New pics.....for everyone

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I finally got some new batteries for my digicam so I could take pics for everyone:D

Nothing special, they are all common Ts.

My male P. murinus I got from Sky.

My female P. regalis

My new unsexed A. seemani, which I also got from Sky.

Freshly molted A. versicolor 1.5"

Look at all the pretty sparkles, hehe

Bean, my G. aureostriata, who is in deep premolt (as you can tell) finally came out of her hide to say hi.

I would like to post pics of my new P. cambridgei (which is also from Sky) but it is just too freaken fast.

Enjoy!

Dwayne:D

Keith Richard

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How long has your Chaco been in pre-molt? Mine sealed herself up in her cave a week ago and I have no idea when I'll see her again.

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mine has locked herself up for a month to a month and a half now. Adults have a longer premolt then slings. I am hoping she molts anytime now. The range for premolt can very long.

Did yours do something like this:

Dwayne :D

Keith Richard

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's exactly what she's gone and done. I posted a picture under a thread named "Chaco - unexpected behavior". I'm somewhat relieved that this is pre-molt behavior as opposed to egg-sack laying behavior!!

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
Hey Spider Man 2, I couldn't help but noticed the water dish in your 2nd pic... is that a drowned cric? You might wana consider putting a stone or some pebbles inside...

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes it is, but it was removed. Stones and pebbles is a great idea. Is there a preferable brand or type? My usumbara puts them in there. When he get annoyed he kills the crickets then puts them in his water, yes I have watched him do it.

PapaSmurf

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i put a sponge in my water dish. so the crickets dont drown. all i no is its hard to clean an P.murinus cage when its right there hehe.

josh

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mine hasn't been in threat pose since I have had him. He doesn't seem to mind me putting my fingers in there and grabbing stuff. I just don't touch him with fingers unless I need to move him. I still won't handle him though. ;P

Can the Ts suck the water out of the sponge?

Dwayne :D

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Spider-man 2 said:
Can the Ts suck the water out of the sponge?
Ts can 'suck' water from a sponge about as well as you can drink from a saturated cinder block.

The mechanics of their drinking (or feeding) is this: The T must obtain a contact with liquid and their oral opening. Keep in mind they have the V-groove that leads to this opening. With a liquid source, the adhesion properties of liquid actually draw it up, and then, once the 'hose' is in contact with the water their pumping stomach provides suction and pulls it into their body.

They'd have a better time drinking from saturated substrate, which as least they can 'scoop' into the oral groove and squeeze for liquid water, than a sponge.

Silver.x

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I wouldn't use a sponge just because of bacteria it could harbour.

Aidan

K MUELLER

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
{D So that's what my OBT looks like, it has webbed up the whole kritter keeper to the point where you have to cut the web just to get the lid off!!! nice pic's and nice choices in ''T''s later -Karl

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
For stones and pebbles, I guess any smooth ones that would be easy to clean works. Pick some from river banks / beaches!

As for sponge, it's not recommended by many because of mold problems. So I say go with the rock!

My G.Pulchra also has a thing with the water dish... she (I think) often dumps the leftovers in it... so I need to change the water more often...

Love your Chaco BTW. Nice and stocky! Hope my sling will grow up soon...

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
JohnxII said:
My G.Pulchra also has a thing with the water dish... she (I think) often dumps the leftovers in it... so I need to change the water more often...
If you're finding leftovers in the water dish, I don't think they put themselves in there :)

Many Ts will utilise their water bowls as a waste container for food remains or a handy place to shove that substrate they burrowed. Others go further and figure it makes a fine toilet as well.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
yep, I have water dish bury-ers too. Sometimes I'll just take the water dish away after a day or so, and reintroduce it every week.
I also use marbles in some of the water dishes, they work well too.