The "Mirror Spot"

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Does anyone know why some species of tarantulas have this feature, especially Avicularia versicolor ? Does it help ward off predators or what?

pitbulllady

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
re:re: The "Mirror Spot"

Elizabeth said:
What is the "mirror spot"? It's something on the abdomen? :?

This is a patch of highly reflective, irridescent short hairs found on the rump of certain tarantula species. It's most evident on the aforementioned A. versicolor . To some people, it might appear from photos as a bald spot, but it isn't.

pitbulllady

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The Mirror spot...

My Versi and some of my Grammastola's have this spot too. It looks like a bald area but it is not. It looks like crushed velvet or something.
Bald areas will be pink. I don't know what this mirror spot is for. Kinda cool looking actually. :? :)

Randy

Arachnolord
Old Timer
maybe its a reflector? ok just kidding, i've seen a few too and dont really know why it's there .. maybe like what's been mentioned earlier on, its used for defense ? ? who knows..

Angelo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
recent studies show this patch is used to reflect harmful alpha, beta, and gamma rays from entering the tarantulas abdomen.:eek: naw, just kidding, i really dont know what the point of it is. i do know what you guys are talking about though. my rosie had one after she molted. it really wasnt really that reflective, but that patch eventually fell off, some of it landing of me creating very painful memories. i personally beleive that it could be urticating that are maybe more easily removable when defense is needed :? not really sure, makes me wonder why an avic would have it then. hmmmm........

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok are we talking about the urticulating hairs? im pretty sure thats what you are refering too. you can see it on baby tarantulas really well its the only black hair on the things but yeah anyway it probably the urticulating hairs

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
oh yeah and avics do have urticulating hairs they just arent airborn they have to rub them on to you. which probably isn't that good of a defense mechanism

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yep, That's It!

Raindog said:
I think this is what PBL was talking about...

http://www.giantspiders.com/A_versicolor.html

The appearance changes, depending on what background the T is near, since it actually does reflect colors, if not images, like a mirror. Last night I was holding one of my versi's, and I was wearing a blue shirt, and the spot on the spider's butt appeared bright blue, a deeper blue than her carapace. In the pic I took of the same spider, which I posted here last week, it appears slightly yellowish, since the container was sitting on a yellow table. I'm sure it is made up of urticating hairs, but I have to wonder why it is so shiny and reflective.

pitbulllady

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think if it is reflecting its surroundings, its purpose is camouflage.

WayneT

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Obviously they've done it to confuse and baffle all of us!! {D I always wondered what that patch was. Maybe one of the breeders/dealers should be pm'd about this. :?

averagebehr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
mirror patch

I believe even afew off the dealers will have mixed answers on grammostola sp. i have to go with johnny jon but the reflection of certain light waves is valid considering certain types of crop pest were affected by what they ingested and it oxicidized in sunlight causing death hence explaining why slings are black compared to the different coloring in adults

Ultimate Instar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Actually, this makes me wonder how Ts look to other critters. I know that some arthropods can see ultraviolet. For example, some flowers may have a different appearance to a bee which can see ultraviolet light. Click on this link to see what I'm trying to say:

http://www.cals.ncsu.edu/course/ent591k/nectar_guide.html

Thus, the patterns and colors on a T may look very different to a non-human creature. I wonder how tarantulas look to a predator like a pepsis wasp.

Karen N.

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
I think this might have something to do with confusing enemies/prey items. Much like how a tiger/lion swaying their tails etc.

For those T's with prominent "mirror spots" that' I keep, namely GBB's and Chaco's, they all raise their butt's when they feel they're being threatened. Oh my sub-adult G. Pulchra does that too occasionally, although the spot is less obvious.

MyNameHere

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The distraction/confusing predators/prey idea makes sense. It prob'ly catches light and makes them focus attn higher than where the actual threat/morsel is.

MilkmanWes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Is this Mirror Spot the curiously reflectiv spot I see on the top center of my GBB sling?