Lasiodora surprise

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A friend of mine called today and sad he had a present for me. He came over and gave me a box with small spider in it. It was a NW theraphosid and I thought it came from another friend who been in Peru and this came along in the packing. But no. My friend found this walking on his bathroom floor..
In may 2000 we had a Lasiodora parahybana eggsack hatched and a number of the slings escaped in his apartment, and this one apparently survived all this time in his bathroom! Its very small, 3-4cm legspan.
It will be interesting to see if it will grow natural from now on or if it will get smaller in size as adult.

Anyway, it was surely a surprise!

/Lelle

Hogge2k

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
He, a lean diet of silverfishes don't do wonders for a Ts growth I suppose.

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
It will be very interesting to hear how it go’s, I know a few ppl who never heavily feed even slings and juv’s and claim they get to the same sizes as ppl who power feed but a take a lot longer but im not 100% convinced of this, Iv also seen a chap many years back who had some P.regalis at two years old and still under 3” leg span because he disliked powerfeeding which I thought not a great idea with a fast growing species with high metabolism but they still seemed to be healthy.

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Crotalus said:
A friend of mine called today and sad he had a present for me. He came over and gave me a box with small spider in it. It was a NW theraphosid and I thought it came from another friend who been in Peru and this came along in the packing. But no. My friend found this walking on his bathroom floor..
In may 2000 we had a Lasiodora parahybana eggsack hatched and a number of the slings escaped in his apartment, and this one apparently survived all this time in his bathroom! Its very small, 3-4cm legspan.
It will be interesting to see if it will grow natural from now on or if it will get smaller in size as adult.

/Lelle
So the spider was four years old and roughly just over an inch in legspan?
That's the size of a relatively young sling in that genus!

How many times has it molted since you found it, and is it putting on any size yet?

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
sheri said:
So the spider was four years old and roughly just over an inch in legspan?
That's the size of a relatively young sling in that genus!

How many times has it molted since you found it, and is it putting on any size yet?
Hey Sheri,

Its molted twice and doubled in size. Very healthy and no problems with it whatsoever.
Amazing bugs huh?

/Lelle

Freddie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Crotalus said:

/Lelle
You can send it to me - im way too good to make animals way too fat :D
Then it will be twice as big as others.... at least to abdomen size :rolleyes:

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Crotalus said:
Hey Sheri,

Its molted twice and doubled in size. Very healthy and no problems with it whatsoever.
Amazing bugs huh?

/Lelle

It's final size will certainly add speculation as to the effects of "power feeding" a sling, and underfeeding before sale. (To a hobbyist)

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
sheri said:
It's final size will certainly add speculation as to the effects of "power feeding" a sling, and underfeeding before sale. (To a hobbyist)
Yeah, it will be interesting to see how much it will effect it. We´ll see in a few years or so. I never thought a sling was able to survive such rough conditions, I find it incredible.

/Lelle

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Freddie said:
You can send it to me - im way too good to make animals way too fat :D
Then it will be twice as big as others.... at least to abdomen size :rolleyes:
Its pretty fat here, his/hers days of bread and water is over :)

/Lelle

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Do you have any pictures of this? a 4 year old L parahybana would be almost full grown, sounds suspicious to me. I've had mine for almost a year and it is pushing 5 "+. I'm very doubtful it is that particular T but would like to see it.

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
NYbirdEater said:
Do you have any pictures of this? a 4 year old L parahybana would be almost full grown, sounds suspicious to me. I've had mine for almost a year and it is pushing 5 "+. I'm very doubtful it is that particular T but would like to see it.

The spider in question was poorly underfed - hence the small size.
Lelle has been in the hobby since 1986, there is no doubting the source.

Probably the only thing that saved the little guy was the moisture and humidity... By the sound of it, it will likely reach "normal" size within a year, provided it doesn't drop dead for some reason which implies that they can stagnate, yet still survive, putting off growth until conditions are more conducive to survival.

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
guess I shouldn't ask for clarification anymore? Just curious of what it looks like sheri. And if I didn't question everything, I just wouldn't be me.

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
NYbirdEater said:
guess I shouldn't ask for clarification anymore? Just curious of what it looks like sheri. And if I didn't question everything, I just wouldn't be me.
I know the deal, I provided some of the clarification and completed that particular transaction. ;)

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
NYbirdEater said:
If you read my initial post you understand why it was not adult after 4 years.
Also I gotta ask what good a picture would do? Can you tell by looking at it its been starved for 4 years in a bathroom? No. And what 'other' t would it be? My friend dont have other ts... A neighbors Lasiodora juv on the run? I dont think so.
Choose to take my word for the truth in this or choose not to. I really coudnt care less to be honest. Just dont call me a lier.

/Lelle

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
sheri said:
I know the deal, I provided some of the clarification and completed that particular transaction. ;)
haha. I still want to see a picture. It's not every day something like this happens. Curious what it looks like. A 4 year old bird eater pushing 2nd or 3rd instar size. Must look somewhat different, and if not, even more amazing.

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Crotalus said:
If you read my initial post you understand why it was not adult after 4 years.
Also I gotta ask what good a picture would do? Can you tell by looking at it its been starved for 4 years in a bathroom? No. And what 'other' t would it be? My friend dont have other ts... A neighbors Lasiodora juv on the run? I dont think so.
Choose to take my word for the truth in this or choose not to. I really coudnt care less to be honest. Just dont call me a lier.

/Lelle
So much for questioning people today. point out where I called you a liar. Just curious is all, never heard of something like this where a T who would be 10" is still tiny and merely survived off of moisture. Maybe for future reference you should add to your posts that you a perfect, never make mistakes, and are the supreme tarantula keeper of all time and that no one else has the right to question what you say on a forum or ask to see proof, even if they do beleive you and are just curious. Don't worry I'll stop posting here now and find a more meaningful thread. :mad:

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
NYbirdEater said:
So much for questioning people today. point out where I called you a liar. Just curious is all, never heard of something like this where a T who would be 10" is still tiny and merely survived off of moisture. Maybe for future reference you should add to your posts that you a perfect, never make mistakes, and are the supreme tarantula keeper of all time and that no one else has the right to question what you say on a forum or ask to see proof, even if they do beleive you and are just curious. Don't worry I'll stop posting here now and find a more meaningful thread. :mad:
Questions are ok offcourse, and I dont blame you for think this sounds a bit strange. I do too. Theres insects and smaller spiders in a bathroom, so I think the scarse supply of those made the spider survive along with thr moisture.

I never claimed to be perfect, but you should read the initial post before replying ok? I explained the event there. And I answered your picture qeustion didnt i? And you can be all suspicious you want. Dont expect me not to reply on that kind of hints.

Yeez. I thought I had provided some useful info on survival of a sling in extreme condition - but apprearently i was wrong... ASG!!
Ok then, back to roseas flipping over..

/Lelle

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
NYbirdEater said:
haha. I still want to see a picture. It's not every day something like this happens. Curious what it looks like. A 4 year old bird eater pushing 2nd or 3rd instar size. Must look somewhat different, and if not, even more amazing.
I will post a pix later on (got no camera for the moment), but it will disappoint you - it looks like a regular L.p. Bathroom confinement dont alter the general appearence of a t - except its abnormally small for the age.

/Lelle

Freddie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Crotalus said:
Its pretty fat here, his/hers days of bread and water is over :)
Bread and water? Bread in the bathroom? *grin*
Damn i love metaphors.

Hopefully it will survive and grow a nice beautiful t and wont lost all its legs like all mine do :) Better there than here... i barely remember feed shitsligs...