Poecilotheria fasciata, climbling on an arm

WayneT

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
LOL...always nice when there's a camera nearby! She is a very beautiful specimen!

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
:eek: THAT is not only a stunning, but a HUGE Pokie as well! :eek:
I couldn't even imagine having one that size climb/run/teleport up my arm unless I was wearing "Depends". {D

---
Wendy
---

Angelo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
WOW :eek: exaclty how do you get one of those on your arm? :? :?

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
how to get pokie off arm...

without getting bit? i cant really properly awnser that as i dont have pokies but i would guess put your arm in the tank and wait. or perhaps a miracle? cant really say as i dont know their temperment...

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Socrates said:
:eek: THAT is not only a stunning, but a HUGE Pokie as well! :eek:
I couldn't even imagine having one that size climb/run/teleport up my arm unless I was wearing "Depends". {D

---
Wendy
---
I agree,

I have a large P. formosa, and I wouldn't even think of handling her. First of all, she is so quick. Second, I don't want to get bit by a Pokie!

Arachnoking

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Poecilotheria sp "pokies" are not what i would call aggresive at all.

slow deliberate movements on the part of the keeper are the key with these and other fast moving species.

i realy dont think that Poecilotheria deserve the reputation they have with regarsd to there temperament or there venom toxicity because there have been very few studies carried out on there venom.

mick

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:eek: :eek: :eek: I think I would have died on the spot. I had an almost mature male regalis take a run at me and damn that thing is lightning fast...I almost died there so to have one actually get onto my arm...well I dont know...I'd freak out. Thank God you didn't get bit...up to a yeay and a half of symptoms after a bite doesn't sound appealing.

Mike

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
mick said:
:eek: :eek: :eek: I think I would have died on the spot. I had an almost mature male regalis take a run at me and damn that thing is lightning fast...I almost died there so to have one actually get onto my arm...well I dont know...I'd freak out. Thank God you didn't get bit...up to a yeay and a half of symptoms after a bite doesn't sound appealing.

Mike
Mike, I hate to ask stupid questions. (even though I sometimes do :rolleyes: ) but....
Where did you get the info on a pokie bite having a 1 1/2 yr bite symptoms. I had never heard that before. :confused:

Arachnoking

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Apart from possibly P.ornata which are a little more defensive ive found my pokies to be no more inclined to bite than any avics ive ever kept. and thats no exageration. they r lightning fast but thats about it.

Cpt.nemO

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Whats one of the worsty case scenario of a fasciata bite ? what can it cause ??

What about a medium case scenario ??

What are the most common effects after the bite of a fasciata ???

Thanks for your time.

CreepyCrawly

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow! That is a BEAUTIFUL spider! I don't know what I'd do if a huge pokie (even one as gorgeous as that) decided to streak up my arm. But you're right, it does sort of in that one picture look like a very awesome tattoo...

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
OK....please my noobness lol, but that looks just like a P. regalis to me...what differentiates the 2 species? I thought only the regalis had the yellow under the legs?

Oh, and that is a GORGEOUS spider by the way! :eek: :drool:

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That recalls the memory I have of my P. murinus (ocf) running up my arm, and letting me know it wasn't happy. It started to go up my shoulder, then stopped. Then you could tell it was irritated and panicky and then it sprayed poop all over my arm. Lets just say I probably would have been safe wearing depends that day. Lucky enough I didn't need them.

Just one little note: If you get a tarantula on your arm that doesn't have what one would consider a docile attitude, don't blow on it unless you want it to climb higher to the source!

surena

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
DavidBeard said:
OK....please my noobness lol, but that looks just like a P. regalis to me...what differentiates the 2 species? I thought only the regalis had the yellow under the legs?

Oh, and that is a GORGEOUS spider by the way! :eek: :drool:

SriLankan Ornamental "Poecilotheria fasciata" and Indian Ornamental "Poecilotheria regalis" are from the same family. That's why they look so much a like. This part is taken from the http://www.swiftinverts.com site that briefly explains the difference between the two species :

"From the monsoon forests of Sri-Lanka, these awesome arboreals are similar in coloration as P. regalis, only are absent of the pale abdomenal band, and have more purpleish highlights on carapace. Never a dissapointment with these" (swift).