How often do you see your arboreal?

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
K, this was supposed to have been a poll, but I can't seem to figure out how to make one of those, so we do it the less exact way.

How often do you see your Psalmopeus, Tapinauchenius, Avicularia, Poecilotheria, Heteroscodra, or Stromatopelma? (No, I don't mean a vague figure through partially glimpsable through layers of web, and yeah, I'm using 'she' here, but in the eyes of you beholders it will appear as he/she/it)

Is it:

1. When I moved her into her current tank. Not before, not after. She has a web, and she uses it. In fact, she eats cork-bark and will not try to escape even if I remove 5 out of 6 glass walls.

2. Sometimes, mostly during nights, for a few minutes or so. She wanders around exploring, or sits still somewhere outside her net waiting for food to wander by.

3. Couple'o' hours every day she's out exploring/sitting prone waiting for food.

4. Practically all the time. Every great once in a while, like when she molts, she retreats to her cobweb, otherwise she's out of it.

5. Web? She teleports to my shoulder after every finished drinking-session. She does not even know how to make webs.

Please state species, approximate age, and the most appropriate number.

Edit: Great, how was I supposed to know that the poll-making options would appear after I had finished the rest of the post?

Last edited:

brgn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Avicularia: with the few I have(2 adult minatrix, 1 adult purpurea, 1 adult bicegoi, and 5 purpurea slings) I have to say option one. I can see the bicegoi, but the rest are hiding in their silken retreat.

Psalmopoeus: I have only one adult female cambridgei from this genus, and have to say option 4. She never hides.

Tapinauchenius: Have 3 elenae slings, all hiding, so option 1 again.

Poecilotheria: almost 40 specimens ranging from spiderlings to adults.Of the species that are in the hobby I'm missing smithi and subfusca in my collection. Option 4, almost every single specimen is out in the open all the time.

Robert

Critterfarm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Heteroscodra: I have 5 of these, option 2 for all of them but 1. She is out quite a bit so I'd say option 4 for her.

Stromatopelma: I have 3 adult females, all would be an option 3. However, one of them is (hopefully) gravid and she has turned into an option 1 in the past month.

Avicularia: Recently got an adult female A. avic and I have to give her a 4 so far. (knock on wood)

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I recently acquired a "mystery Avic", which I initially had i.d'd at A. urticans, but now, due to my discovery that it is actually a chestnut or reddish-brown in color, and not greyish-brown at all, I'm not sure. Anyway, it is still in the process of constructing a web all over and around the upright cork bark in its enclosure, so right now, it's visable all the time, and doesn't seem too bothered by it. It's a very calm, laid-back little T, whatever variety it is!

pitbulllady

CostaRican

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have 3 Avic. Avic. one of them I see all the time always on the side of the glass. The other 2 have made claim to the holes in their bark with tube webbing. These 2 I only see at night.

rtshaw80

Arachnopeon
My lone A. avicularia (4), She's resting on the glass of her enclosure.
Adult female A. metallica (4), always in the open.
6 sling A. versicolors (4) but sitting in their silken retreats, though visibly.
1 sling A. geroldi (4), sitting against the plastic container wall.
1 sling A. minatrix (3), practically always hangs out in her tube web.

1 sling P. cambridgei (2) arboreal? this little one's a great burrower, only see'r when it nails a cricket at the entrance to her tunnel.

1 sling P. irminia (1) hides in a substrate lined tube web. Just recently molted so will see how much she shows herself.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A.avicularia On view in a semi-tube web.
A.bicegoi On view on a hammock web.
A.purpurea Partially hidden in a messy hammock web.
P.fasciata Quite bold, normally on the tank side.
P.formosa Actually spend most of their time burrowed
P.ornata On a log webbed to the tank at all times
P.regalis Behind a hollow piece of bark, some webbing
P.cambridgei In a burrow at the base of some bark
P.irminia Behind a totally impenetrable messy tubular structure of silk & earth
S.calceatum Similar to P.irminia web/burrow, rarely seen.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Poecilotheria~ for all the ones I have that are at least 3"+, they are mostly out in the open. They are visible 99% of the time.
The smaller slings are behind or wedged into corkbark a large percentage of the time.

Avicularia~ seems to vary wildly within the genera, or just within individuals:
urticans: hidden in her tube web 24/7, purpurea: out and about 99% of the time, aviculuria and braunshauseni: living in messy webs that they are constantly tearing up and redoing, huriana: out about 50% of the time.
I also have slings of metallica, and minatrix. They seem to like hanging out in their webbing, with occasional forays around the rest of the container. My versicolor slings treat their entire container like a large tube web, and are all over the place.

Heteroscoda maculata~ I am not even sure I still have a female, as I have not seen her in months :)
The male ranges all over the container, but I never see him anywhere near where (I think) the female is hiding.

Stromatopelma calceatum~ she is also visible about half the time, and is out and about every night

Psalmopeous~ the larger cambridgei slings are out alot of the time, the smaller slings are hidden at the base of their cork. As for irminia.....hmmm, do I even have one of those?! It's hidden 24/7.

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Adult Male Stomatapelma 2. I see him in the middle of the night and when I turn the light on in the morning. After that he's gone.

Zeus9699

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Poll

Most of my arboreals are usually in plain view. None of my Avicularias or Heteroscodras seem to care if I get close

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I finally got to see and take some pictures of my Singapore Blue (Cyriopagopus sp.) that I haven't seen (seen being defined as seeing its WHOLE BODY not just feet lol) in like 3 months or more. here are the pictures I'm so happy!! ..Who knows when I'll see her again because usually within seconds of the light going on in the tarantula closet she's gone within seconds. Tonight I actually got to take some really good pictures and even close ones and she/he didnt move what so ever....I wonder why.

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Nice thread revival!

All of my Avics stay inside their tube webs, (except my adult F A metallica who doesn't web at all and seems to be near her end) with the 2 largest femal A avics peeking out once in a while. My 2 teeniest slings- A amozonica and A sp "peru purple" wander around their little vials.

My Psalms are always visible but tend to be a bit elusive.
The Pokies are always out.

radicaldementia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A. Avicularia - I have 2 sub-adults. One is always sitting in the top corner of her cage and has made no webbing. The other has a large web and almost never leaves it.

My P. regalis sling sometimes digs a scrape, but is usually very visible.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Avics: Mostly out but sleep in their webs. My A. braunhauseni shows up every day!
Pokies: Always out, but have periodic fits of hiding
Psalmos: Cambridgei always visible, irminia always hidden.
Cyrio: Rests at the bottom of its bark, wanders at night.

Arboreal asian slings are often hidden.

AlainL

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,

All my 13 pokies are out in the open all night;)
Cyriopagopus and heteroscodra also.

My female cambridgei is out almost all the time but my P.irminia's rarely come out of there tube web.

I also have 2 A.purpurea, 1 is out most of the night and the other one is very shy.

All my T.gigas are out during the night also.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is it me or P. irminia realy deserves the title "Arboreal Pet Hole" ?????

hairmetalspider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My arbs are the camera who*es of the T world.

They build these amazing webs and when all the other T's run from the camera, I swear they purposely come out and start posing. "Oh, who me? Oh look a camera. I'm so surprised! *sticks out pedipalp*

So in other words, I see them a lot.

Tilted

Arachnopeon
My P.regalis is out just about all day and night But my A.metallica I barely get to see her and when i do and try to get a closer look she hides in her tube web