spider from Iraq???

MeteoRa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Has anyone seen this species of spider before :? ...i've never seen this one before... I found this picture from a forum...it says that this spider eats flesh...

it inject some sort of anaesthetic venom into a person that was sleeping... so the person didn't feel anything while this creature eats it's flesh off.... the next morning the victim woke up with part of his/her arm gone... :eek:
eaten by the spider...

i have no idea if this is crap or true...one of my friend even saw it in the news....has anyone saw the news before....

Attachments

leiurus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
First, this is not a tarantula.

Second this is not a spider, this is a solfugid.

Yep, I already saw that pic, and these animals arent venemous.

MeteoRa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
leiurus said:
First, this is not a tarantula.

Second this is not a spider, this is a solfugid.

Yep, I already saw that pic, and these animals arent venemous.

so the information from the forum i saw is false....
thanks for the info...anyway, what's a solfugid :confused:

MeteoRa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Socrates said:
No, they DO NOT eat flesh. {D

I found the below 2 links on these Boards...and there are more if you do a search. (...and your thread might be moved cause it's not a tarantula....)

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=30675&highlight=iraq

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=23896

---
Wendy
---
thanks wendy....

it's alright if this thread is removed... cos this is what i saw from a forum in china, that's what they actually said... they said it's a spider and i'm not very sure...so i posted this thread here...

and thanks for the links you've show me...

at least i've learned another thing... :D

willywonka

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
There is an interesting article about them in July's(I think :? ) issue of National Geographic.

Runaway987

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This peach again...

Solfugids are arachnids sometimes known as sun spiders and camel spiders.

They are as much a tarantula as a lobster is :D

They are very active apparently but dont live too long, my local reptile store has a few of them, gruesome looking things.

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If the person that took that shot got paid every time someone used it, they would be rich. It seem like i see this pic ever couple of weeks.

tarantula_tom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This is on the cover of the ATS forum Vol. 13 #2. Its actually a doctored photo of two dead windscorpions.

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Windscorpions and whipscorpions are different things.

-Kelly

Scorp guy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
just so you know, i saw the exact same forum, and part of his arm wasnt gone, just a nasty mark, and a solfugid wouldnt do that, they are veneom-less and wouldnt harm a human even if they had the chance.something that could deliver such venom into his arm must of been a scorpion or a large wasp.

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Solfugids are actively called, Solpugids, red romans, sun spiders, camel spiders, wind scorpions, and wind spiders.

I used to have one of these and actually dared to hold it.. it mauled anything dropped in its cage, I won't even put down what it ate.

Mine lasted a few months at best i've had two of them now.

I also read an interesting article about them saying that pound for pound no animal on earth has stronger jaws. For their size their jaws crushing power is much more than a sharks.

All rumours about their speed, having antiseptic to numb you while they bite, jumping up on camels guts and laying their eggs in them, and even taking bites out of soldiers are all myth.

what is factual though is in the desert they may appear to be chasing you, they are actually trying to hide under your shade from the scorching heat.

They can overpower anything of similar size including scorpions, spiders, lizards etc but do occasionally fall prey to their own prey, (I have seen scorpions and spiders eat them).

Hope that helps..
Ryan

Last edited:

aggie08

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My buddy's dad is in the US Army and has served in Afghanistan. He said when the soldiers get bored they find a camel spider (not a spider, but it's what they call them) and the biggest scorpion they can find and fight them. Apparently the camel spider always wins because it's so fast and it knows to clip off the stinger of the scorp. Check out this video, it's pretty cool.

http://www.ecologicproductions.com/ref_movies/tsck_Spider.mov

brova golin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
wild

these are an amazing creature and are also found wild in south turkey, whilst on a trip there i managed to catch one in a hotel complex, they are very fast and will bite but only to get away they are venomless an ugly as sin. gol