P. ornata...dying. Mites? Dyskenetic Syn? I have videos...

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
(NO videos yet - still trying to get posted. sorry :( )

Okay -

So I found a couple of mites in my ~3" P. ornatas delicup 7/18/04, and I immediately moved it to a new container w/new substrate etc. I noticed that the spider was behaving normally, but a little jumpy - and rather than sit on the side of the new cup, it sat down around the bottom. It was responding normally to touch. I also did not notice any mites on the spider at all.

I checked in last night, 7/19/04 right before I went to bed - and it looked like it had made something similar to a molting hammock in the new delicup. It was pressed up against the wall of the cup, with visible mites crawling around its mouth area. White specks - that were moving around. My first reaction was to remove it from the container, and place it in a dry ICU with a waterdish. I did not want to attempt manual mite removal with vaseline/qtip because I wasn't entirely sure of it's condition (because of the strange behavior described below), and I'm not quite comfortable enough with my pokies to try and carpace grip them.

The spider did not respond to stimulus as per usual, and was not able to crawl up the walls of the cup while setting straight up. It was somewhat slumped, and let its legs go limp, twitching every once in a while. It would also make sporatic spastic attempts to climb the side of the cup, only to "tire out" and go back to twitching for a while. It reminded me of some of the dyskenetic (sp?) videos that I have seen people post. I also moved it around with a paintbrush, to which it was acting REAL strange - it kept crawling onto the brush, then "stiffening" up, then moving again.

I have videos of all this, and a video that shows me manipulating the spider with a paintbrush - which gives a pretty good idea of its state. I need to know a good (free) file hoster, or if someone could volunteer me some space to put the videos up on - I'd greatly appreciate it. I can't get to it this afternoon, but can compress and send the videos this evening, as well as add pictures to this thread. I've probably got about 10mb worth of AVI file now - that I can shrink. Please PM or email me if you think you could help me out - thx in advance.

AT this point, I'm not sure what to do. It's sitting above my refridgerator in the dark now, in a dry ICU. I didn't see any mites this morning, but it was about 50% unresponsive. I'm pretty sure it is on it's way out - but I at least wanted to share what I observed with everyone.

Last edited:

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Update: I euthanized the spider as soon as I got home from work - 7/20. It seems that it had completely lost control of it's body movements - and I didn't think it was going to pull through. This will be a specimen that goes to Kerry @ RIESM. I got some video of it right before I popped in the freezer, if anyone knows of a hoster I will get it all online.

Thanks!

Spidey_Girl

Arachnopeon
Oh , that is sad. I am sorry this happened to you and the spider. I am curious about one thing, how do you euthanize a spider?

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am so sorry for your loss, Abstract. :(

Spidey_Girl said:
Oh , that is sad. I am sorry this happened to you and the spider. I am curious about one thing, how do you euthanize a spider?
You euthanize one by placing it in the freezer.

---
Wendy
---

Last edited:

mick

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That's a real bummer buddy. I hate reading this kind of stuff.. :8o

Mick

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
it sure does sound like dyskenetic syndrome...glad you are sending it to Kerry..maybe it can help to figure this out. I've now had 2 pokies die of strange behaviour,(one of them a freshly mature male P ornata) and one of them I'm sure was also dyskenetic syndrome, although back then, I hadn't heard of the term.
My condolences to you.

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thank you everyone for the warm sentiments :) I've made arrangements with Kerry to put the bugger on isopropyl alcohol, and ship USPS priority by the end of the week.

I'll try and get pictures and videos up by this weekend...

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'm real sorry to hear about your spider.
I lost a Poecilotheria miranda last week to the same syndrome. Not a whole lot you can do.
I've got mine in my freezer and am planning on sending it to Kerry also for examination. It would be nice if they can pinpoint what is causing it.
Ralph

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
rknralf - did you notice any mite presence with your P. miranda? These mites irritate me - I've lost 3 total spiders, in which mites were found at the time of death - though not necessarily before. I can't figure out whether they are secondary to the ACTUAL problem, of if it's the mites themselves causing the problem.

I don't know if it's possible, but I suppose mites might eat the spider from the inside out, causing all of the weird behaviour that was observed.

The first two I lost were small - a GBB and P. pulcher, both ~1.5". I found them dead, with mites eating the carcass. I sent the pulcher to Kerry - but because it was in alcohol - any bacterial problem couldn't be analyized....all that was observed was the presence of them stupid little specks. This one just had mites on it - but was still alive.

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Pictures

Here is a pic of the ornata when I found it - in it's new cage - it hadn't had time to web yet. If you look towards the bottom left, you can see where the mites were apparent; a completely clean cup the day before:

Attachments

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Here is the weird pose he would get into - let it's arms hang backwards and upside down while twitching - then a rabid attempt to climb the side and so on.......

Attachments

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
And finally - here's a shot of the underside after I euthanized it. The mites are apparent around the mouth area, and both sets of booklungs - more pronounced on the lung on the bottom right (in this view)....I'll get the videos up when i can.

Attachments