Blacklights for Scorpion Collecting Discussion Thread

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok the bvlacklight I have is one used for fishing its bulky and doesn't emit a strong enough light to really light up the scorps so I have to walk around bent over looking for scorps. ok my question is is there any really good scorp hunting blacklights I can order online for around 30 bucks? I have seen the one in the baner for 70 bucks but thats little steep in my opinion... so if you guys can tell me which is the best then that would be great.

Eurypterid

Arachnerd
Old Timer
The ones I like are LED UV headlamps made by a company called Optronics. They aren't massively powerful, but I can spot a scorp from about 10-15 feet. The light is a small light-weight plastic headlamp, so carrying it is no big deal, and you can put it on your head if you need both hands. It has a low (4 LED) or high (8 LED) setting, runs for several hours on 4 AA batteries, and is waterproof to boot. Plus, LEDs are rated for a 10 year burn-life. The only thing I don't like is the strap and forehead pad, which are made of black neoprene (they market it for night fishing, hence all the water stuff). It's not the greatest headband material, and if you start sweating, the forehead pad gets slippery. But otherwise they are fantastic scorp lights.

Nightblaster HL 7800

I don't know where you can get them right now. Blacklightworld used to carry them, but they no longer stock them. I've searched and not found any other retailers, but I wrote to the company to see if they can point me to a retailer or will sell direct.

Gary

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Personally I prefer the Kugellager 2004 UV Scorpfinder with 2x24 UV LED heads, each controlable by a separate heavy-duty switch. :D

John
];')

Attachments

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Kugellager said:
Personally I prefer the Kugellager 2004 UV Scorpfinder with 2x24 UV LED heads, each controlable by a separate heavy-duty switch. :D

John
];')
did you make that yourself?

Critterfarm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
http://www.maxmax.com/aUVOrder.asp
there are quite a few hand held ones here.
Although Kugellager has a point. You can easily make one with parts from Digi-Key or Newark Electronics and maybe your local Radio Shack. I've a nice one made into an old hardhat floating around in the garage somewhere, but not the deluxe double header job like Kugellager's {D

You using 9volts to run that?
How much battery life do you get?
BTW you know I have to copy it now {D

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
canada sucks! all we have is racoons, beaver's and blue jays, etc... nothing interesting enough to go hunting for.. except maybe garter snakes, stupid garter snakes!

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
da_illest said:
canada sucks! all we have is racoons, beaver's and blue jays, etc... nothing interesting enough to go hunting for.. except maybe garter snakes, stupid garter snakes!
And P.boreus if you live far enough west.

Cheers,
Dave

Critterfarm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
da_illest said:
Dont forget my favorite snake, the Eastern Fox Snake. Southern Ontario is suppodsedly prime habitat for them.
If I'm correct, milk snakes and Eastern Hognose also can be found in southeastern Canada.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Well, if you do want snakes, Ontario has the following:

Black Rat Snake
Eastern Fox Snake
Blue Racer
Eastern Milk Snake
Eastern Hognose Snake
Eastern Garter Snake
Northern Ribbon Snake
Queen Snake
Northern Water Snake
Eastern Smooth Green Snake
Brown Snake
Northern Redbelly Snake
Eastern Massasauga Rattlesnake

We also have the five-lined skink, many species of turtles, salamanders, frogs etc. Of course we have lots of different invert species including various arachnids. No scorpions, though.

Cheers,
Dave

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
skinheaddave said:
Well, if you do want snakes, Ontario has the following:

Black Rat Snake
Eastern Fox Snake
Blue Racer
Eastern Milk Snake
Eastern Hognose Snake
Eastern Garter Snake
Northern Ribbon Snake
Queen Snake
Northern Water Snake
Eastern Smooth Green Snake
Brown Snake
Northern Redbelly Snake
Eastern Massasauga Rattlesnake

We also have the five-lined skink, many species of turtles, salamanders, frogs etc. Of course we have lots of different invert species including various arachnids. No scorpions, though.

Cheers,
Dave
thanks for sharing that dave, i wanna go hunting now! mainly for the skinks, turtles, and salamanders.. i guess when i said what i said i kinda meant my area... we have nothing but racoons and squerrils with the garter snake popping up once in a while... i'd really like to know where i can get skinks.. in the summer i go up to wasaga beach for days at a time and i've found frogs and toads there, me and my girl would collect them and keep them in a bucket for a while and let them go, now though since i'm really into reptiles i might bring one back with me (if it's legal of course)... there was one guy up there i met that went around collecting garter snakes to sell.. too bad we don't have t's...

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Alex,

It is not legal to collect anything but bullfrogs -- and for those you need a valid fishing license. If you have more questions re: Ontario herps, please PM me or post to the Not So Spineless Wonders section.

Cheers,
Dave

xenopus

Arachnopeon
Kugellager said:

John
];')
Heh heh -- that's very cool!

Piers

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
It will run off a 12v 8.5ah battery...I expect it will run 6-8 hours before the battery needs a re-charge...though I have not tested it with a battery yet.

...oh and I did build it myself...waitning to see what Dave comes up with though. ;)

John
];')

Last edited:

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Kugellager said:
...oh and I did build it myself...waitning to see what Dave comes up with though. ;)
I'm working away at it inbetween studying for exams. Still have to work out the handle.

Cheers,
Dave

redhourglass

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey all,

Actually I prefer the Kugellager 2004 UV Scorpfinder rather than the Maglites but look forward to Skinheaddave's 2004 UV model.

For those that don't know, I was actually refering to Kugs model c/o new technology when I posted at the scorpionfans ;)

Take Care,

Sinc. Chad

Eurypterid

Arachnerd
Old Timer
Eurypterid said:
The ones I like are LED UV headlamps made by a company called Optronics. They aren't massively powerful, but I can spot a scorp from about 10-15 feet. The light is a small light-weight plastic headlamp, so carrying it is no big deal, and you can put it on your head if you need both hands. It has a low (4 LED) or high (8 LED) setting, runs for several hours on 4 AA batteries, and is waterproof to boot. Plus, LEDs are rated for a 10 year burn-life. The only thing I don't like is the strap and forehead pad, which are made of black neoprene (they market it for night fishing, hence all the water stuff). It's not the greatest headband material, and if you start sweating, the forehead pad gets slippery. But otherwise they are fantastic scorp lights.

Nightblaster HL 7800
Well, I contacted the manufacturer, and this light is discontinued. They still have their smaller version, but not this one. The good news is that I went ahead and asked if they had any old stock they wanted to unload, as this is a great scorp light, especially since you can easily keep it in the glove compartment for those impromptu scorp hunts.

Well, they did have a few, and I bought them out. I now have way more than I will ever need, so I'm selling them. For details see this thread in the "For Sale" forum.

Gary

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
And now, introducing my entry for the 2004 season.

It consists of an outside floodlight fixture I had lying around, a spatula from the dollar store, a blank wall plate, some extension cord, a 4-way switch I scavanged off something at some point (allows 1, 2 or all 3 LED arrays to be on), a couple connectors and one of the many 12V batteries I bought off ebay. Overall this was a very affordable project for a very broke student. Now all I have to do is put some small beads of silicone to seal the main compartment and I'm set.

Cheers,
Dave

Attachments

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
Pretty damn cool man! :D I think I like the look of your design better than mine...They all swivel too...thats great. I await your test results ;)

You'll have to fully charge one of the batteries and do longevity test to see how long a full charge will last.

John
];')

Last edited:

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Well, the light does fine on my scorpion rack. I haven't tested it for distance yet. As for longevity, it was on for 5 1/2 hours before Tamara turned it off last night with no sign of fading.

Cheers,
Dave