will do more than half did well. Also I am not a hard case here I just wanted to hear what people have tried and had live together. If they post time periods that would even be better for people to read but I don't think a time period really constitutes success or not :) When we start getting all technical its just no fun. We now have 4 threads in this thread that people have to read before gettign to what others have kept together.....its like saying that black tarantula is a dark grey not black so get it off this black tarantula list....in essence who cares.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I respectfully submit that those parameters do not indicate a successful communal.

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
would something like 80-90% survival rates be a better idea of successful? I only don't put 100% a minority may be lost to bad moults etc?

KenTheBugGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
just post

would something like 80-90% survival rates be a better idea of successful? I only don't put 100% a minority may be lost to bad moults etc?
Just post that you lost a % amount and others can decide if it was successful on thier own.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I respectfully submit GET OVER IT!

Title says with success not successfully.
Chill out, Ken.

So 'with success' and 'successfully' mean two different things? Where'd you learn that?

You're also telling me that starting with 20 and ending with 2 would be considered a success, since you had more than 1 spider at the end.

Sorry if I upset you by trying to bring some kind of logic and thought process to this discussion.

Also, nice edit to your original post to add time periods.

KenTheBugGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Chill out, Ken.

So 'with success' and 'successfully' mean two different things? Where'd you learn that?

You're also telling me that starting with 20 and ending with 2 would be considered a success, since you had more than 1 spider at the end.

Sorry if I upset you by trying to bring some kind of logic and thought process to this discussion.
As I said it would be nice for people just to post that stuff and others can decide...I wish I had kept success out of the title as I can't change that I was just looking for peoples experience with communal groups. Not to start semantic arguments. Its just ridiculous almost every thread on AB seems to get into one of these arguments.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There was no argument; I was trying to clarify what you considered success and offer my thoughts based on that.

KenTheBugGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
k

There was no argument; I was trying to clarify what you considered success and offer my thoughts based on that.
I see, my confusion Joe but as I said I just want to hear experiences and what I define as success or you, might be different so don't really care. I just want to hear of some communal set ups what people have tried.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I see, my confusion Joe but as I said I just want to hear experiences and what I define as success or you, might be different so don't really care. I just want to hear of some communal set ups what people have tried.
No problem, there was confusion on both ends. :)

I'll post my limited communal experiences in a little while.

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Kept a communal of 3 p. fasciata together from 3/4' to roughly 4" before I had to seperate them to sell them.

:)

Last edited:

pwilson5

Arachnoknight
ken, i think this is a great thread idea... i think anything over 50% would be considered a
"success"... with varying degrees of success-ability

obviously 80% is better than 50%...

Crows Arachnids

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Communal Experience

I have kept most of Poecilotheria communaly. The list and time frames (approximate) are listed accordingly.

Poecilotheria Regalis- (1 Male 2 Females) 9 Months plus- No issue (as defined by one or the other dying).

Poecilotheria Regalis- SLINGS (125) Over the course of a year 15 or so dissapeared.

Poecilotheria Rufilata- SLINGS (5) 6 Months 1 Eaten (female ate female -.-)

Poecilotheria Rufilata- PAIR female ate male after 7 Months.

Poecilotheria Ornata- PAIR female ate male after 3 days.

Poecilotheria Ornata- SLINGS (5) together for 1 week 2 ate 2 (Least communal of Poecilotheria so far)

Poecilotheria Metallica- PAIRS (4 pairs) Ranged from 4-8 months No issues.

Poecilotheria Metallica- SLINGS (5) 8 months No issues.

Poecilotheria Striata- PAIR female ate male after 3 months

Poecilotheria Striata- SLINGS (10) 2 dissapeared within the 9 months they were together.

Poecilotheria Pederseni- PAIR male lived with female for 6 months no issues, assistant forgot to feed her, male dissapeared, I attribute that to lack of food. She is currently with another male, now for 2 weeks, no issues thus far.

Poecilotheria Fasciata- SLINGS (3) 8 months no issues.

Poecilotheria Smithi- SLINGS (4) 8 months, one died (NOT EATEN, was a very sickly spider)

Poecilotheria Formosa- PAIR currently together after 7 months, no issues.

Poecilotheria Miranda- Slings (10) 1 was eaten after 6 months.

I am posting again in reference to something else, this post is getting too long :( I have yet to list the Avics, Obts, and others......

Last edited: