Scorps under blacklight!

leiurus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It works great, dont worry. The pics dont do justice.
Its a bulb. I'll post better pics soon.

Dom

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
interesting, i have never heard of a bulb that produced much more than a faint dark green sheen on scorps. what kind is yours? how bright are the scorps in real life?

Hoosier

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I really like your pictures. What kind of camera are you using leirus? Oh, and I think I'm using the same critter keeper as you hehe :D

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here's a Zabius under blacklight :)
Greetings,
Eric

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Bulbs and tubes both suck. LED is where it's at!!! I recieved a 16 LED Backlight flashlight for my birthday, and it lights the scorpions up EVEN WHEN THE ROOM LIGHTS ARE ON! Words cannot express how impressed I am with the output of this light. The flashlight itself runs on 2 AA batteries and fits nicely in my pocket. My "black eye" portable flashlight just became obsolete. I cannot wait to try it in the field!

Wade

James M.

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wade,
Where can I get one of these flash lights your talking about? And how much are thay?

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My light came from this e-bay store:

http://stores.ebay.com/goldenpsx_LED-Flashlight_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZ1QQsclZallQQsotimedisplayZ2QQtZkm

I don't see the exact one I got listed now, but there are several others. Be sure that you're buying a UV light, most of the lights he sells are white light.

Prices range from $10 and up. More LED bulbs = more $, but more bulbs = more output.

There's also a banner ad here at arachopets that pops up periodically for a much bigger light, 32 led bulbs I beleive. It costs more than mine, but it might be worth it for field use since you can spot scorpions from farther away.

Wade

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Eric,

Is that a nice piece of calcite in there under the blacklight with your scorpion?

The rock really adds to the photo...I'll have to dig up my fluorescent minerals now.

John
];')

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Kugellager said:
Eric,

Is that a nice piece of calcite in there under the blacklight with your scorpion?

The rock really adds to the photo...I'll have to dig up my fluorescent minerals now.

John
];')
Exactly ! :)
Eric

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Kugellager said:
Eric,

John
];')
I've a large deposit of Autunite that would look excellent under UV, and conveniently scorpions are resistant to ionizing radiation :)

mick

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have read that uv light will kill a scorp. Is this true? :?
Mick

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
mick said:
I have read that uv light will kill a scorp. Is this true? :?
Mick
In some species prolonged exposure will lead to death as the UV will eventually destroy the scorps UV protection and kill it (or so
i've heard) but I think it would take a long time, especially with low intensity UV lamps.