My first Haplopelma sp! (Any Hap experts in the audience?)

WayneT

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have been fortunate enough to make some very wonderful friendships through these boards. One of them, Atalanta, scored a sweet deal on this Haplopelma for me, which I recieved yesterday. It was marketed as a Thai Black, but I don't believe this is the elusive minax. But I'm searching...thought some of you Hap experts could make this search a little easier for me. ;)
This little one is a pure DEMON that's all attitude and pure EVIL!! I love it!! And in honor of Atalanta, I proudly give to you JAYHAWK! (although when my OSU buds come over, the name is Pistol Pete! {D )
Atalanta...thank you again so much for the find! I owe you one! ;)

Attachments

Atalanta

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wayne...I LOVE the name, of course! Glad your new baby arrived safely, and it looks much happier than it did when I was packing it! :) I'm very curious about the sp. ID as well.

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
GORGEOUS new addition, Wayne, simply stunning. Looks to be on the intimidating side, too. Have you had a threat posture yet, have you bonded with that Beauty yet? {D {D

---
Wendy
---

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Oooooooooo, she's gorgeous!! I would hazard the guess that she is a "longipedum".

I keep all my Haps on 7"-9" of damp potting soil. Once they burrow, I let it dry out. The dampness helps them to construct their maze of tunnels and get it webbed up without it falling on them! Once they are burrowed in, you will probably never see them again!

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Looks a lot like H.sp "longipedum" but looking at leg IV H.sp "Vietnam" is the more lightly Leon or Soren could give a better "maybe" then me tho.

WayneT

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks everyone...I had it narrowed to lonipedum, but I wondered about the leg markings as well FryLock. Can't seem to find info on that Vietnam sp., but I am still searching!

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
WayneT said:
Thanks everyone...I had it narrowed to lonipedum, but I wondered about the leg markings as well FryLock. Can't seem to find info on that Vietnam sp., but I am still searching!
Try this post by leon >Here< from this thread >Here< your spiders leg IV looks too short and thin compaired to leg I and II to be "longipedum" but not big on haps to know.

WayneT

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thank you FryLock and Atalanta for the links you gave me. Now I AM confused! {D But I agree on the length of the legs. Also on that link, Lopez makes the comment about these being hard to identify from a simple photo. I am in complete agreement with him! The quest goes on...

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here, have at it:

Hap #1

Hap #2

Hap #3

Hap #4
Is non-existant because I thought I had four, but I don't, just three. LOL ;P

Joe1968

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
yep, i bought the same T 2 months ago labeled thailand black, still not sure what Haplopelma species though.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Martin H. said:
why?

all the best,
Martin
Because, at the moment, that seems to be all that is available to us here in the U.S. :( There are black Haplopelmas everywhere, they are being sold as "longipedum", minax, "Vietnam"....

I was just going to suggest to Wayne that he PM YOU with the photo, as you are the "King of the Haps"! ;) Although some of my VERY FAVORITE Ts, I'm never sure of WHAT I'm getting when I buy one!!

At least I'm 100% positive on the i.d. of my schmidti and lividum! :p