Another Avic ID

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm not sure but that spider on that background is really playing tricks with my eyes..lol..

greensleeves

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It looks a bit like one of the photos of Avicularia urticans on Rick West's site, but I am the last person who would know. :)

Greensleeves

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That looks just like the Avic I bought in Raleigh last weekend, except that mine is that reddish color(like on the sides of this one's abdomen)all over, with more of an orangey cast to it. Like this one, it has orange "toes" as well, and is very "leggy". It's not a mature male, unless males of this particular species have no enlarged pedipalps or tibial hooks. It's a very calm spider(for an Avic, anyway). Is this one of yours, by the way?

pitbulllady

bodc21

Arachnojason
Old Timer
here is a shot in the dark A.braunshauseni, looks huge.

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Maybe it's not obvious from the pic I posted that this is definitely no Avic avic, and not A. braunshauseni either. It has a yellowish carapace and pinkish hairs on the abdomen. It is very fuzzy and has some faint bands on the legs, but they don't photograph well.

I actually have five subadults of this species and I'm not going to divulge what they were sold to me as just yet. They are from Peru and wildcaught, hence why they are skinny little buggers! I just got them so I haven't been able to fatten them up yet. ;)

I took several more pics of these spiders for yall to check out and see if anyone wants to take a few more stabs at it.

"Pet trade A. urticans" might be a good guess but I'm not sure what species that ACTUALLY is......

Hope these next pics help.

-Kelly

Last edited:

krtrman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i am going to go out on a limb and guess Avicularia azuraklaasi.

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Where did you get them from? Wouldn't a dealer know for sure? So maybe from a pet store?
I no idea, the only avic I have is an A. avic, but I have never seen T's with such small abdomens! How long do you think they went without food and/or water?

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
looks WC to me..?

I think its an avic. wutchumacalllitus.... ;P i have no clue with that second pic you threw me back on the search engine......It looks very wild caught with that disminished ab...where did you get it...?

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Their abdomens are small because they were recently wild caught. Wild tarantulas are not fat-butted from keepers who spoil them. ;) Anyhow, it is kind of an optical illusion because the light pink hairs make them look thinner than they actually are. I'll be sure to post new pics after they've fattened up. ;)

It's not A. azuraklaasi.

-Kelly

Aviculariinae

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Not A Aurantiaca, Aurantiaca does not have the red on the abdomen! Most likely an Unidentified sp.

You said you had a couple of these,are they all the same cos my first thought was that it maybe a hybrid :? Still nice beasts :}

Cheers
Brendan

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Looks a lot like what I've bought as Avicularia ulrichea.

First 3 pics are pre-moult.

Here is a link a picture I have already posted in the Avicularia appreciation thread. LINK

Dennis

Attachments

Last edited:

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
@Brendan--If it is a hybrid, then it is one that occurred in the wild.

@Dennis--Hm, that does look a lot like mine. Where does ulrichea originate?

-Kelly

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
As far as I know they were first sold as Avicularia sp. Peru, so Peru would be my best guess :). I have no other ideas as to what this spider may or may not be, but it's looking good and it's fun to look at.

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Aviculariinae said:
Avicularia Ulrichea originates from Brazil.
I looked it up, and you are right about that one. But then I don't understand this little info from the pricelist of a certain German dealer:

Thomas Vinmann said:
Avicularia ulrichea, (früher Spec.I, grün, Peru), sehr friedliche Art, olivgrün mit goldenen Haaren
Aw well... Still a pretty spider. :)

Dennis

RichardDegville

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi all kellygirl you say they were wild caught via Peru? the thing is with most of the wild caught specimens coming out of Peru these days 9 out of 10 of them have come from else were and shipped via Peru thus leading to incorrect identification or collection details the sp in your photograph looks like "pet trade" ulrichea to me they range from brazil and as far as Peru however with the dubious description from marc Tesmoignt also ulrichea was redescribed by hj peters 1999 this could be Avicularia huriana or azuraklaasi or a mere polymorph or all one in the same sp or may indeed be a hybrid as most Avicularia sp will hybridise however with out exact collection details I can only guess there is hope on the horizon as the whole Avicularia genus is being revised by S Amer and im willing to bet out of the many Avicularia descriptions only a few named sp will remain.
Dennis looking at your photo I would say it is "pet trade" urticans again this again does not match up to the description by schmidt but is on the market labled as such so its any ones guess?
here is an undescribed sp wild caught in peru (or so clamied ) has any one seen this sp before because im buggered if i have.

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The plot thickens... one of my mysterious Avic species molted. The good news is, it's definitely a female! :) The bad news is that it's definitely NOT what it was sold to me as: Avicularia jurensis/magdalena. She's lovely and I will be able to breed her, as I have 4 more of this species and I'm bound to have at least one male. Unfortunately, now I'm really stumped as to what she is! Here are some pics of her out and about in her brand spankin' new exoskeleton:

Last edited: