Housing Spiderlings

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Since there has been a few questions about keeping slings lately, I thought I would show how I do it. This for sure isn't the only way and I hope that others will show what they keep their youngsters in.

First up is what Wal-Mart calls a spice shaker jar. I use these for 1/4 to 3/4 inch slings. In this jar is a P regalis that is about 1/2 inch long. If it was a terresterial species I would have deeper substrate.

Attachments

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hey brian not being picky, but i think that is a bet small for a 3/4"sling. Would be great for 1/4". this is just my opion. I know lots of people do this.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A large salt/pepper shaker like this makes a handy container for a terresterial sling from 1/2 up to a little over an inch long. I usually try to give slope to the substrate since it gives a little more "leg room". Get it yuk! yuk! (well so much for dry jokes :rolleyes: )

In this one is 3/4 inch Ceratogyrus marshalli. If you look close you can see it's burrow. ;)

Attachments

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
cichlidsman said:
hey brian not being picky, but i think that is a bet small for a 3/4"sling. Would be great for 1/4". this is just my opion. I know lots of people do this.
It will work for up to a 3/4 incher but no bigger

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This is a 1/2 gallon jar that I keep a 2 inch Greenbottle Blue sling in. It should be big enough for the next 2-3 molts I'm thinking.

Attachments

Stealth Taco

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I went ahead and transferred my 1 and 1/4 inch G. Aureostriata to a small critter keeper. To make the food easier to find since it is a bit large, I just place the crix in front of the keeper.

Elson

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey brian , thanks for sharing it with us...that's a good idea ... {D

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I also have some pint jars that I keep some of my slings in. I will get some fotos as soon as I can remember to bring the camera from work home with me.

I am always keeping my eyes open for potential bug containers. I guess that is part of being a tarantulaholic :)

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This is 1 of the pint jars. You can see that the substrate is deep and at a slant. I normally do that with terresterial slings. In this jar is a 1 inch P murinus.

Attachments

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The pint jar I use for arboreals is only different in that I use shallow substrate. The 2 inch P cambridgei mixes alot of substrate in with it's webbing. It looks like a total mess but when the lid is removed you can see that it has made little tunnels.
Now let's see some other pics :D

Attachments

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Brian S said:
The pint jar I use for arboreals is only different in that I use shallow substrate. The 2 inch P cambridgei mixes alot of substrate in with it's webbing. It looks like a total mess but when the lid is removed you can see that it has made little tunnels.
Now let's see some other pics :D
Very cool brian. I did'nt realize that p. cambridgei were such webbers. thanks for the pic.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
cichlidsman said:
Very cool brian. I did'nt realize that p. cambridgei were such webbers. thanks for the pic.
hehe yeah they can disappear like H lividium. It wouldn't be as bad if it just wouldn't bring substrate in the webbing. It sure makes the jar look like hell {D

mouse

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i usually buy the mason jar pepper shakers from walmart for slings 1/4" - 3/4", and then transfer them into the kitchen shaker (the clear plastic with white lid that you showed).i found a 4 pack of plastic jars (1 1/2"wide,4 1/2"tall) to put my avics and p.cambridgei in (1/2 - 1"). the p.cambridge camuflages its web and tunnels below. found a kerr jar with plastic lid (lid looked like a sieve, 3" wide 6 1/2"tall), got my 1 1/2 obt in that one. and all my pepper shakers are sitting next to each other in a 15" long 8" wide, 5" high kritter keeper wich i leave the top off. but only so i can pull all off the shelf without knocking them over.
dianne

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I just set this one up for 2- 3 1/2inch arboreals. This is just a common quart jar. Just below the leaf and to the right a little is a coke bottle cap that I keep full of water. I hot glued pieces of tree bark on the bottle cap to give everything a natural look.
In this one is a 2 1/2 inch P rufilata

Attachments

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hey Brian,

When Martha Stewart gets out of kiddy camp, maybe you can be on her TV show, and do a special on creative ways to make custom T enclosures for under $10? :worship:

Those were great ideas, thanks for sharing :)

azztigma

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If a jar is too small, what happens to the T? does it stress it? Like I keep my avic avic in a pretty small container...my avic is about 1 1/5" and the container is smaller than the very first pic you posted...

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Professor T said:
Hey Brian,

When Martha Stewart gets out of kiddy camp, maybe you can be on her TV show, and do a special on creative ways to make custom T enclosures for under $10? :worship:

Those were great ideas, thanks for sharing :)
HEHE Thanx Professor. You know the saying, "Poor folks have poor ways" :D

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
azztigma said:
If a jar is too small, what happens to the T? does it stress it? Like I keep my avic avic in a pretty small container...my avic is about 1 1/5" and the container is smaller than the very first pic you posted...
I would say as long as it is tall it would be ok. The arboreals don't need as much floor space as they do vertical space. If it is 1.5" it would do fine in a pint jar.