Burrowing G. rosea

Treynok

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have read the guide for G. rosea and many others found on many different websites. Everything I have read says they don't burrow in captivity. I started a small indent under a half log against the side of the enclosure, I can say this T is like a freaking bulldozer. It kept the tunnel against the glass for the full length of the bark/log. The tunnel is about 9 inches deep on a gradual slope and then it has a huge cavern area carved out going towards the center of the tank. I used about 80% coco-fiber and had it slightly damp (like barely wet) and then mixed in sand until it was dry. Every night it digs more and more, seems to web a little dirt, pick it up and carry out of the tunnel and search for a place to stick it, doesn't just drop it but feels around then sticks it right where it wants it. I'm not sure if it is a male or a female but know it is not adult and I've only had it (my first T) for about 2 weeks now.

Does anyone else find anything interesting like this in any of their T's?

The spider seems very relaxed and is feeding very well. I can take a picture if anyone wants to see the tunnel / spider, it could be possible it was mislabeled (Petco) but it looks like G. rosea, I don't claim to have a good eye for these things though.

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
it is a lie, i believe they can and both of mine do. in fact, one has a pretty epic burrow that is leading to under the water dish, its impressive. i have a theory it might be gearing up for a molt and is digging the extra humidity in sub in that area of the cage.

Treynok

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Pics

What do you have for substrate just interested to get feedback.

These aren't great pics of the T, and they don't do the burrow justice cause the back of it is so dark, I also cover the tunnel on the side most of the time unless I'm watching it, the abdomen seems darker in color but I'm a newbie to this.

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i use just-made eco earth layered with bone dry eco-earth (usually made a couple weeks in advance or just buy the loose stuff) with all of my Ts so far.

funny enough, i'm experimenting with making a coco coir/sand naturalistic tank and seeing what humidity it keeps right now too though. i haven't put a T in it yet, i'll probably wait a month. i dont want to run the risk of dessication in case i messed up and put too much sand.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Well, they burrow in the wild, so I think, given the right conditions, they will burrow in captivity. That must mean you're doing something right!

Mine doesn't (I don't keep her in a burrowing setup) But I've seen her haul dirt around many times.

In this thread, you can see some extensive, ant-farm like rosea burrows!

Treynok

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for the link I did search but missed that one. Also from the pictures can you tell me anything about my T, I think mine looks a lot more coppery than the ones I've started seeing now(it could just be the picture quality), they look a lot more brown. Petco had it in for like 3 months here and it has not molted while they had it, I also don't think it is close to molt as it is taking food very eagerly whenever I put a B. lateralis in, like one every 3 days.

I heard males are more vibrant, and I also read that there are RCF, I'm thinking it may be a male but no way to tell yet.

The pictures don't really do mine justice either.

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for the link I did search but missed that one. Also from the pictures can you tell me anything about my T, I think mine looks a lot more coppery than the ones I've started seeing now, they look a lot more brown. Petco had it in for like 3 months here and it has not molted while they had it, I also don't think it is close to molt as it is taking food very eagerly whenever I put a B. lateralis in, like one every 3 days.
there's two colour forms of rosea, regular and RCF. the pictures makes me thing RCF against what you say, but you'll want to ask someone with more experience than me with IDs for a better answer. also there is the "chilean copper" P. scrofa that is sold about the same price, sometimes even as roseas. thats about as far as my knowlege about that goes, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Lilija

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Really pretty colors on that rosea! All my roseas have been weird. My current resident pulled up all the silk flowers in her tank, and moved them around. One of them used to threat and cartwheel at the water I'd trickle into bowl. The water-biter was also an earth mover, pushing up small mountains of substrate against the glass. Not so much digging a burrow, but like...building one, obstructing any outside views into her lair.

Treynok

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Awesome, thanks, I'm not sure on the whole molting thing, they stop eating before a molt normally right? Well mine has now sealed off the entrance of the tunnel with a ton of dirt all moved in one night so there is no way in or out, but I can still see in through the glass. There is no way for it to get to food and water now but I'm gonna let it go as it knows more about what it's doing than I do and I'm not about to mess anything it is attempting up. It hasn't flipped or anything yet but I'm guessing since it has sealed itself in that it is anticipating a molt?

I ask about the stop eating thing cause this one has eaten like 4 lats in 2 weeks I've had it and was drinking heavily from the dish.

I may video the molt as well since there is such a good view into the sealed chamber.

Treynok

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok, so if it has that flap inside the molted carapace then it will be a female, if it is a male then it will have tibial hooks if molted to mature, I hope it is getting ready to molt though as it has effectively sealed itself in, I have seen it dig (named it Dozer) though just worried about a collapse if it goes too deep where there is no support above where it is digging.

Thanks for all the info, learned a lot from one thread, I knew you could tell from the cast carapace if it was male or female but wasn't sure what to look for.

Adalrich

Arachnopeon
Treynok, thanks! I just posted about my plans to re-do my rosea's enclosure in another thread.

My G. rosea has been digging and digging ever since I got her (3 months ago). Her enclosure is starting to look like it's been carpet bombed, and the entire back has been dug out. She's clearly trying to dig a burrow for herself, but there isn't anything suitable for her to dig under. I've been thinking about replacing her current coconut shell hide with a half-log one and then burying it in substrate, and it seems that that would work well :D

The way you've placed the log right next to the glass is really rather awesome, but are you sure the tarantula isn't bothered since it can't get away from people's prying eyes? I've been considering doing the same, but I'm not sure whether or not it'd stress the spider.

Treynok

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You can actually place anything there to cover it up when not viewing, I put a towel there to help keep temp regulated with it being right next to the glass. But if I forget to cover it back up the T doesn't really seemed stressed at all. I mean the T seems relaxed even when the viewing spot isn't covered as long as it's not picking up vibrations or anything and I think this T is pretty skittish though it is my first, it usually runs into the tunnel when I open the lid for feeding but is then quick to run to the end of the tunnel for the food that sits there. I was concerned about the same things you are and I put the half bark there and it was mostly filled in with substrate which it dug out and chose the spot on it's own really. It seemed right at home digging it out and am glad I added the sand in as before that it seemed to not like being on the coco fiber.

I'm glad that this thread is able to help other people in some way besides just me