Males cannibalizing females when mating?

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm just wondering if this happens.

We hear so much about female on male cannibalism, but I've never come across a report of the reverse. I tried a few searches, but, well...I just got the usual stuff. I don't know if there's a good way to have the search protocol work the way I want it to for this query.:confused:

EDIT: I should clarify. When mating is attempted.

Ms.X

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A local friend of mine had a MM P. irminia munch his female when they were introduced.

Rick & Brandy

Arachnopeon
YES! We tried to breed versicolors a few months back and he ate her! And yes She was a mature female!! I beleive the title to that thread was ; why would he kill her? But if you search our name it should come up.

Lucara

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Yes I've heard a few cases of it. Friend of mine lost his A. juruenicola female to a male.

joshuai

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
when i paired my obts the male bred her then tried to bite her face off good thing i did not leave them together!

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I imagine a few cases would be down to introduction of an immature male? That would seem a logical way for a female to be put at risk. Alternatively introduction of a mature male into a female who is not of appropriate maturity would also probably put them at risk (as mentioned by someone above)

Scourge

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've had a mature male C. elegans kill the female during mating.

MIC

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've had a mature male C. elegans kill the female during mating.
I have never considered this as a possibility, when I found my mature female dead in the same enclosure where I have inserted his mate. They were doing well for a couple of days and I was able to notice rather some aggressiveness from the female to the male but never ending to a real attack. When I found her dead, I thought that it was because of age. She was inside her burrow and the male was just behind her, outside the burrow, without touching her at this particular moment. Naturally, I don't know what was going on before and as I said I ve never consider him as a responsible for her death. Maybe I have to change my mind for this.

Scorpionqueen20

Arachnopeon
I never heard of that happening either until I came to this page. Know a few people with T's and they have never mentioned a problem. Good to know to keep a whether eye on the MM's as well as the Females. Thanks guys.

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Happens

Once to a friends Versi, and another friends A.Purpurea female :eek:

My Vagans MM bit the leg of female mate......she clotted/healed, and Layed a sack fine = 354 babies.......:p {she ate him L8TR on :}}

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So, it does happen! Interesting.
So is the pigs can fly if you lunch em of catapult ;P
I know someone tried to breed Mature male to penultimate male, PU end up been killed there goes --->OMG! my female got munched
also old or sick females get munched by males
it unusual and unlikely but it happens as a natures select or just incidents