correct pronunciation of names?

Rounder

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
anyone happen to know a site showing how scientific names of Ts are pronounced?

Rourke

ArachnoProletariat
Old Timer
I won't go into specific pronunciations, because I have neither the time, nor the energy to engage in argument with those who would take offense......BUT...

The majority of contemporary Latin scholars would take issue with much of what Beechhold has to say in the piece posted by the ATS. Particularly with regard to diphthongs. Look there if you simply seek agreement with many in the hobby. Look elsewhere if you seek accuracy. I know these two things should be the same, but they're not. I suggest finding a few basic "Latin Pronunciation 101"-type websites and taking the time to read them. There are many, and some are very good.

Rourke

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Latin 101...

I have been trying to pronounce some of these for over 20 years and still get some of them wrong. I am content to be able to read it and know what it is.

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Mr. Rourke said:
The majority of contemporary Latin scholars would take issue with much of what Beechhold has to say in the piece posted by the ATS. Particularly with regard to diphthongs. Look there if you simply seek agreement with many in the hobby. Look elsewhere if you seek accuracy. I know these two things should be the same, but they're not. I suggest finding a few basic "Latin Pronunciation 101"-type websites and taking the time to read them. There are many, and some are very good.
This is true but a lot of the time i simply fall back on using normal English instead of the proper keys, some of the names are much easier to pronounce with them and often sound more "natural" others are much easier too cop out on, 9 times out of 10 another hobbyist will know what you mean in both cases.

Elizabeth

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Actually, there's a lot of wiggle room in biological latin pronunciation. It's important not to confuse this with classical latin.

Here's a link to a site that discusses mostly bio latin, but touches on the differences from classical latin:

http://www.saltspring.com/capewest/pron.htm

I don't think anyone should worry too much about being right or wrong. Better to just be consistent as to which rules you apply, IMO. Also, the goal in any language is to communicate, to get your thoughts across clearly. To this end, it often helps to use the pronunciations that are used by the majority.

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
all i know is when you type it it SHOULD be in italics and genus is capatilized and species in not capitalized. though i dont italicise very ofted...

EXAMPLE: Avicularia avicularia

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
Why is it no "pronounciation" sites ever have Avicularia braunshauseni on them?? Ive heard it pronounced once...and promptly forgot it...

8leggedrobot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh dear, I was quite wrong on many of those. :rolleyes: So much for my latin class.

darkeye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
OldHag said:
Why is it no "pronounciation" sites ever have Avicularia braunshauseni on them?? Ive heard it pronounced once...and promptly forgot it...
brawn-SHOW-sen-eye

ok?

m