Man died from Tarantula bite

Jakob

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My grandmother who lives in Germany is sending me a newspaper article of a man who appareantly died from a tarantula bite in Germany. This is all I know so far...I'm sure the article says the name and whether he was allergic or not etc etc...

I'm really looking forward to reading it. Maybe Martin Huber knows of this? If so Martin...please explain further, thank you!

If this indeed is true, would this not be the FIRST ever documented death from a tarantula bite?

Later,

Jake

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Maybe, maybe not. A newspaper article in itself isn't documentation. Is there any sort of independent corroboration, hopefully of the medical journal kind is the real question.

I mean, the Weekly World News "documents" a lot of stuff, doesn't make it true.

Good thing medical proof doesn't work like taxonomy.

Iowa T Keeper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah no kidding I couldn't believe it. I read that they gunned down big foot in cold blood and she was trying to surrender with her baby in her arms. Poor big foot at least we have Weekly World News to bring these shocking injustices to our eyes. jk=D

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by Code Monkey

Good thing medical proof doesn't work like taxonomy.
Otherwise, Batboy would be a proven species by half the community, and the other half would say he's a subspecies or a junior synonym of Homo sapiens.

Bill

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by conipto
Otherwise, Batboy would be a proven species by half the community, and the other half would say he's a subspecies or a junior synonym of Homo sapiens.
Nah, it would all be invalidated because the type specimen has been lost :D

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
With all the people that have been bitten, it would seem that someone would be allergic to spider venom, have complications, and die. After all, fire ant bite in Florida has killed people. Bee sting has killed people. Why no T bite deaths?

The answer probably is because in and of itself its not life threatening. It hurts, it could cause volmiting, it could cause cramps, fatigue, death in rodents, but Homo sapiens seems not to be the target species for this venom.

Jakob

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As I said earlier...I have not seen the actual artcile nor do I know what the specifics are...all I know is what I've been told by my mother who was told by her mother. I will write updates whenever I get to read it, although I'm sure Martin and other Germans/surrounding residents would already know of this.

Later,

Jake

PS: CM, what exactly qualifies as "documentation". I'm not doubting you in any way, but would like to know and I'm sure you can provide me with an answer. Thanks in advance:)

esmoot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm not saying your Gma is a liar but for now it's just another rumor. It could have happend but for now........

Jakob

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by esmoot
I'm not saying your Gma is a liar but for now it's just another rumor. It could have happend but for now........
Yeah I know...I never claimed any of this is true, however, the possibility is out there. As Professor T said, people can be allergic to anything and if you're allergic your chances of survival are decreased dramatically.

And if this is not a case of an allergic reaction then I'd really like to know the circumstances under which this bite occured and especially by what species of tarantula is was induced.

Later,

Jake

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Interestingly enough, I am also looking for an old newspaper artivcle from last week that stated one of our old football players lost an arm to a tarantula bite.
As soon as I have it, I will share.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by JakeRocks
PS: CM, what exactly qualifies as "documentation". I'm not doubting you in any way, but would like to know and I'm sure you can provide me with an answer. Thanks in advance:)
If someone actually died of a tarantula bite then at the very least there will be a medical coroner's report available as a matter of public record to this fact. Given that it's never happened before, it should also find its way into a medical journal where it would be available to the whole world. That's the sort of documentation this type of scenario would need.

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
About newspapers...

I got a article from a US newspaper that Heinrich Himmler is alive...
I think in all honesty that the validity are the same for the article of the tarantula bite.

/Lelle

Jakob

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: About newspapers...

Originally posted by Crotalus
I got a article from a US newspaper that Heinrich Himmler is alive...
I think in all honesty that the validity are the same for the article of the tarantula bite.

/Lelle
Could you tell us the specifics i.e. what species bit him etc. etc.?

Jake

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah I know...I never claimed any of this is true, however, the possibility is out there. As Professor T said, people can be allergic to anything and if you're allergic your chances of survival are decreased dramatically.

And if this is not a case of an allergic reaction then I'd really like to know the circumstances under which this bite occured and especially by what species of tarantula is was induced.

Later,

Jake
So many bites from captive tarantulas and no one has ever reported a serious allergic reaction, anaphylactic chock. This makes me think that theraphosid venom are not prone to induce such a reaction.
Just because an animal are venomous that doesnt mean the venom can cause a anaphylactic chock.

/Lelle

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Re: Re: About newspapers...

Could you tell us the specifics i.e. what species bit him etc. etc.?

Jake
Heinrich Himmler was the leader of SS in the third reich and commited suicide in prison. I wrote it just because you cant believe anything that are printed in a newspaper.

/Lelle

Jakob

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So many bites from captive tarantulas and no one has ever reported a serious allergic reaction, anaphylactic chock. This makes me think that theraphosid venom are not prone to induce such a reaction.
Just because an animal are venomous that doesnt mean the venom can cause a anaphylactic chock.

/Lelle
"REPORTED" is the key word here. Just because nobody repoted it, doesn't mean it never happenend. What you said could very well be true, however. Besides your statement about the lack of reports, is there anything else that could possibly make tarantula venom unprone to inducing such a "reaction"?

Jake

Jakob

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: Re: Re: About newspapers...

Heinrich Himmler was the leader of SS in the third reich and commited suicide in prison. I wrote it just because you cant believe anything that are printed in a newspaper.

/Lelle
Ahh I see...excuse my lack of WWII knowledge. Now it makes more sense though, thanks!

Jake

burnpile

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Since no city was mentioned, I called my Mother in Munich to see if it was by chance on any of her local news. her response....

"No I didn't hear that, but it dosen't surprise me. You just hope none get out and attack your kids. You and your spiders and lizards. How can anyone love those spiders, they don't come when you call them...blah...blah...blah...God forbid if anything happen to your father and I have to live with you, you must get rid of those animals.....blah...blah...blah"

I just had to share :D
I love you mom.

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
"REPORTED" is the key word here. Just because nobody repoted it, doesn't mean it never happenend. What you said could very well be true, however. Besides your statement about the lack of reports, is there anything else that could possibly make tarantula venom unprone to inducing such a "reaction"?

Jake
I think that would be known, because thats of great toxicological interest and would be for sure reported. Maybe that first case here, but i doubt that. A newspaper article are not a good reference at all. As you know, they write all sort of BS in newspapers.

Some venoms such as bee venom and snake venom are prone to induce anaphy. chock - but so far I havent read or heard of a single case of tarantula bite causing anaphy. chock.

/Lelle