Wingless Fruit Flys As Feeders

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Here's a little tip I discovered due to my recent explosion of scorpion births. I currently have about 200 2nd and 3rd instar scorpions that need to get fed if I want them to survive. I usually let them canibalize themselves down to more manageable numbers but with these recent batches I have wanted to try to rear as many as possible.

Pinhead crickets are relatively easy to raise but need quite a bit of setup to get startd and are somwwhat difficult to collect when they hatch out...evne when using straws etc. If I were to buy them it would cost a fortune for what I would get out of it.

I decided to try using wingless fruit flys knowing that they almost always climb the sides of the container and therefore become useless to the baby scorpions. I thought of many ways how this could be avoided but discovered the easiest and best soultion by accident.

The natural behavior of the wingless fruit flys is to climb to the tops of the containers...or so you would think...in actuality it is to climb to the highest point...makes sense.

In each of the baby scorpion enclosures I have small pebbles or other objects to create lots of hides. What I discovered is that when the piles of pebbles or other objects was in the middle of the enclosure away from the sides the fruit flys climb to the high points and stay there.

So what I have done is to make small piles of hides in the centers of the enclosures for the baby scorpions to hide in. I make the piles out of objects the scorpions can easily climb such at pebbles, bark and peat seedling cups. I keep my fruit colony in its original container.

When I want to feed some of the fruit flys to the babies I gently tap the fruit fly container to get them off the top and sides and quickly open it and pour some on the little piles in the scorpion enclosures. You need put paper towel or cloth under the scorpion container lid to prevent escape of the ones that will still cilimb the sides and remember to close both lids quickly to prevent the rest of the flys from escaping. But so far this method seems to be working and allows the babies to feed on the wingless fruit flys by provding little feeding stations in their containers.

I'll keep everyone updated as I continue to try this method.

John
];')

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
John, I have been wanting to try this myself. I have one question: Where do you get them?

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
My local herp store sells them for $4.50 USD for dart frogs. I know you can order them online but I have no clue where. Maybe someone here will know if you can locate them at your local pet store.

So far the colony I bought has lasted two weeks and still has tons of larvae and flys. I'm going to try ro prolong it by trying to grow my own cultures. We'll see how that goes.

John
];')

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Kugellager said:
My local herp store sells them for $4.50 USD for dart frogs. I know you can order them online but I have no clue where. Maybe someone here will know if you can locate them at your local pet store.

So far the colony I bought has lasted two weeks and still has tons of larvae and flys. I'm going to try ro prolong it by trying to grow my own cultures. We'll see how that goes.

John
];')
Sure sounds more cost-effective than pinheads.

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
im glad you are having sucess, because JESUS CHRIST fruit flies are the most annoying prey item :p

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
George Carnell said:
fruit flies are the most annoying prey item :p
I'll be the first to admit that. But you know they are slightly larger than pinheads and you get 1000's of them in a colony for that price...so I had to try something in order to get a more cost effective and low maintanence food supply. Already prepped wingless fruit fly colonies seemed to fir the bill if I could just overcome their tendancy to climb up and out of the scorpions way. The method I discovered works well so far but there is still some wall climbing. It's not perfect but I am satisfied with the results so far.

John
];')

Last edited:

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
are yours totally wingless? because the ones i got could "jump" about 5cm (out of the box)

wells303

Arachnopeon
Has anybody tried to pop them in the fridge for say 3 min to put them to sleep? I tried this with crickets and it worked well.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Why nbot just prekill the flies or the crickets I thought scorpiosn will scavenge?

Eurypterid

Arachnerd
Old Timer
I used flies this last spring when I also had a huge number of new scorps, and they worked well. And yes, I did refrigerate them to slow them down when feeding, which also worked well.