P. Lisoma .. spitting scorpion ??

SweetJustin

Arachnopeon
is the black tipped P. Lisoma the spitting type ?

i remember a P. subspecies that can spray venom up to 3 feet.

CID143ti

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
From what I understand, No. I have not read that P. leiosoma can spray venom. Actually, I believe I have read that they are not part of Parabuthus that spray venom. I've have read that P. transvaalicus, P. mossambicensis and few others can spray venom to the tune of three feet. I have not witnessed one spray but I have spoken with a few that swear that they can.

W. Smith

Last edited:

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
P.leiosoma is not reported to be capable of spraying venom.

P.transvaalicus, P.mossambicensis, P.raudus and P.schlechteri are reported to spray venom if sufficiently agitated according to Leeming in Scorpions of Southern Africa...A very good book by the way. It is plausable that there are other species of Parabuthus that were not covered in his book that can spray their venom but I have not heard of any.

I have witnessed P.transvaalicus spray venom approximately 3ft(1 m) in distance multiple times(3-4) in a few minutes...It probably could have gone slightly further but was blocked by Atrax's leg. :rolleyes: This three foot distance is nearly horizontal indicating a significant amount of force behind the capability. Luckily I had safety goggles on and was on the opposite side of the spray direction as my face was about one foot away from the scorpion behind a camera...no photos of the spray though.

I personally recommend wearing safety goggles or a face shield when working with this species...I always wear safety goggles when working with mine.

John

Last edited:

Cooper

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Kugellager, you said it hit Atrax's leg, correct? Does it irritate the skin, or just the eyes?

Drahn Utdruka

Arachnopeon
Kugellager said:
P.transvaalicus, P.mossambicensis, P.raudus and P.schlechteri are reported to spray venom if sufficiently agitated according to Leeming in Scorpions of Southern Africa...A very good book by the way.
Do you have any more info on this book? Like an ISBN-number (thats what we use in Europe)? Thanks in advance

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Info on Jonathan Leeming's book and on scorpions from souther Africa can be found below. I'd put the ISBN up myself but I am at work and the book is at home...we use the ISBN in the US too.

http://www.scorpions.co.za/

EDIT: Went to the link myself and got the ISBN 1-86872-804-8

The sprayed venom did not leave a stain nor did it have any discernable odor...it was clear in color at first then turned milky after the first spray. The venom droplets hit Atrax on his pants and part of his shirt that was covering his leg. He got some on his hand as well and did not sense any irritation. It is reported that the venom of P.transvaalicus can cause 'semipermanent' damage to your eyes should you get it sprayed in them. Hence the safety goggle recommendation as it is probably not something you want to test. I would surmise that getting the venom in/on and kind of cut on your hand would not be a good idea either.